New top of the line headphone amp

Doc B. · 24121

Offline xcortes

Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 10:16:12 AM
BTW if you are going to put 8K B7s in your FP3, why not convert it to a tube that is a better match for them? You don't need the extra triode for the CF, and you really want a tube with a lower plate impedance than a 12AU7. Maybe try 417As?

Hmm,

I'll post in another thread (More "how to add transformers" questions) to stop hijacking this.

Xavier Cortes

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 10:21:39 AM
Is that a Larry Clark?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 10:55:05 AM
Dunno, just grabbed the first pic I spotted on a google search.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 04:58:00 AM
Hmmm, just after I sold my hd-800s and considering selling the Crack, and as I'm listening to the new Fostex T50 RP "alphadogs" this looks very, very tempting!

I am really absolutely loving these new cans -- different than the hd-800s, but truly beguling in their own right, and at significantly less than the 800s.  So much so that I jusst also got a pair of the balanced version.  And man, are these comfortable to wear as well.  Could very well be my new personal reference headphones, and this new amp looks like just what they need. :-).

Don't get me wrong, the Crack/HD-800s is one of the great pairings ou there and I'll never say anything bad about either, or the pairing, but in a total about face in my headphone journey, the planars just feel even more *right* to my ears.

How nice of you to come up with a great amp for them :-).

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline denti alligator

Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 06:16:56 AM
Jim, are you saying the $200 Fostex are in league with the $1500 HD800s? (After some mods, I presume, but still!)

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 06:35:38 AM
Hi Sam, yes, I think they are in the same league.  That doesn't mean they're the same -- to my ears and at this early stage, the hd-800s have the better soundstage, but the "alphadogs" are said to improve significantly in this area as they break-in.  I also think the "dogs" have a somewhat warmer, but still very detailed presentation, and better bass -- very tactile bass, which seems to be one of the hallmarks of orthos.  They are also closed back and isolate you from a good deal of outside noise, and likewise don't disturb others near you -- really the reason I decided to try them so I could have some closed back headphones for listening in bed.  I also find them extremely comfortable and hold their adjustement well.  They are a bit of a skull clamp at first, but even wearing them for the last 3 days they have already loosened up some.  They are $300, not $200.  Balanced version are $350 pre-order, and $400 once they begin to ship.  They don't sound very good with the Crack, but the s.e.x. should be a great match.  The unblanced version also comes with 2 cables -- one 1/4" and one 3.5mm -- no adaptors, two separate cables.

Bought mine from stereodesk.com -- an authorized dealer, who deals directly with the manufacturer.

This is probably a bit off topic here, so if you want to talk more about them, start a thread in the headphones forum.

I'm really taken by these, even as new as they are, which is odd for a guy who never really liked planars/orthodynamics and closed back cans.  I've heard the stock and other modified verions of these and they are not at all like these.  These are serious cans despite their relatively low cost.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline mikek200

Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 08:30:57 AM
Yeah, but reference to what?

(http://photos.foter.com/103/mainlining-cocaine_l.jpg)

LOL,priceless

Offline mikek200

Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 08:40:23 AM
Dollar for Dollar,they are probably the best closed headphone on the market
When I had the mjolnir/gungnir combo...I l;listened to them for 6-8 at a clip..

Sorry,they do not sound that great with the crack/speedball, ,,,though

Offline denti alligator

Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 09:19:04 AM

Why is it they don't work so well with the Crack?

Besides being closed-baffle, what else would distinguish them from the HD600s (which I have)?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline mikek200

Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 10:00:33 AM
Not 100% sure.

Maybe its because the alphadogs are an ortho headphone,and,the Hd600 is a dynamic headphone???
Not sure the crack can drive the ortho headphones,but??correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 10:10:46 AM
The alphadogs are only about 50 ohms or so impedance -- the Senns are 300 and the Crack was designed for high impedance headphones.

-- Jim

4krow

Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 10:42:04 AM
Sooo, I went to stereodesk and looked at the those wonderful headphones and dam there is the balanced version that I would like. Now the question is, how do I go about powering them with BH products? Yah, maybe I'm not so much a headphone guy, BUT when I do choose to listen, I want the best that I can get.

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 11:13:06 AM

Why is it they don't work so well with the Crack?

Besides being closed-baffle, what else would distinguish them from the HD600s (which I have)?
I also am really enjoying the Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs with the alpha pads.  They are quite smooth and very easy to listen to for long sessions, both via comfort and sound.  For me, however, they a sort of a special purpose headphone.  I use them specifically when I want/need a closed set of cans - ie. - when there is minor noise in the house I want to block out, late at night, and when I'm at my home desk.  When I want to do more serious listening I go back to my HD600s.

The Mad Dogs suffer with an OTL amp.  My desktop Schiit Valhalla couldn't drive them well at all, not surprisingly.  Being orthos they really need some oomph from the amp.  My new Schiit Lyr with NOS tubes makes them sing.   But again, for serious listening I always go back to my Crack/HD600 combo.

The HD600s are (to me) the better headphone - more soundstage & detail, faster and better bass - but I heartily agree with the above - the MDs are without a doubt a great headphone for under $300.

Bob Trancho

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 02:01:18 PM
Listened to LCD-2s with the Mainline at the Seattle Head Fi meet today. Works great.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 10:18:36 AM
Sooo, I went to stereodesk and looked at the those wonderful headphones and dam there is the balanced version that I would like. Now the question is, how do I go about powering them with BH products? Yah, maybe I'm not so much a headphone guy, BUT when I do choose to listen, I want the best that I can get.

You could use the SEX amp, the Mainline, or Paramounts...

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man