Speedball, Speedball, SPEEDBALL

John EH · 1304

Offline John EH

on: July 10, 2013, 12:04:36 AM
Found myself all alone today with adequate time to put in the Speedball.  Some of the best board soldering work I've ever done.   It went together perfectly only one head scratcher was my 350 transistors weren't metal faced but there was a clarification post by Doc in the Forum and of course that's what forums are for.

I'd say it took me about 2 hours to build and the install was clean and trouble free.

Powered up, all LED's lit perfectly and voltages spot on.  Hooked it all up and hit up Rebecca Pidgeon "The Raven" and Holy Fucking Smokes with a capital F.  Amazing.  I thought the stock Crack sounded good but this is a whole different level.  One thing I like is the high end is really there.  I like the high end.

Tube compliment is Sylvania 6080 and Telefunken smooth plate 12AU7.

I'm speechless and it isn't even broken in.  Best of all I HAD FUN DOING THIS.  Occupied me more or less for a week.  Really did everything right.  I know a United States Marine who is a magician with wood and discussed having him make me a fancy pants base. 

I'm stunned and amazed at the Bottlehead gear, have been for years.  My SEX amp is nearby and there is no comparison with the headphones with this Speedball upgrade installed.  To tell the truth the stock Crack and C4S modded SEX 2.0 sounded fairly similar to me with a nod towards the direction of the Crack.

But this is a whole new ballgame.

Wow.  Things are CRISP, TIGHT, and MUSICAL!

Don't walk, RUN to get one of these kits.

I have one minor comment on the Speedball upgrade though.  Stock Crack was DEAD SILENT between tracks.  BLACK.  DARK.

Speedball has the tiniest, tiniest bit of floor noise at a high volume.  It doesn't bother me at all or detract from anything but just an observation.  And I kind of think it is to be expected.  Maybe it'll drop after break in a bit.  Shouldn't bother a soul.  Again just an observation.

Rotten photos but I'm too excited to turn it off and flip it over to take new pics.

John