Taking pre-orders!

Doc B. · 8604

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 07:17:53 AM
You win, preordered.  :D

Thank you! Mainline sales have been brisk this weekend.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Kai

Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 09:31:36 AM
Kai,

I used up a 60/40 pound roll of solder a few years back.  I've had it since the 70s. 

I bought a pound roll of Cardas Eutectic solder which will be my lifetime supply.  I'm 63.  Will be bequeathed to poster Paully.

The key to solder joints is getting the solder to "freeze" solid.  The Eutectic solder is a mixture that freezes at the same temperature.  So both, or all, components go from liquid to solid at the same temperature. 

This makes it harder to make a bad solder joint.

'nuff said?

Thank you for the info. Personally I have never used leaded solder in my life (I'm 22 btw), however somehow I have also never missed a single solder point. SMACK was the first amp I have ever built (I also didn't have almost any soldering experience before the SMACK), and it worked on the first time i turned it on. From the replies I think leaded solder is simply easier to work with, lower failure rates, but doesn't have an actual impact on the sound.
Thus, would it be fair to say that if I am conformable and confident using lead-free solder already, switching to leaded solder wouldn't be as meaningful?

Again thanks guys!

Kai

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 11:37:20 AM
FWIW, 63.37 is eutectic as well - just two components. Or so I've always understood.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 11:43:16 AM
Kai,

Paul is saying that you don't have to spend the high dollars for eutectic solder.  I'm just nuts!!

Thanks for posting your success.  Too many first timers want to know if they can do it. 

Your answer is, YES! 

More newbies need to hear this.

I don't know why anyone wants to go to lead free solder.  It won't harm you.  The lead can't get into your system.  It works better/easier than lead free.  But if you feel safer, do it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:50:25 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 11:49:59 AM
It's the downstream problem that drives lead-free solder. If neither you nor your heirs ever send your creation to the landfill, it's no problem.  :^)

Obviously by far the largest problem is throw-away consumer electronics; that's why there are lead-free solder regulations.

Paul Joppa

Offline Kai

Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 12:23:49 PM
So here's something interesting....
I was going through my toolbox, and I saw the label on the solder says...Sn60/Pb40....
Pretty sure it indicates that those are not lead-free solder.....
Alright....problem solved....I have always been using leaded solder and never used lead-free solder.....-.-
Somehow I thought the opposite, kool deal....cardas leaded it is
>.<

Kai