What else can I do to make SEX 2.1 quieter?

Todd R · 8355

Offline Todd R

on: August 18, 2012, 10:27:13 AM
The amp is sounding great, and installing the impedance boards helped a bit in quieting the amp because I could match the impedance more closely to the phone in use, but I need to eliminate the remaining noise.

The issue is when I use my JH Audio 16 Pro monitors (Input Sensitivity: 118dB @ 1mW Impedance: 18 Ohms). I still have a hum/buzz that I can hear. It still occurs when disconnected from the source, it does not get louder or quieter when I change the volume, floating the ground does not change it, and as soon as I hit the power switch the noise goes away instantly. I have tried it plugged directly into the wall as well as into my PS Audio PPP regenerator.

These are the only headphones I can hear the noise with. It is not an issue with any other headphone I have tried it with.

Any suggestions for what I can do to get it quieter?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:39 AM
Sounds like heater induced hum.  Pin 8 of the tubes should be grounded.  Check this.  The heaters are DC, which should be quiet.  But I'm pointing a finger at the heaters.  Someone else might correct me.

Offline Todd R

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:00:54 AM
According to the assembly instructions, the cable shield is grounded, but not pin 8.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:08:45 AM
I was looking at the schematic from the old manual.  There is an earth/ground sign on the lead to pin 8 on the old schematic I have.  Actually on one leg of the 6.3V transformer.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:11:22 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Todd R

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:22:51 AM
I see that too. I'm looking through the instructions and am not figuring out where that connection was ever made unless it was one of the mounting bolts to the safety ground?
The only other one I see is from terminal 10 to terminal 3L.
That's all of them, correct?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 11:49:54 AM
The new power transformer (PT-7) has a center tap on the filament winding, which is taken to chassis ground to kill the capacitively coupled noise from other windings. It's transformer terminal 10.

Current production SEX 2.1 no longer has the 120 ohm resistor in the headphone line. That resistor, while problematical with some specific headphones, did reduce the voltage sensitivity of low impedance headphones, bringing them in line with the high impedance phones. (For the OP's 18 ohm phones, the difference would be 18dB.) However, the special switching jack is no longer available so that feature had to drop out. You can get the same effect by switching to balanced operation, since you have the impedance switch boards. What value resistor is installed?

Making the amp itself even quieter than it is would take some experimenting, in order to find out exactly where the noise originates.

Paul Joppa

Offline Todd R

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 12:11:17 PM
Paul,
I have the 60.4 ohm resistor installed.
I have tried the headphones in balanced and it didn't make a difference.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 06:39:57 PM
That's odd. It doesn't make a huge difference, but you should see some attenuation - 8 or 9dB. Only in the lower two impedance settings though. Don't match the "impedances", use the 4 ohm (LO) setting to get the lowest voltage out.

Paul Joppa

Offline Todd R

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 02:04:56 AM
Any other thoughts?
Maybe better components somewhere or a different grounding scheme?

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 06:23:09 AM
I've noticed that some 6DN7s are hummier than others. My coin bases are unlistenable, for example. I have another pair that's ok for speakers, but way too hummy for headphone use. The tubes are cheap, so get some more and eXperiment if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:26:06 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 07:04:08 AM
Any other thoughts?
Attenuating the headphones works for all noises, but actually reducing the noise depends on why it is noisy. In the development phase, the first thing we did was to add DC heating on the tubes (you might want to check that the center-tap is actually connected to the chassis ground). The next thing we did was to add a de-coupling stage in the power supply for the driver section. Those were the two biggest sources of hum. So now you are down to diagnosing what is the next-biggest one. Putting larger or better caps in the power supply (for instance) won't help unless the ones that are there are too small. Same for replacing a resistor with a choke.

Paul Joppa

Offline Todd R

Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 03:40:58 PM
I've noticed that some 6DN7s are hummier than others. My coin bases are unlistenable, for example. I have another pair that's ok for speakers, but way too hummy for headphone use. The tubes are cheap, so get some more and eXperiment if you haven't already.

Which ones did you find that were quiet?

Offline Todd R

Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 11:46:16 PM
Any other thoughts?
(you might want to check that the center-tap is actually connected to the chassis ground).

It is

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 03:59:37 AM
This is assuming that you are hearing 60Hz hum - if I had to guess it might be that the one set of headphones that is picking up hum is the only set sensitive enough to pick up hum induced by a bit of magnetic coupling from the power trans to the signal wiring. I've been experimenting lately with some different cables and I have determined that a very symmetrical coax cable such as Belden 9259 or 89259 seems to do an excellent job of rejecting that kind of noise. So it might be worth experimenting with replacing some of the output wiring with coax.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:02 AM
Dan,

I've been using 9259 since the late 80s.  I didn't' know anyone remembered it.  Really GOOD coax.  I even bought a double 9259 back about 1988. 

Todd,

Reading Dan's post above, could you shield your headset wiring?  Just as an experiment, wrap it in aluminum foil (just nearest to the SEX amp) and touch the foil to the top plate.  This should help if the headset wiring is picking up some hum from the power transformer.

Ok, I have a SEX 2.0 manual, and looking at the completed picture...  Hanging on the statement that the hum disappears when it is turned off...

SWAGGING here, try getting the extra wires of the output transformer (maybe not in the 2.1, I don't know) away from the power transformer. 

Try STP to the speaker outputs and the headphone outputs.  Of course grounded at one end but not both.  In the case of the headphones maybe Shielded Twisted Triplet? 

Wrap a piece of foil around the outside of the Solen output caps and ground that. 

Doc and PJ have done so much to eliminate noise that is all I have.

Maybe VoltSecond can help.  He knows more about killing noise than I do.