Vinyl Wrap Progress - Crack Kit ARRIVES!

John EH · 3099

Offline John EH

on: July 04, 2013, 11:32:39 PM
Wrapped it.  Messed up the first one with the logo but have a nice tight wrap this time and shrunk it down with a heat gun.  Will apply logo tomorrow or next day and post again.

The front edge is perfect just looks weird because of the flash.

Let the FUN begin!

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:49:26 AM
Nice! Did you glue the vinyl to the chassis on the back? I assume you have to or else it won't hold?

Depending on how you run your Crack, the chassis can get fairly warm. I assume the vinyl can handle the heat?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 06:39:06 AM
Depending on how you run your Crack, the chassis can get fairly warm. I assume the vinyl can handle the heat?

When we were looking into using vinyl for the Tode graphic, we got a few samples and stuck them on a few Paramount chassis plates right above the two 25W cathode resistors.

Not only do they stick well and not melt, but they seem to be impossible to remove!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:11:07 AM
Ahhhh...so the vinyl has some sort of adhesive backing, is that right?

4krow

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:02:17 AM
  tHIS REMINDS ME OF VENEERING, WHICH SEEMS TO BE A TALENT ALL IT'S OWN(dam cap key!!!). Some have the gift, but I do not.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:26:13 AM
Greg,

The gift of the caps key or of veneering?  I have botched veneering.  Not so much the caps key.

Offline John EH

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:30:53 AM
Nice! Did you glue the vinyl to the chassis on the back? I assume you have to or else it won't hold?

Best regards,
Adam

No glue, just a self adherent vinyl. Matter of fact when you apply it you can put soapy water on the sticky side and move it around all you want.

I soaped it, then let it set five minutes and started working on the edges.  Generally you'll get a small bubble along the edges or rather to say the edge won't lay down perfectly by hand.  I took a heat gun and then the vinyl shrinks down nicely.

The heat from the amp won't do anything other than make that vinyl tighter!.

The vinyl I used is Oracal 651.

John

Offline John EH

Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 01:14:00 PM
And with the decal. First attempt had the swoosh over the vent holes and I just didn't like the way it looked trimmed up.  So I made a bigger swoosh and dropped it down a bit.

Not 100% happy with it but its pretty cool I think. 

Offline STURMJ

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:23:08 PM
Very cool!

Offline John EH

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 03:07:34 PM
This is kind of what it will look like.   No nine pin socket because the kit is missing a couple 4-40 nuts but I can pick them up locally or probably have a couple laying around.  I took two off the Extended Foreplay 3 upgrade last week and damned if I can't find them.  Probably tossed them.

Volume is a 100K Goldpoint.

John

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 06:09:32 PM
Well, that's "the real thing" Between this and the leafing that's two new things to try, very cool...John

John Scanlon

Offline John EH

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 07:33:10 PM
Sneak Peak of what its going to look like.  Mind you I haven't started the build up yet.

And the transformer is going to be black on the sides and white on the end bell.

Offline John EH

Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 02:07:58 AM
And having entirely too much fun here I have the transformer painted up.  Tried to vinyl wrap the end bell but too small and too many complex curves.  Painted instead.

Little glare off the tubes on the chassis but too tired to fix the lighting.  I guess tomorrow starts the wiring phase.

And obviously I have to sand the glue off the base and stain it.

John

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:16:17 AM by John EH »

4krow

Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 07:09:38 AM
OMG that is great. Yes, I'm envious.

Offline John EH

Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 01:14:41 AM
Not real exciting but slowly getting her together.  As Boston sang "I'm taking my time, I'm just moving along......."

Nice instructions.  The Bottleheads are getting much better at the layout game.  Having not built a kit in years I can really tell they've honed their craft.

Except for the two LED's on the 9 pin socket, that is..........crap.  I got it.  But crap I'm gonna see double for an hour.

Now starting on the power supply and I'm building in the Speedball as I build this up so leaving the resistors out.

John