how is Quickie easy to build?

charger · 13416

Offline charger

Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 04:19:37 AM
it's here !! with pearl white top, beautyful !!!

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 06:14:16 AM
Bon chance!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline charger

Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 11:31:04 PM
it works !!!!  but there is a little bit hum  what depends about? 

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

Offline Grainger49

Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 01:13:42 AM
Hum is often caused by poor filtering of the AC in the power supply.  In the case of the Quickie that is impossible.  The power supply has nothing to do with AC.

So it is more likely either induced hum or ground loop/grounding hum.  Induced means it sits too close to something radiating a strong AC field.  This is easy to check, move it 2 feet from any other piece of equipment.  If you can't hear the hum being reduced as you move the Quickie it is not induced hum.

This leaves a bad interconnect or loose grounding wire on the ground reference wiring in the Quickie.  Start at the two RCA input jacks.  Touch up the ground wires there, the outer connection, not the center one.  Follow those wires and touch up all the solder joints that are "grounded."  Of course they are not grounded in the Quickie, it doesn't have a power cord that brings in the ground.  The ground is in the other components.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:47:01 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 01:15:34 AM
Quickie isn't shelded, so you have to pay some attention with grounding issues (only one item in the audio chain grounded usuallt solves the problem) and with EMF (try put the Quickie away from other PSU/wallwart).
I follow these steps and solved my hum problems.

PS: Post some pics of your beauty if you can!

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline charger

Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 02:05:05 AM
i solved, I resoldered all negatives joints now no hum!!   I will post picture as well my next will be replace 2,2 mf capacitors

Offline charger

Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 02:13:06 AM
What an amazing sound !!! natural , wide, clear with deep bass and i suppose changing valves it can be even better

Offline Grainger49

Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 02:48:20 AM
I guess this answers the question of how easy the Quickie is to build.

It is a simple, yet elegant circuit.  A great starting place for a new hobby.

Offline Bonzo

Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 03:48:52 AM
What an amazing sound !!! natural , wide, clear with deep bass and i suppose changing valves it can be even better
I tried mixing PIO and teflon caps as bypass...really improved overall definition and bass... But first listen to it for 50 hours or so, letting everything settle down and be familiar with the sound.
After cap and tube rollings... choke or pjccs?  ;)

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline charger

Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 04:16:22 AM
i don't know what is choke

Offline Bonzo

Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 06:14:25 AM
Take a look here:
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,70.0.html

and here:
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,4618.0.html

A cheap mod, that's said to be really worthwhile!

Ciao

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline charger

Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 07:16:44 AM
thank you !!

Offline charger

Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 07:23:28 AM
i can't  understand what a choke is still, is it becouse i am Italian ? my english is very poor.... please can you explain better what is a choke ?

Offline Bonzo

Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 07:43:47 AM
Yes! We're both from Italy!
Choke means "induttanza" in italian!
It is measured in "Henry" units (H), it's also referred with "L" (like "R" means resistance and "C" capacitor).

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline charger

Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 07:46:02 AM
ciao compaesano !!! oh i see now , where the choke sholud be placed ?