What cartridge are you using?

wullymc · 13084

Offline wullymc

on: June 22, 2013, 01:05:03 AM
Hi everyone.   Looking for people's thoughts on the cartridge you are using.  Mine is the first cartridge I have had so I don't have much to go on.

The phono stage I use is a Graham Sleep Era Gold V and am using a 2M Bronze.  The music I listen to most is prog. Rock.  I find the cartridge very cold and analytical.  I am looking for something more musical.

What do you use and how do you find it?

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 02:20:16 AM
I'm using a Grado Sonata-1.  Smooth, and great imaging/soundstage.

You will find a number of answers in this old post:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,4379.msg41297.html#msg41297

Offline Wanderer

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 02:54:08 AM
With any MM cartridge it is worth while to experiment with cartridge loading.

What tonearm and interconnects are you using? Older turntabletables/arms might have interconnects with high capacitance.  Too high a capacitance could cause...." a resonant peak at some frequency within the audio band, and this will often give the illusion of 'brightness'...."

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/cartridge-loading.html#s3

Sometimes a change from the stock 47k ohm resistive load. I found my AT 440 MLa sounded smoother into a load of circa 33k ohms.  (Dont' have any idea what loading might work for a Bronze)

On another list I wrote:

"Go to Radio Shack and buy 2 wye RCA adaptors (two female RCAs to one male RCA), 100k 1/4 watt carbon film resistors (they sell 'em sets of five you just need two), two male RCA plugs.

Solder (or have somebody do it for you) a 100k ohm resistor from hot to ground in each of the RCA plugs. Do it so you can reassemble the plugs. Disconnect your phono leads from the preamp inputs. Plug one wye connector into each of the preamp inputs. Plug each of your turntable leads into one of the female connections on each wye adaptor. Connect the 100k shorting plugs you made earlier to the other female connectors on the wyes.

You have now connected 100k across the preamp which will result in the standard 47k load now being approximatly 32k.

If the sound works you can have somebody change your preamp load internally OR you can make up an adaptor from more high-endy bits from Parts Connection or where ever. "

Make some sense? Might save you the cost of a new cartridge. 

Kevin R-M

Online denti alligator

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 03:04:18 AM
Interesting, Kevin. This gets at a question I had about loading and capacitance (two different things, right?) in another thread.

I use an AT 150MLX. I like it a lot, though I wonder if lowering the loading would make it sound even better.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 03:04:42 AM
I contacted Grado about this, they said no capacitance needed and 47k resistive loading.  So I haven't experimented. 

Ok, I'm lazy and would prefer someone else to do this tedious footwork.

Sam,

There are several factors to include when looking for capacitive loading.  Each cable has some number of pF per foot.  The input, grid, has some capacitance to it as well.  Then you can add what is needed to come to the optimum capacitance.  Otherwise you will lose high frequencies that are "shunted to ground" by excessive capacitive loading.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:08:14 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline johnsonad

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 04:04:36 AM
I've settled on a JICO MM-1 cart. It's 95% of the Lyra Kleos I just sold and that's saying something. I've had 20 plus carts both MC and MM in the past 6 years with a dozen or so stages. IME, matching a table, tonearm, cart, headamp, and phono stage is a time consuming and expensive undertaking not to mention a pain in the ass. Every small change effects the overall sound but once you dial in the sound you're looking for, it's magic.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 05:48:12 AM
IME, matching a table, tonearm, cart, headamp, and phono stage is a time consuming and expensive undertaking not to mention a pain in the ass. Every small change effects the overall sound but once you dial in the sound you're looking for, it's magic.

It is an amazing pain in the ass.  IMO, once you find something you like, it is a good idea to leave it alone and just enjoy it!

-PB

(PS - I use a Micro Seiki DD-40 with an Ortofon MC-30, Bottlehead Tube Phono, and top secret MC step up)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 06:20:37 AM
Well stated PB. I'm sticking with my combo and have no desire to upgrade. 

Aaron Johnson

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 07:13:33 AM
Currently using a Benz Micro Ruby2 LOMC on my VPI TNT w/ 10.5i arm.  Nicely detailed with the characteristic Benz warmth.  I also have a SoundSmith Voice in acrylic, a moving iron cartridge. The Voice is more neutral and at 2.2mV  can be used without step up devices. I have also enjoyed the better Grado's, also moving iron.  Moving iron cartridges are a nice combination of the higher output of MM and the better detail recovery of the MC's.

I am a bit of a TT nut having several vintage Thorens, an Empire 208, RekoCut Rondine and a Gates transcription table, ( I am restoring).  I use mostly MM on them, except the TD124, which has an Ortophon SPU, (rebuilt to stock specs by SoundSmith, the SPU is a very early MC with the step-up transformer built into the headshell).  All of the vintage tables sound really nice, but not a match to the VPI. Not that I expect them to be!

I can not agree more with the need to match table, arm, cartridge and amplification.  Yes, it is a PITA, but once you find the synergistic combination...Wow!!  Taking the time to find the right combo will beat throwing mucho $$$$$ at the table any day.

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:05:42 PM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

4krow

Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 08:27:39 AM
Years ago I used a Grado Sonata. Was a little too smooth for me. I preferred the detail of a Dynavector X20? Sorry, don't remember the exact model number. Just know it was MC/HI-OUTPUT.  But as stated above there are a variety of other factors involved for dialing the sound you desire.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 09:32:28 AM
If you are finding your sound too analytical, have you tried not listening to Prog?

I usually think of the Orto house sound as being pretty balanced. If you're looking to lush it up, Grado is your most logical choice. Denon could be OK too, I'd definitely shy away from AT.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 09:56:52 AM
Greg,

I had a similar problem swapping between the Denon DL-103C and my Grado.  Then I botched the Denon's cantilever, problem solved.

4krow

Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 11:28:41 AM
YOWSER! Man, there is NO feeling like that...I know from a few experiences. Might be a good title for a new thread. "I can't believe what just happened" To add-a few years ago, I scorched/burned/destroyed a beautiful set of EXPENSIVE drivers. Yes, it did bring tears to my eyes.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 07:56:50 AM
I am using a Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III on a Project 6Perspex. To my ears it has lots of details with a clear and warm sound, very dynamic and live like. Although it is a high output MC, that can run through a MM input, I run it through my MC input configured to 100 ohms / 120pf.

Best

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

4krow

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 09:06:16 AM
   You can learn something new 'hear' everyday. Never thought of running a Hi-output cartridge that way? Have you compared it both ways?