First listen.

dw · 13959

Offline dw

on: February 26, 2013, 08:08:03 PM
I'm now listening to the BeePre, late at night. It's very soft, and quite pleasant. The level is 38-70 dB SPL.
I'm playing Blue Coast Collection in DSD format through Korg/AudioGate software to emu 404 usb to
BeePre to Paramount 2A3 to vintage Klipch LaScalas. The Paramounts have the soft-start upgrade and
an L-pad on the inputs. The previous pre-amp was an extended foreplay III.

While I thought the foreplay III was excellent, I think this is a step up. The background noise is completely absent.
The voices sound even more alive. The guitar strings sound like I'm listening to my 9 year old son practice.
The background instruments sound clear, distinct, and balanced in a way I have not noticed before with this recording.
I've never enjoyed this music this much at this low a level. I can't wait to listen at louder levels.

-Dave

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:35:14 AM
Those are some good descriptions of the BeePre.  Did you try it without the attenuators or do the LaScalas require it.

Since I don't know him, is this a good thing? 
   .  .  .   The guitar strings sound like I'm listening to my 9 year old son practice.  .  .  .   

-Dave

I'll bet you didn't know you had a noise background till it was gone.  This happens to all of us.  I didn't know that there was some bass missing in the Seduction till I plugged in my Eros.  It takes a comparison.

Enjoy the music!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:19:45 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline dw

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:38:07 AM
I have not tried it without the attenuators. I'm at about 75% on the volume pot when the music
is 70-80 dB. So, I may adjust the lpad. I think its cutting the voltage by about 3/4 or more now.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:17:28 AM
I've been using an iPad and an iPhone for running in some new speakers and the output from either does seem relatively low.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dw

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:33:06 AM
Hi Dan,

That was L-pad I was referring to ;-) The annenuator type. No iphone/ipad as a source yet.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:49:35 AM
Hah! I think we have just discovered an excellent source of confusion. My bad for not reading your first post well enough.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jaggy

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:54:06 PM
I finished the assembly of my BeePre this evening, completely stock.  The manual and packaging were great - assembly was a breeze, with no post-assembly hardware debugging required.  I still need to finish the base to match my Eros.  I'll get to that eventually I suppose ;D

The Bee is replacing an older Denon AVR that I was using as a preamp between my Eros/Squeezebox/TV and a Rotel solid state power amp.  New hotness fit in my rack - barely!  I actually had to remove the damping o-rings and couldn't use any damping feet.  So far I've only listened to it along with the Eros.   Spun on a few records, and...

...in a word, brilliant.  I was expecting at least some increased detail and clearer soundstage (based on my previous Eros upgrade experience) but am still really surprised by how much my system improved.  History seems to repeat itself...just like when I hooked up my Eros I once again feel the need to re-listen to most of my record collection.

Thanks for offering another great kit!

Offline denti alligator

Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 04:56:45 PM
Thanks, jaggy. You make me want this amp more and more!

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline dw

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:50:08 AM
I adjusted the L-pad on the input to my amp such that when the volume is at 100 % the sound level is 80 db SPL
nominal and about 70-95 peak to peak. When I pause the source and put my ear right next to the speaker
(still at 100 % volume) I hear no hum or static at all. I don't know that this is the best way to guage the noise floor,
but I thought it was interesting.

-dw

Offline debk

Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 03:41:35 PM
I am listening to my BeePre for the first time.  Very nice! Compared to the FP III, the BeePre seems more detailed, and the music feels bigger, more alive.  I thought the FP III sounded great, the BeePre is a step up!  Great job Bottlehead!

The BeePre is stock for now except for some Mills resistors I had in my stock.  I will roll some 300B's I have and see if that makes much of a difference.   At the moment I have Psvane 300b's in the BeePre.  I also have to say the vinyl coated lead rings, "the Ultimate Tube Damper" work great at reducing microphonics.

The Beequiet upgrade is next

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 04:25:17 PM
Just wait until the caps open up!

Paul Joppa

Offline debk

Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:11:49 PM
I have about 25 hours on the BeePre now and it sounds better and better.  It sounds smoother and more open as time goes on.  I continue to be impressed, and this is totally stock.  My BeeQuiet should be here tomorrow and it will be interesting to hear what changes it makes.  I will upgrade the caps to ClarityCap MR series at that time.  If anyone is interested I posted pictures of the build on my facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.560114427346872.1073741825.100000449587686&type=1

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline xcortes

Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 07:53:21 PM
I wish I could finish debugging my SR45 and get back to the BP!

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 02:12:08 AM
I wish I could finish debugging my SR45 and get back to the BP!

You really should just give up on the SR45 and get back to the BeePre. I'll give your SR45's a good home ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:07:14 AM by johnsonad »

Aaron Johnson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 03:07:55 AM
I have about 25 hours on the BeePre now and it sounds better and better.  It sounds smoother and more open as time goes on.  I continue to be impressed, and this is totally stock.  My BeeQuiet should be here tomorrow and it will be interesting to hear what changes it makes.  I will upgrade the caps to ClarityCap MR series at that time.  If anyone is interested I posted pictures of the build on my facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.560114427346872.1073741825.100000449587686&type=1

Deb

Deb, I'm unable to view your link.

Aaron Johnson