New top of the line headphone amp

Doc B. · 24196

Offline FraGGleR

Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 10:45:43 AM
So excited for this amp.  Can't wait for its release.  Just sold my W3000ANV's and my LCD-2's so plenty of fun money ready for it.

Resonessence Concero -> Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1 -> HD800

Offline mikek200

Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 12:24:53 PM
Sooo, I went to stereodesk and looked at the those wonderful headphones and dam there is the balanced version that I would like. Now the question is, how do I go about powering them with BH products? Yah, maybe I'm not so much a headphone guy, BUT when I do choose to listen, I want the best that I can get.

Might be time for an amp upgrade..??
Sex Kit..???

I went through this when I bought the HE-6's..ended up buying an emotiva mini 100 amp ,just for those cans...

Good luck.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:54 PM
I'm pretty sure this amp will drive at least the fostex maddogs and the he-400s no problem, and probably the he500s ass well.  Others I'm much less confident about, but if doc said they did fine with the lcd 2s, then I wouldn't worry about anything but maybe he-6s.

Dan,

How closely matched will the 6c45pis have to be?  The Russian firecracker is a ggreat tube, but they measure all over the place and it can take some work to get a nicely matched pair.

This is sounding a lot like your old primo headphone amp!

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 04:21:18 PM
Heck, Jim, that's kinda like asking how closely matched a woman's breasts need to be. If it's a pair that gives you pleasure, then I think it's a good match. I used to think this forum was kind of like a car forum, i.e., what mod will give me the fastest 1/4 mile. But I have come to realize it's kind of like a wine forum, or maybe a wristwatch forum. So many of the choices are a taste thing.

So I'm sitting in the listening room this afternoon, spinning a nice minty mono pressing of Jimmy Smith's Organ Grinder Swing. From the sweet spot the image is dead center. From the rear seat it seems to pull right. PB comes up to the room and I ask him to sit in the rear seat and tell me where the image is. He finds it dead center. Who's right!?!?! Like fingerprints, everyone's ears are a little different, and things like tube matching are pretty tough to generalize. FWIW part of the reason we use a C4S is that it helps to make tube tube try to hit the maximum mu specified in the  manual.

Hopefully folks who want to tweak the amp to the last degree will find the price of 6c45pis reasonable. I haven't owned more than a few pair myself, but they never failed to impress.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 04:27:30 PM
That is my favorite Jimmy Smith LP Dan. Great dynamics and swing!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 04:44:20 PM
Actually one of my favorite albums, period. The opening phrases of Organ Grinder Swing is my ring tone. I've been diving headfirst into soul jazz lately. Actually I have loved it since I was a kid, but now I have the reason and means to dig deep. Aside from all the B3 gods like JOS and Groove Holmes and Dr Lonnie Smith and Jimmy McGriff and Jack MacDuff and Papa and Joey D, one obscure jewel of a B3 player I have discovered is a guy named Bobby Floyd out of Columbus, OH.  Last couple of tracks on Notes to and from My Friends are smokin'.

And there are some major B3 talents who have been around for years but maybe not too well known in the US. One who knocks me out is Rhoda Scott.

And another obscure track I love is Paul B. Allen, Omaha Nebraska from Buddy Miles' Them Changes. Andre Watts was the B3 player on that, and it really grooves. Killer soul jazz right in the middle of a classic 70's R&B album.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 05:00:46 PM
Thanks Dan, I've been wanting to explore B3 artists further. I have to agree with you, it's one of my all time favorites also and Kenny Burrell on guitar doesn't hurt :) My favorite track is "Oh No Babe", man oh man can he make that organ sing!  I had hoped you would pick this recording instead of "Sermon" for the TP release. Glad to know there are a few other B3 fans around :)

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 06:20:17 PM
Thanks Dan, I've been wanting to explore B3 artists further. I have to agree with you, it's one of my all time favorites also and Kenny Burrell on guitar doesn't hurt :) My favorite track is "Oh No Babe", man oh man can he make that organ sing!  I had hoped you would pick this recording instead of "Sermon" for the TP release. Glad to know there are a few other B3 fans around :)

If we could get it I would campaign for it. It's a Verve (as is a lot of great JOS stuff), a label we simply haven't yet had the opportunity to work with. Whereas The Sermon is from Concord's vault, who have been exceptionally supportive of the Tape Project from the start. And yeah, getting Kenny Burell on an album is obviously something we like too. And Jimmy and Wes would be awesome too. OGD, baby, anyway you spin it that's a serious way to do some blues.

Don't overlook all the other great B3 players. Lonnie Smith comps like nobody else, and Groove Holmes didn't get the nickname Groove just because he liked to listen to vinyl. There's a whole universe of great organ jazz out there if it's yo' thang. And yeah, I think I can guarantee it will all sound good on a Mainline.

And you know I have Hammond in the music room at home, yes?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:31:21 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 02:25:11 PM
Just stumbled over the cuatro de mayo thread on head-fi and was thrilled learn about the mainline - as well as to read all the positive feedback on the bh dac prototype! 

Sounds like I'm going to have start saving my pennies (and buttering up the wife)  ;)

Mike M.

Offline Chris

Reply #39 on: May 07, 2013, 03:26:20 PM
"Yeah, but reference to what?".....  hahaha  great photo!... spot on...

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 03:29:46 PM by Chris »

Offline Chris

Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 01:48:28 PM
Doc, with these 2k plus dollar amps out there from manufacturers... would it be safe to say that if you designed and machined a fancy aluminum chassis, boutique caps etc... and sold it through the same circles that the mainline would probably be in the 2k plus range also?? I imagine it would be..

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 02:26:00 PM
It's hard for me to say "it would cost in the $2K range" without looking at the possibilities. My hunch is it would cost more, as we have paid as much as $1000 for a cabinet  once or twice. What I can say is that the circuit is basically the same as a statement headphone amp that I built 10 years ago, that sold for $7500 (though we have learned a few new tricks since I built that one). Obviously the parts are not as exotic as in that big amp, which had Daven attenuators, MQ autoformers and power transformers, a huge copper vein coated aluminum chassis with a custom lacewood front panel, vintage Dakaware knobs, custom Jupiter parafeed caps, EL84s for shunt regulators, etc. etc. But the design is quite similar.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:14 PM
That amp had a "forever service policy" though :)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bottlehead.com%2Fsmf%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Ddlattach%3Btopic%3D3607.0%3Battach%3D2545%3Bimage&hash=6364dd98d12056d56d2e223838b057dc9e70da0d)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:08:14 PM by xcortes »

Xavier Cortes

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 03:49:27 PM
And man, did it sound fantastic!  Eh, Xavier ;-).

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 06:43:44 AM
Yes, and the forever service policy allowed us to incorporate some of the things that we learned in the ten years following.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.