My take on the BeePre

johnsonad · 34396

Offline xcortes

Reply #75 on: August 24, 2013, 07:17:23 AM
At least the chassis is heavier which should help with microphonics :)

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #76 on: August 24, 2013, 07:25:00 AM
Good point my friend! 

Aaron Johnson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #77 on: February 17, 2014, 06:38:46 AM
It's been a while since my last update but I'm continually impressed by this preamp! Today I decided to give the Dynamat Extreme a second chance as I'm running out of things to tweak and I had nothing better to do on a holiday morning. This time around I put at least two layers on as much surface area as I could to include the inside if the base. Well I'm happy to report that there is a small improvement to ring decay both in length and frequency.  The ring is shorter in duration and has less high frequencies to it.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Deluk

Reply #78 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:45 AM
This has been a very interesting read. The nearest valve connection for me is that I have been running a pair of Quad IIs for many years. They are currently having a rest, with a Luxman L30 doing duty at the moment. You say you're running out of things to tweak so I wonder if you would consider doing a complete volte face and see what seating your BeePre on a very lightweight stand, maybe just a slab of polystyrene, as a test. A light table is considered ideal for sprung turntables and might also present your tubes with a fundamentally different set of vibrations. Consider it a low cost experiment?

Offline johnsonad

Reply #79 on: February 27, 2014, 03:15:41 PM
I actually have it on the cement slab floor currently. All I can say is that it doesn't sound any worse. More to follow once I move the system around a little more.

Aaron Johnson

Offline rockpassion

Reply #80 on: February 27, 2014, 05:14:56 PM
I have now had my BeePre for approximately 4 months.  It is slightly microphonic when I bump the stand or the case but otherwise I hear no negative feedback through the preamp and I have my speakers very close to the preamp.  Maybe I should get the silicone rings that Doc recommended and see if there is a change. 

Having said what I said, the musicality of this preamp is head-and-shoulders above my old FPII.  I have run it using a Curcio modified Dynaco MKIII and a Quicksilver Mono using EL34/KT77.  The Dynaco is very detailed with dynamic bass and pure highs, while the Quicksilver has some great mids and soundstaging.  But in both cases this preamp is stunningly musical. 

This preamp coupled with the Eros is a magical combination. 

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline RPMac

Reply #81 on: March 02, 2014, 03:19:58 AM
Wait until you try it with a 6A3!!!
PJ out did himself with this amp!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #82 on: March 02, 2014, 05:11:57 AM
I did with the 8 pin equivalent, both the 6b4g and the Russian version. I really enjoyed the Russian tube and it's the only other pair I kept. For my system and listening pleasure the EML 300B sounds the best. It doesn't have the sparkle of some others but it has a midrange that comes to life somehow.

Aaron Johnson

Offline RPMac

Reply #83 on: March 02, 2014, 07:31:26 AM
Aaron, I came real close to buying your EML's when you put them up for sale...I wish I had. EML's are definitely on my list to try. I wonder if the EML 20 is a possibility? It would add some gain that would help my system.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #84 on: March 02, 2014, 09:36:30 AM
Hi Robert.  I'll say that the EML's are not perfect by any means.  My buddies 6sn7 Akido preamp has better detail and highs but can't touch the intimacy of the EML's in the BeePre.  It's a compromise as is everything in audio.  300B's are always colored is some way.  I guess the trick is to find the right color for your system ;)

I know what you're saying with gain.  In my listening chair with the BeePre wide open I measure 95dB on sweeps.  Everything I've done to lower the gain though has resulted in increased fidelity.  I usually listen at around -6 to -18dB and have enough headroom even with a tape source for my listening levels.  I wouldn't go much lower in sensitivity with speakers than my current 95dB Altec's.  I miss the dynamics and punch of 100dB horns at times. 

One other reason to use them, they look great!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:00:01 AM by johnsonad »

Aaron Johnson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #85 on: March 15, 2014, 03:29:42 PM
A month out on the Dynamat mod and I'm happy with it.  The ring when adjusting volume or switching out source cables is noticeably shorter in duration and lower frequency.  It takes a little bit of work to get it cut and on the base plate but it made a difference in my system.

As far as placing the BeePre on the slab floor, this too seems to make some difference though subtle if any.  Best of all it's in my field of view while I listen :)  This also let to shorter cable lengths from pre to amp so I'm not sure the actual gain.

Aaron Johnson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #86 on: May 09, 2014, 03:36:52 PM
A small update.  I put a plasma TV in the two channel system to kill two birds with one stone.  I found out the hard way that you can't have the BeePre too close to the plasma with out some interesting and annoying noise.  About three feet away and it is gone.  RFI is a PITA!

Aaron Johnson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #87 on: May 26, 2014, 05:47:25 AM
I'm sitting here drinking my morning coffee and thinking about how content I am with my system. Yesterday I had an extended listening session that was very satisfying. It feels that I'm at a point were there is little left to fine tune.  In the last month I swapped the PF caps out in the amps for a positive gain. Thinking on the BeePre, the output caps are the only thing I would consider playing around with but prices for those big caps are prohibitive.  Many people here have enjoyed the ClarityCap MR.  I've had my eye on the Rike Audio oilers which have made a positive difference in two other builds.  Too bad dealers don't offer a demo on caps ;) Even a loan and swap program would be nice!

I really am happy with the sound but that doesn't mean I couldn't be happier with a few small changes. Someday, maybe, I'll have it just right to my ears and stop fooling around.  Until then I'll still have a smile on my face :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paully

Reply #88 on: May 26, 2014, 07:13:41 AM
All right fine, you win.  I am ordering mine today.   :)

Offline johnsonad

Reply #89 on: May 26, 2014, 07:18:39 AM
About time! I thought you had given up on kit building ;)

Aaron Johnson