How do you remove the marks on the panels left by the bubble wrap?

dbishopbliss · 16254

Offline dbishopbliss

I have tried windex, mr clean, lysol, dawn and a sponge with a scrub pad.  I still see the dots left by the sticky bubble wrap.  Any other suggestions?

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Grainger49

I had the same problem with an LP.  The answer didn't come to me so I posted. 

If it is sticky, use Goo Gone.  My LP got a spin on the 16.5 afterward but showed no signs of damage.  Still doesn't 4 years later.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Didn't realize the bubble left anything on the panels. If you haven't assembled them you might try running them thru the dishwasher

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tcell

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 04:35:19 AM
Worked great.  Yeah, Doc, I was going to comment on this too.  It'd be better to avoid having the adhesive side of the bubble wrap directly contact the metal.

Bottlehead Gear: Foreplay 2&3, Extended S.E.X., Paramours I w/ iron upgrade, Straight 8's, Tode, Bottlehead DAC.  Guitar gear: Les Paul Standard 1981, Ernie Ball John Petrucci BFR, POD HD500x, Marshall JCM1, TC Electronic G-Force.

Offline saildoctor

I have to clean adhesive goo off sails and metal bits all the time at work. Acetone and GooGone are the stuff of choice. There is a product called Goof-Off that works great- but it is really nasty stuff.

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline STURMJ

Rubbing alcohol should work too

Offline dbishopbliss

Rubbing alcohol should work too

I tried rubbing alcohol last night and it worked on the smooth (inside) of the plates pretty well.  I still can see the residue on the brushed (outside ) of the plates when I hold them at an angle.  I'm going to try Goo-Off next.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays

Offline Grainger49

David,

As Kerry said acetone will melt away anything that is on the plate.  But I'm beginning to suspect that the plate is slightly marred.

If that is the case fine Scotchbrite across the whole plate in the direction of the grain will get rid of the mar.  Before finishing you will want to clean the metal powder that will be left.  

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
No, don't do that! The panels are rather painstakingly brushed by yours truly in a somewhat complex pattern. Sanding them with scotchbrite will royally f*** that up. My suggestion once again is to try the dishwasher. That's what we do here if a panel that is going into a finished product has any residue on it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Dan,

My suggestion was only in the case that the top plate was marred.  If it can be cleaned it isn't marred.

Offline mrarroyo

I have found that clay bar (yes for car paint) removes just about anything from surfaces. Just make sure you use soapy water so the clay bar slides and does not stick.

Offline dbishopbliss

No, don't do that! The panels are rather painstakingly brushed by yours truly in a somewhat complex pattern. Sanding them with scotchbrite will royally f*** that up. My suggestion once again is to try the dishwasher. That's what we do here if a panel that is going into a finished product has any residue on it.

Well, I tried the dishwasher and I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL!!!  The panels turned dark and discolored.  In addition, the dots are very pronounced now.  You might consider removing the post so nobody else tries it.  See the attached images.

I think I'm going with paint now. 

David B Bliss

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Wow, I have never seen that before in 18 years. When we do panels in the D/W here they come out really nice. We can send you another pair of panels.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dbishopbliss

There is still residue on the panels so I'm going to try the Goo-Off to see if I can clean them up before painting.  If that doesn't work then I might want some new panels that haven't been brushed.  However, the enclosure I'm building will be covering up most of the front panel so it might not really matter.

David B Bliss

Offline tcell

Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 04:15:13 PM
I used it on these very plates to get off the very same dots of adhesive. Cleans up easily with windex, fantastic, etc.

Bottlehead Gear: Foreplay 2&3, Extended S.E.X., Paramours I w/ iron upgrade, Straight 8's, Tode, Bottlehead DAC.  Guitar gear: Les Paul Standard 1981, Ernie Ball John Petrucci BFR, POD HD500x, Marshall JCM1, TC Electronic G-Force.