Soft Start Board Goof

InfernoSTi · 11448

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
on: July 19, 2012, 04:43:35 PM
On the second mono block, I made a big goof.  Reminds me to be patient, right?

I was measuring B6 and it was spot on (298 v DC) when my hand slipped a bit and I shorted it to B7.  Of course, I heard a loud POP and then my voltage when to zero. 

I'm going to have to figure out what I damaged/destroyed.  I feel pretty dumb...I had just looked up to take the reading when my hand slipped just enough to short the two. 

Any suggestions on putting my "parts list" together would be appreciated.  I'll be good at the soft start boards by the time I'm done with this project!

Best,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 05:35:23 PM
Pretty sure the 431 (B side) is toast. It probably did the fuse thing and protected the 5670. The 220 stopper at B7 is probably a goner as well. Don't know about the "A" side MJE5731A, it may have seen an excess voltage.

When you say "voltage went to zero" - give us a hint, what voltage? Is the whole power supply dead? Or just B6? Any LEDs glowing? Any tube filaments glowing?

Paul Joppa

Offline InfernoSTi

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 06:06:09 PM
Hey Paul,

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  

The filaments on the 5670 are lit.

None of the LEDs are glowing now.

However, when I plugged it back in, after about 30 to 45 seconds, as second louder pop (with blue flash) happened and my MJE gave up the ghost (it must not have been the first pop).  Very dramatic the way it has taken itself apart:

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fsphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ash4%2F382463_3918888245880_1915094592_n.jpg&hash=46bcbfc5e12241d9fd85217387a82f9a66de0d55)

I guess I'm a bit nervous about taking voltage at this point...hmmm, I built it right, I'm sure but once I shorted it, things are going south fast.  If there are specific reading that I need to take, let me know.  

Best,
John

John Kessel
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:38:35 AM
John,

You might want to go for a new board.  There is no telling what was molested on the old board.

Offline InfernoSTi

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 02:36:04 AM
Thanks Grainger.  I have sent a PM to Doc and Queenbottlehead....

Best,
John

John Kessel

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 08:26:31 AM
On second thought, I agree with Grainger. Get a replacement board and all the components, then you know there are no damaged parts.

Paul Joppa

Offline InfernoSTi

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 03:32:49 PM
As ever, team Bottlehead has come through...the new board and parts arrived today (and I've got the old one out and everything ready to go).  What great customer service! 

I just need to get a free evening to concentrate on this last step. I feel pretty good because the previous build had me spot on the first reading (and the same with the mono block I didn't blunder up).  I will be taking my time on this one, though.

Best,
John

John Kessel

Offline InfernoSTi

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:33:58 AM
Well, I guess when one thing goes wrong, chances are something else is off, too.  That happens to be the case with this project. 

I did get the replacement board built and installed.  All heaters light up and all four LEDs light up and my B6 was 301v (expected 300v).  That was the good news. 

The next reading was A2 which was very low: 4v and falling (meaning it just kept dropping on the meter).  Expected was 465v (that is what I had on the first build).  I think it must have been residual charge in the capacitor, perhaps?  It behaved that way, anyway.

Then I checked T16 to make sure I had power going in and it was 563v (expected was 464v).

At that point I turned things off and decided to wait until I had a little more time to take a look at things.  I could be missing a simple connection.

So what would cause me to be too high on the input to the soft start board and too low on the 2A3 side of things?  I will do a complete list of the resistance and voltage readings but any early hints of where to look would be great!

I'm thinking I could also just set up a "mono" system with my one good unit, right?

Best,
John

John Kessel

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 10:19:56 AM
John,

When a tube is not conducting everything from the plate back in the power supply floats high (because the tube is not conducting).  Try swapping tubes with the good side.  

B6 says the voltage regulator and the 10mA CCS are working.  

