let's talk about tubes for Quickie

charger · 7004

Offline charger

on: August 04, 2013, 06:25:09 AM
which brand of tubes are better for the Quickie ?  which are less microphonic ?

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

4krow

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:12:42 AM
 While these tubes seem to be microphonic by nature, I have found that Telefunken tubes have a bit less of the problem. I have only tried the originals and the Tel's so there may be other observations out there. I use Herbies dampers on the tubes as well.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 07:58:26 AM
which of the Herbies dampers do you use?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

4krow

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 08:40:24 AM
  I don't recall the model, but I went for the one that cost $13 ea. After reading through the website, I found that this damper had all of the benefits of their top of the line at that time, and was cheaper. The difference that I notice is small, but to be fair, I haven't listened very much yet, as the Quickie is getting remade. I am working on it today.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:44:55 AM
one of the these, I assume:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/preamp.htm

what's the size of the Quickie tubes? 5/8" to 3/4"?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

4krow

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 10:59:51 AM
   You are correct sir.

4krow

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 04:38:52 PM
  One thing that I would like to mention about the Telefunkin tubes, is that near full volume, they have a lot of distortion. To be fair, I rather think that it might have to do with something else that I have done with the circuit. So far, I have changed the original volume control to a stepped attenuator, but I'm thinking that's not it. I have changed out output caps twice, and the problem has occurred with both caps. Other than those two things nothing much has been done. That is why I tend to think that these tubes might be the reason. Ok, now I have to switch back to the originals just to check.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 04:44:16 PM
You might measure the plate voltages with the Telefunken tubes installed, they might be a little higher than desired (which could cause earlier clipping).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 06:37:54 PM
Dont forget about the definitive reference for Q technology:
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3491.0.html
IMOSSMS.  ;D

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 01:33:01 PM
  Would this even occur if voltages and resistances checked out?

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 01:50:57 PM
  One thing that I would like to mention about the Telefunkin tubes, is that near full volume, they have a lot of distortion. To be fair, I rather think that it might have to do with something else that I have done with the circuit. So far, I have changed the original volume control to a stepped attenuator, but I'm thinking that's not it. I have changed out output caps twice, and the problem has occurred with both caps. Other than those two things nothing much has been done. That is why I tend to think that these tubes might be the reason. Ok, now I have to switch back to the originals just to check.

Distortion at high volumes (gain) I have not noticed before. I even took the volume control out and didn't notice any real change in distortion. In the end the pot sounded better than the digital volume control. Not sure why the tube is getting overdriven like that.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 04:58:31 PM
 Just a shot here. Would heater voltage have any effect?

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 05:31:35 PM
Like too much? I use rechargeables so I'm always less than 1.5V. Experts can chime in here, but I dont notice any difference in sound as the heater batteries go low. I usually just hear one channel cut out when the voltage gets too low.

Eric

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 06:14:21 PM
The Quickie has fairly limited output voltage capability. Into a high impedance load, clipping would be expected at 3.5vRMS with fresh batteries, 2.3vRMS at the end of battery life. For myself, I'd prefer to keep it below 1.0 volts to avoid audible coloration - but it depends a lot of what the meaning of "audible" is! For comparison, BeePre or Foreplay should put out 20vRMS before clipping.

If your amp/speaker combination needs more that 1vRMS peaks, Quickie can run into trouble.

Paul Joppa

4krow

Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 07:38:12 PM
  I will look into this tomm.