How many people hadn't done this sort of thing before

akatsuki · 2565

Offline akatsuki

About to pull the trigger on an Eros, but this will be my first time trying something like this. I've soldered a couple of wires for my motorcycle in the past, but nothing that required any detailed work. I was paging through Ward's awesome step-by-step, and while super-helpful, it is also intimidating. So am I getting in over my head?

Also, while I am at it, I've read through the various potential upgrades, and it sounds like output caps are the best bang for the buck change - anyone using Jensen Cu-Oils or V-cap CuTFs?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 06:34:33 AM
The Eros is a pretty good choice as a first project, though it has a fair number of steps, there are tests to do along the way to keep you on track.

I wouldn't worry so much about the coupling capacitors until long after you have finished the preamp (put 500+ hours on it before tweaks). If you go for caps that are physically larger, you can use 0.47uF at 250V+ so the installation will be manageable (I use TFTF).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline akatsuki

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:28 AM
Thanks... the Stage 3 thing scared me. I am also just worried I will end up with a half completed kit sitting there for months, but that has more to do with having two young children than soldering competency...

Offline caffeinator

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:20:39 AM
The first Bottlehead kit I completed was a SEX amp, followed by the SEX upgrade.  After that, Paramounts, a Seduction, a FPIII, and now a BeePre in work.  I have an Eros still in my project backlog, and it looks to me to be one of the more involved builds.

If I was to do it from easiest on up, I'd have started with the Seduction, probably followed by the SEX, the Paramounts, and FPIII.  However, they all use the same skills, so if you can do one of them, you should be able to do any.

In my experience, trying to an upgrade in the midst of the original build is a great way to get yourself stalled.  If you do choose to do that, keep it really simple - capacitors might be the sort of thing that wouldn't be too problematic.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 06:12:54 PM
I'll also share that we got a built Crack with Speedball in for repair today at the office.  It had been built with lead free solder, and consequently we had to suck as much of that solder off and resolder every joint in the amplifier. 

Though this sounds incredibly arduous and expensive, it was all wrapped up and working properly in an hour, so I can say with great confidence that assembly issues don't mean your kit has to live in a box at the bottom of your closet.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline akatsuki

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 01:45:38 AM
OK, that is encouraging!

Offline akatsuki

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:06 AM
So I posted this in the Tech Tools forum, but does this seem like the right stuff that I need?

http://www.amazon.com/lm/RR8MBV04TA0G/

Offline bjorgens

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 11:27:25 AM
FWIW.  I am just finishing up my paramount builds...first amplifiers I have ever built.  I'm generally a quick study on such things, but my direct experience was ummm... limited.  I found a couple very minor things I needed to address during resistance and voltage checks, addressed them, and everything works fine thus far ... due in no small part to the quality of the instructions and the completeness of the kits themselves.

I.e. IMO if you simplify your work-space as much as possible and allow yourself to go slow...I'd bet you'd do just fine.

If you're concerned about your soldering skills, pick up a couple quick mini-projects at radio shack or build a nixie clock kit, etc....sometimes it's good to have a bit of confidence first.

good luck!
bryan

Bryan Jorgensen

VPI Traveler (Ortofon 2M Bronze)
Coffman Labs G1A preamp/phono/ headphone amp
Paramount 300B monoblocks
First Watt F4 clone
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe speakers and subwoofer
Cardas cabled Sennheiser 600s

Offline RickS

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:36:38 AM
I'm not a pro but have successfully built a Foreplay III and Stereomour.  The one tool not on your list that I have found useful on occasion is:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-MZ101B-Helping-Hands-Magnifying/dp/B000RB38X8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362609142&sr=8-2&keywords=third+hand

They aren't real sturdy but are very portable.  A little tape or heat shrink around the clips protects anything delicate.

Rick

Foreplay III, Stereomour w/ JJ 2A3-40 and Psvane 12AT7 tubes
Blumenstein Orca FE83-SOL speakers / sub
BH power cables & interconnects
HP Stream 11 running WTFPLAY, Supra USB to Teac UD-301 DSD DAC
Rega Planar 2 w/ AT95SH cartridge, GT subplatter, 24V motor, SRM-Tech Silent Base
Seduction w/ C4S