Crack Amp/ plus Speedball builder?

sdell101 · 7478

Offline sdell101

on: August 06, 2013, 06:38:03 AM
hi guys can anyone direct me. to anyone that can build the crack amp with the speedball upgrade i live in SoCal. i emailed Bottlehead and they said this was the best way to contact someone... Thanks!~

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:57:14 AM
Sure. Follow these steps:

1. Stand in front of a mirror.
2. You've found your guy!

Seriously. Even without any prior experience, you can build the Crack yourself. You need to invest $40-50 (maybe less) in tools that you will be able to re-use for years to come, but that's about it.

If you really don't want to do it yourself, I'm sure someone will post here offering to do it for you, but I assure you that building the Crack is fairly straightforward and incredibly satisfying to boot. I didn't have any real prior experience, but I got my Crack working right away. I'm a corporate lawyer. If I can do it, so can you!

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Zashoomin

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 04:17:29 PM
I HIGHLY suggest you build one but if you really don't want to I would be more than happy to build it for you. 

All you need really is a soldering iron, some solder, and maybe wire strippers for the wires.

Also the instructions that Doc provides make the build very easy. 

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:10:15 AM
There should be a factory authorized assembly service starting very soon. When the person is ready to take work I will announce the details.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 08:45:47 AM
Sure. Follow these steps:

1. Stand in front of a mirror.
2. You've found your guy!

Seriously. Even without any prior experience, you can build the Crack yourself. You need to invest $40-50 (maybe less) in tools that you will be able to re-use for years to come, but that's about it.

If you really don't want to do it yourself, I'm sure someone will post here offering to do it for you, but I assure you that building the Crack is fairly straightforward and incredibly satisfying to boot. I didn't have any real prior experience, but I got my Crack working right away. I'm a corporate lawyer. If I can do it, so can you!

Best regards,
Adam

And you admit this, here?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline adamct

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:55:13 AM
Sure! It's how I know Doc and the gang will be extra-motivated to keep me from electrocuting myself...

;D

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:31:06 PM
There should be a factory authorized assembly service starting very soon. When the person is ready to take work I will announce the details.
Interesting, any thoughts on pricing?

Also, I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to people saying its so easy. My Crack + Speedball should be coming soon, and I'm honestly, quite scared. I do have a bit of prior experience, only with building 3 succesful cables, if I can do that, do you guys think I can build the Crack + Speedball? Thanks guys:)

Offline adamct

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 04:32:18 PM

Also, I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to people saying its so easy. My Crack + Speedball should be coming soon, and I'm honestly, quite scared. I do have a bit of prior experience, only with building 3 succesful cables, if I can do that, do you guys think I can build the Crack + Speedball? Thanks guys:)

Yes. I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it.

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:34:56 PM

Yes. I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it.
I guess it is such a daunting task for me that its hard to believe anyone that says its easy..

Offline adamct

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 04:39:09 PM
1. Cut a two-inch piece of red wire.
2. Strip the ends back 1/4"
3. Solder one end to terminal 14
4. Solder the other end to terminal 15

If you can follow those instructions, you can build the Crack.

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 04:40:41 PM
1. Cut a two-inch piece of red wire.
2. Strip the ends back 1/4"
3. Solder one end to terminal 14
4. Solder the other end to terminal 15

If you can follow those instructions, you can build the Crack.
Is that a part of it? Because thats exxtremely easy. I hope it is:) What wire stripper do you guys recommend also?

Offline adamct

Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 04:43:13 PM
I won't call it a direct quote, but much of the manual reads just like that.

As for wire strippers, see here: http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3279.msg40579.html#msg40579

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 04:45:50 PM

As for wire strippers, see here: http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3279.msg40579.html#msg40579
Thanks for all the help, Adam. It really helped a lot:)

Offline wolfetan44

Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 04:52:31 PM

Adam, you say 20-30awg strip, but this website says 16-22awg: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-3046  Am I looking at the wrong one or what? Thanks.

Offline adamct

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 04:54:18 PM
No problem. Just trying to pay forward all of the great help and advice I received here. Get the Stripmaster Lite strippers, they are expensive, but will repay you in spades. I'm amazed by how smoothly and perfectly my Stripmasters work... I marvel at it every time I use them.

Best regards,
Adam