Crack Amp/ plus Speedball builder?

sdell101 · 7479

Offline Zashoomin

Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 10:39:09 AM
The cheapest good quality pair of stippers I have found are at redco.

http://www.redco.com/Eclipse-CP-301G.html these for 20-30awg

http://www.redco.com/Eclipse-CP-302G.html these for 10-20awg

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 12:10:37 PM
Yep, that's the 2nd style that I mentioned in my post in the wire stripper sticky thread. They do a very clean job of stripping, but the need to pull on the wire in order to remove the insulation can be problematic in some situations, and I find it slow and time-consuming to fit the wire into the appropriately sized hole each time.

The Ideal Stripmaster wire strippers are much more expensive, but also much more efficient. For me, it was definitely worth investing the extra cash.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline adamct

Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 12:14:13 PM
I've also seen these recommended and had been thinking of ordering a pair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16803001603&ParentOnly=1

Now, of course, you guys have me contemplating something 2.5x as expensive.

I can't quite tell, but those might be similar to the Stripmasters. I repeat "might". I just can't tell. They could also be closer to the 1st style described in my post in the wire stripper sticky thread. That style is excellent for general purpose work, but almost useless for precision work (like building a Bottlehead kit), because it is difficult to reliable estimate where the insulation will be cut, and there is the potential to nick stranded wire. I just can't tell which style the ones you linked to are...

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 02:00:10 PM
I've also seen these recommended and had been thinking of ordering a pair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16803001603&ParentOnly=1

Now, of course, you guys have me contemplating something 2.5x as expensive.

I can't quite tell, but those might be similar to the Stripmasters. I repeat "might". I just can't tell. They could also be closer to the 1st style described in my post in the wire stripper sticky thread. That style is excellent for general purpose work, but almost useless for precision work (like building a Bottlehead kit), because it is difficult to reliable estimate where the insulation will be cut, and there is the potential to nick stranded wire. I just can't tell which style the ones you linked to are...
I had a different GB sone that was 10-26awg or something like that, it was awful.

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 02:01:26 PM
The cheapest good quality pair of stippers I have found are at redco.

http://www.redco.com/Eclipse-CP-301G.html these for 20-30awg

http://www.redco.com/Eclipse-CP-302G.html these for 10-20awg
I found those to be awful.. It seems I am very problematic when it comes to wire strippers..

Offline adamct

Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 05:03:57 PM
If you are particular about wire strippers, then go for the Stripmaster Lite. I think it will be worth your while.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 05:44:58 PM
If you are particular about wire strippers, then go for the Stripmaster Lite. I think it will be worth your while.

Best regards,
Adam
I bought one:) Also, I found the Sparkfun stripper is actually decent.

Offline adamct

Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 04:53:58 AM
What are the Sparkfun strippers? [Side note: in any other context, talking about "Sparkfun strippers" would have an entirely different meaning...]

Let us know what you think of the Stripmaster Lite when you get it.

Best,
Adam

Offline Grainger49

Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 11:59:15 AM
Guys!  Wake Up!   The OP has not responded nor PMd back since his first and only post.  The thread has taken on a life of its own but we are not adding anything to the question posted or the board.

Offline adamct

Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 12:22:52 PM
Whoa, Grainger...

First, we may not be adding anything to the OP, but there was a healthy discussion of wire strippers among the participants in this thread. Arguably that discussion would be better placed in the "Tools" forum, but I don't think it is fair to say that this thread is somehow useless.

Second, there is this little thing called the "search" function. If I only looked at thread titles, I would miss 50% of the useful content I have found in the Bottlehead forum. A lot of information is embedded within threads that started out addressing something entirely different, and where the OP had long since dropped out of the conversation. But by using the search function, that information is available to (and findable by) all.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Grainger49

Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 02:44:03 PM
Adam,

I agree, but we are beating a dead horse if we want to help the OP.  As you say, Dan has a thread of his own on wire strippers.  But since we skidded sideways the OP may have chosen not to participate.  He has one post.

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 08:33:16 AM
Just wanted to report back on my experience with GB strippers I linked above.  I ordered a pair as a cheap alternative to the ideal's before seeing wolfetan's post - and they really are terrible, complete with a manufacturer's defect that rendered the 22 guage hole I needed completely unusable.  They're going straight back to newegg - which, you should note, now apparently charges its customers return shipping on defective products. 

I am expecting my Ideal's (16 - 26 awg range) from Amazon on Wednesday. 

Mike M.