What cartridge are you using?

wullymc · 13083

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 01:23:50 PM
Dear AZrockitman;

I just had Andy at Cartridge Repair fix the broken cantilever of my BPS EVO lll, and it sounds as glorious as ever. You might email him with questions about cost of repair:  "Andy@ Needle Clinic" <[email protected]>

If you send your cartridge to him, he will evaluate the repair cost and advise. If your BPS stylus is still good, it may be inexpensive to repair; if not, he may have a stylus to offer to you at a good price. Honest and very effective work. Ask PB (Caucasian Blackplate) about him.

Cheers, Hank
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:40:16 PM by Hank Murrow »

Offline BNAL

Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 02:04:29 PM
I'm using the Shure M97xE. I is a very nice sounding cartridge once it opens up. I took Aaron's recommendation and put the JICO SAS stylus in and was very pleased with the results. Much quieter and more resolving.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline johnsonad

Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 02:37:38 PM
Hi Brad, I'm glad the combo is working for you!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 05:52:27 PM
I also use a cartridge from Andy, and would highly recommend him.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline J. Mauro

Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 01:33:48 PM
I use a Denon DL110 and it sounds great for the money. Not much at the same price point that can compare in value. That said, I am eyeballing a Soundsmith Carmen or Boheme for the near future which will likely be a massive improvement.

Jeremy Mauro

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 02:10:52 PM
Dear AZrockitman;

I just had Andy at Cartridge Repair fix the broken cantilever of my BPS EVO lll, and it sounds as glorious as ever. You might email him with questions about cost of repair:  "Andy@ Needle Clinic" <[email protected]>

If you send your cartridge to him, he will evaluate the repair cost and advise. If your BPS stylus is still good, it may be inexpensive to repair; if not, he may have a stylus to offer to you at a good price. Honest and very effective work. Ask PB (Caucasian Blackplate) about him.

Cheers, Hank

Hank,I'm embarrassed I missed your comment until just now.  I appreciate the tip, greatly!     Thanks!

Currently I'm listening to the 3rd record in the 45RPM pressing of Cannonball Adderly-Miles Davis album Somethin' Else, and some spit just landed on my cheek from Mile's trumpet, so I have to go wipe that off. 
(that's how much I love this LP with my Sumiko, so getting my damaged one repaired sounds appealing)

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Paully

Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 03:22:03 PM
I have used various lower cost cartridges such as the Shure M97XE, Denon MC, various Grados, Audio Technica 120E.  Funny thing is perhaps I am just a little to easy going as I have yet to meet a cartridge I didn't like.  I thought all of them had great sonic attributes.   Am now using an Grado MCZ that I like a lot and will probably stick with for a long while.  It certainly seems to do the trick!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 01:59:11 AM
That makes Paully the Will Rogers of cartridges. 

The Grado he is using was next to the top of the line when made.  A Joe Grado cartridge.

Offline debk

Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 02:46:57 AM
I have used a few cartridges.
Dynavector 10x5
Lyra Delos
and my current cartridge is a Kiseki Purpleheart.

The Lyra was very nice, but the Kiseki just sounds smoother to me.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 03:15:32 PM
Hi Deb,

Who do you know? :-) How in the world did you manage to get thatt cartridge? Bet it's beautiful. I also am just seeing that there has been a recent? upgrade to the whole analog font-end -- Congrats.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline debk

Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 09:40:36 AM
Jim,

Thanks

I was just lucky in finding it.  It is a great sounding cartridge and it matches the purpleheart woos finish on my Sota!

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers