What cartridge are you using?

wullymc · 13082

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 09:32:35 AM
Yes, I compared it both ways, but settled for MC. On the MM input it felt like there was less clarity and even a bit like muffled. My dealer actually recommended this setting.

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

4krow

Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 12:05:09 PM
MAN, cartridges are sooooo touchy compared to just about anything else audio. And that is what makes them cool. Just by adjusting tracking force on some makes, you can hear a difference. But when it's right, don't touch nuttin! Sit back and marvel.

Offline Mike B

Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 12:23:49 PM
I just mounted a Shure M97xE.  Replaced an Ortofon 2M Red.

I like it.  Has a nice mellow sound to it.  Killer midrange, vocals are to die for. 

I was a bit concerned about the hinged brush, but I noticed no differance in the sound with it up or down.  And I did add the half gram of force with brush down.  Has a very thin cantilever that actually bends when the stylus hits the groove and it sticks in the groove too, something I can't say for other carts I have used when the stylus falls on the "start" band.

A very nice cartridge for 70-80 bucks.

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline johnsonad

Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 12:32:00 PM
Mike if you want to take your new Shure to the next level, pick up a JICO SAS stylus for it. It's transformative in many ways.

Aaron Johnson

Offline azrockitman

Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 08:43:00 PM
I have a sumiko blue point special evo III as well.  I don't have much experience in the last decade with any other but it was my best cartridge purchase when it first came out and when my son damaged it, I didn't think twice about what to replace it with.  Nothing I owned in my earlier life came close to sounding this rich and warm.  and clear. 

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline debk

Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 11:43:37 PM
I currently in the process of upgrading my setup.
I have a Lyra Delos MC cartridge, a Rega RB-1000 arm, Bob's devices SUT, and should have my Sota Sapphire in a few weeks.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 11:56:47 PM
I have a Grado Sonata-1 in my Souther arm.  I often get the question, "so you like that sound."  But that is from people who have never heard a top end Grado.  I also have a Denon DL-103C with a broken cantilever that will get retipped.  And a HOMC, hypereleptical, cartridge (NOS) from SAE, it is a Coral cartridge.  Both are waiting for rotation into my system.

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 12:13:28 AM
You can see my cartridge on my signature, but the one that mesmerized me is Acutex 415.

I think she is the one I prefer now: lots of bass, a bit rought on high frequencies (but it's more a speaker's problem than cartridge's as I mainly use my fullrange), and very forgiving for surface noise.

I'm still waiting to hear my Denon with my UTC SUTs (soon to be finished)...who knows?! maybe Denon could be better, but SUTs are a big variable and they can colour the sound.

In conclusion: grab one Acutex STR if you can, and if you have a low mass tonearm!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 04:14:23 AM
Haniwa HTCRO1 is the only cartridge I have had that makes me feel like I don't need to keep looking for something better.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, there was a Walco branded MM cartridge that an online seller had a surplus batch of maybe 15 years ago. Can't recall the designation, but it was around $35 IIRC. The thing had a Shibata type stylus and sounded like a $200 cartridge.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline corndog71

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 09:50:58 AM
I started with a Rega Elys for my P25 but now I don't even remember how I broke it.  I think I had it less than a year.  Eventually I got a Shure V15 and within 2 months I accidently ripped the stylus out while drinking and dusting off the table. :'(  Been using the replacement stylus for over 12 years.  I think it's almost done as the cartridge body is damn near dragging onto the vinyl.  But it still plays and sounds ok.  I've been looking at the SAS upgrade stylus for it for a while now.  Not too expensive of an upgrade.

Still, I sometimes dream of getting a really nice cartridge.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Grainger49

Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 10:50:11 AM
Dan,

It scares me that you have a cartridge that I can't even find the cost of.  That said, I probably couldn't afford it anyway till the next temp job.

Offline corndog71

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 11:12:32 AM
Dan,

It scares me that you have a cartridge that I can't even find the cost of.  That said, I probably couldn't afford it anyway till the next temp job.

It took me a while, but I found it listed as $5K. :o

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Grainger49

Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 11:59:39 AM
I think that is more than the rest of my system cost me.  But... I am a proponent of cartridges being the most critical thing in the phono chain of components.

Maybe I should save my Social Security checks?

4krow

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 01:20:08 PM
  Rob,

You might be surprised about replacing the stylus. If the cantilever angle(rake angle?) is off, then likely is the sound as well.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 01:36:21 PM
Greg,

Can you PM me and explain the difference between SRA and VTA.  I read an article that just confused me.  I think you could do better.

Thanks,