A2 is the plate of the 2A3/300B and it is fed through the plate choke.  4V is awfully low for the plate.  What is the voltage on the other side of the plate choke?  That 400+V has to be somewhere and disappearing before the plate.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:16:28 PM by Grainger49 »

4krow

Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:32 AM
I have an alarm clock that talks. People laugh, but I don't squint at night. Now you might know what I am thinking here,   a meter that talks when asked to. "99.9 Volts sir" (I added the sir part)

Offline InfernoSTi

Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 04:23:40 PM
Grainer,

The tubes are fine...did the double swap (both the 5670 and 2A3) to make sure.  I haven't put the tubes back in because I wanted to check the resistance figures again.  So perhaps I have found the start of the solution: since the previous situation, the resistance has changed on the following points:

Expected/Actual

T9: 124K/280K
T19 128K/280K
B4 130K/280K
B6 177K/280K

I'm haunted by 280K!   Hmmm.....

John

P.S. Hey Greg, a talking meter would have (most likely) saved my bacon!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:30:02 PM by InfernoSTi »

John Kessel

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 02:52:41 AM
John,

Ok, so not a tube problem.  Just checking.  Moving on to resistance, no tubes installed...

T9: 124K/280K
T9 is connected to the grid of the output tube (is it 2A3 or 300B?).  The grid will not read to ground.  The resistor in series to the grid will not come into play here.  So... looking back into the plate of the driver (looking at the schematic) there is a 300k ohm resistor, RLd, to ground.  That is awfully close to 280, I think that is good.  The manual must be wrong.  Or I'm missing something.

T19 128K/280K
T9 and T19 are connected by the red of the red/black twisted wires.  You should be ok there.

B4 130K/280K
B4 is the plate of the driver, attached to T9 and T19, well, T19 first.  So the same thing applies.

B6 177K/280K
HOLY COW ! ! !  I can't tell what resistance you should see there.  B6 is the regulated voltage on that 5670.  So since you get 1V off of desired at this point I wouldn't worry.  

The problem is the 4V and dropping at A2.  That is just not right.  So go back and see what voltage you get at the top of the plate choke, that is the end that is not attached to tube pin A2.

Like I said above, "That 400+V has to be somewhere and disappearing before the plate."

I have an alarm clock that talks. People laugh, but I don't squint at night. Now you might know what I am thinking here,   a meter that talks when asked to. "99.9 Volts sir" (I added the sir part)

I think that is Jim's meter.  I always miss that my meter says 0.703 K ohms, so 703 ohms.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:17:11 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline InfernoSTi

Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 11:06:00 AM
Grainger,

This is built as the 2A3 version.

The A2 (edit: is the plate) and A3 (edit: is the grid)...A3 is 21.5v.

I traced this value back to the 300K resistor on the soft start board. The 300K resistor is attached at OB and reads 21.6v on the OB side of the resistor.  

I compared to the "good" amp and that reads 150.0v on the OB side of the 300K resistor.  So I would guess the issue is on the soft start board?  

Thoughts?

John
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:47:14 AM by InfernoSTi »

John Kessel

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 11:38:46 AM
John,

A2 is the plate, A3 is the grid.  In the 2A3 version of the Paramount the A3 voltage is equal to the B4 voltage, they are connected.

In Paramount V 1.1 A3, the grid, A3, should be A2/3.  This voltage is adjusted by using the bias adjust  on the new driver boards.  Since this is a new build I expect this is the case.  It is a 10 turn pot so don't be too gentle.

IIRC, when you adjust the grid, the plate changes a bit.  So check back and fourth several times.

This might just get you there.

Offline InfernoSTi

Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 11:53:48 AM
Thanks again, Grainger.  I can adjust the voltage at OB down (the wrong direction!) or up but it stalls at 21.98v so that isn't the solution yet.  I feel like it is something simple.  Is there a transistor or other semiconductor that I might have toasted that would cause this?  All four LEDs light (two..on the A side...are very bright, two...on the B side...are very dim but lit).

John

John Kessel