Outrageous MANUALS

Guest · 1717

4krow

on: July 27, 2012, 03:49:18 PM
Manuals for the FP III and Quickie. Just a note to say how incredible that I find the manuals for these two kits. I can only hope that the rest of the world will follow suit(take the IRS for example). VERY informative, and photos when necessary. No doubt you have received praise of this kind before, but onlt because it's true.  Now, back to my experiments.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:03:18 PM
Greg,

Yup, best in the business by far, even for me without the pics.  But if it's ok for a little constructive criticism, there are some things I'd like to see that would make building these a whole lot eassier for me to handle independently -- like verbal descriptions of how the terminals and major components are laid out and their designators, some minimal text that might explain something like," route the twisted pair to the tube socket as shown", and the real creme de la creme would be a verbal description of the circuit with part names, terminal designations and connections.  Of course that is really asking for a lot and I do have a couple of friends who I can trust to do these things for me, but I know they tire of it and I'm always cautious about showing somebody else's intellectual property to somebody else, even if I do trust them and they are not in the audio business.

Of course these were the same issues I faced in grad school with all kinds of diagrams and such, and for the most part I really never could get what I wanted in that regard, but the few profs who were willing to make the concession to explain what they were writing on the board, etc. inevitably ended up getting all kinds of thanks from a healthy percentage of others in the class.  Why?  because a significant portion of the population is geared to learning this way and the more multi-modal the presentation can be, the more people you're going to have understand your material, and more deeply.

Certainly not a rant, so please don't take it that way guys, but now you have a technical writer on staff and he needs something to do (just kidding, Josh). :D

Don't want to derail the thread, but yes, the BH manuals ar the best I've ever seen, anywhere.

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:06:20 PM
I second the thought. I built a t-amp from 41Hz. I should say 'tried' to build. The 'documentation' was crap. 'Support' was crap. Forum support 'crap'. Bottom line - it never worked. --- I guess I needed to get that out of my system. Bottlehead  documentation - fantastic! As well as all the other points. Keep up the good work guys (and gals).

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:10:36 PM
As a follow up... Hey Greg...Quickie fired up yet? What do you think?

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 05:52:02 PM
Hey Hey Haaay, this is a complex process that will take time(unless I just go ahead and build it ver batem). After all, it is all for the sake of 'what if'. Was gonna originally use brass for a top, but turned to thinking that this purple colored plastic has some possibilities. We'll see, we'll see...

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:02:39 PM
Greg - you have a PM

Eric