How do you remove the marks on the panels left by the bubble wrap?

dbishopbliss · 16539

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
I think the active ingredient in dishwasher soap that doesn't like aluminum is alkali. My wife has some old aluminum cup cake pans she has run through the dishwasher, and they look the same as you plates now. Most everything that is bare aluminum in our kitchen is marked hand wash only. I suppose the type of detergent you use makes a difference. It's weird they got that bad from one washing, the cupcake pans took a few times through before we noticed the problem. You could sand them and get them anodized, or plated with any number of things. Doc may even be able to re-grain them. Good luck, I can't wait to see your cabinet. I just received my kit, and am planning some cabinet mods myself.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Yeah, the guys may not use any detergent in the dishwasher, I'm not sure. And yes, I am sure I could redo the graining. The few panels we have left in stock have been grained. Sounds like WD 40 is the solution for anyone else who might have the same problem.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:44:47 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Bill Chase

I my panels with a fine (400) grit pad on my palm sander.  This should work on the dark dots David mentioned too, though you may want to start with 220 grit, then move to 400+ for final.

Bill Chase
Digital music collection enjoyed thru:
   Mac Mini to Jolida Glass DSD DAC
   BeePre & Stereomour I
   Seductor EL84 Amp
   DecWare Ultra Preamp w 5x Paramount 300Bs with Magnequest Iron
   Crack with Speedball
   SEX v1
Guitars and Ukulele enjoyed by Tode

Offline 2wo

• Test
Even a Scotchbrite pad may do it...John

John Scanlon

Offline Dyna Saur

• Yippie-Ki-Yay....
Mine didn't have the bubble marks,  all it needed was a quick clean-up in the top front panel area, for the graphic overlay, to be carefully applied.

BTW, my Tode arrived in just 2 days from WA to NC! 

Already have the back panel / PSU completed, and started on the frontpanel,  just got the "scoop" filter step completed.

/ed B in NC

ed brown

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Not that it does much to help David, but I wonder if the hot weather across the country made the "sticky" on the bubble do something abnormal in transit. Reminds me of the times we have had to ban Hershey Kisses in the boxes. Anyway, David, my offer stands. I am more than happy to ship you another set of panels, not wrapped in sticky bubble!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Dan,

I expect that you buy bubble wrap in large rolls.  So isolated cases would have to be something that happened after packing.  

I'll pitch in with Dan on the heat during delivery.  Since I'm home I get a package that is HOT out of the truck.  And I mean hot.  I don't know why the heat in those trucks don't bake the brains out of the drivers.  

David,

Take Dan up on it and get to building!

Offline dnm

Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 05:24:59 AM
Mineral Spirits was very effective.   Rubbing alcohol removed the marks, in part, but mineral spirits fully and completely dissolved all the marks left by the remaining adhesive.   

When I removed the wrap from my panels, the adhesive even caused particles of the plastic wrap to stay adhered to the panel.   I flooded the panel with the mineral spirits, which penetrated all the swirls, loosened all the plastic still stuck on there, used a soft tooth brush in a circular motion to scour the panels, then flooded the panels with rubbing alcohol to fully wash off the mineral spirits.     

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 06:06:04 AM
Thanks for the tip, that is good to know The obvious solution to this was for us to use non-adhesive bubble wrap, which we have changed over to for shipping the panels.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.