What are we buying these days?...

Chris · 61808

Offline Grainger49

Reply #165 on: November 07, 2014, 07:47:00 AM
Mike,

I have Bright Morning Stars and Firecracker as well.  But their other two are my favorites.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:16:53 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #166 on: November 09, 2014, 12:58:50 AM
Couldn't resist the new album by Kate Rusby "Ghost" fondly referred to hereabouts as the Barnsley Nightingale!

Live recordings are a firm favourite and the last few posts had wetted my appetite so   

The Wailin Jennys – "Live At The Mauch Chunk Opera House"

On recent purchases

Really enjoying Alison krauss "Paper Airplane" and War on Drugs "Lost in the dream" both are storming up my play list and sounding superb using the BH Sex amp.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline grausch

Reply #167 on: November 12, 2014, 02:03:59 AM
Bought Miles Davis's Kind of Blue off iTunes yesterday. Completely different than what I usually listen to, but I have listened to the album 4 or 5 times already. Works really well with headphones and the Steremour / Orcas.

Find it odd that the upright bass is that recessed, but I guess this could be due to recording techniques utilised at the time.

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack
Modded Stereomour with Two-tone Orcas

Offline Paully

Reply #168 on: November 12, 2014, 02:12:33 AM
Bought some Smiths records, Louder Than Bombs and a U.K. issue of Hatful of Hollow.  Also just bought The Pixies - Surfer Rosa from Mobile Fidelity.  Wee ha!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #169 on: November 12, 2014, 02:21:56 AM
Bought Miles Davis's Kind of Blue off iTunes yesterday.  .  . 

Find it odd that the upright bass is that recessed  .  .  .  . 

Try the CD or LP version.  I think the bass will return.

Offline Kris

Reply #170 on: November 12, 2014, 02:27:27 AM
Bought Miles Davis's Kind of Blue off iTunes yesterday. Completely different than what I usually listen to, but I have listened to the album 4 or 5 times already. Works really well with headphones and the Steremour / Orcas.

Find it odd that the upright bass is that recessed, but I guess this could be due to recording techniques utilised at the time.

Try HDTracks... The best sounding Kind of Blue I've ever heard so far.
No affiliation with HDTracks here :)

Kris
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:30:00 AM by Kris »

Offline grausch

Reply #171 on: November 12, 2014, 02:30:57 AM
Grainger / Kris

Don't have a turntable, so I might try a CD version. Edit: or the HDTracks version

Does it actually make that much of a difference? With the rock I usually listen the drums and bass seem to be more pronounced, whereas here it is definitely more laid back with more emphasis on the mid-range instruments. Cymbals are definitely a little recessed as well. I thought it was merely how the album was recorded/mixed. Is this what people mean with the difference between compressed and uncompressed music?

Cheers,

Gunter

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack

Offline Kris

Reply #172 on: November 12, 2014, 02:55:43 AM
Does it actually make that much of a difference?

It does to my ears ;) As far as the album... I kind of liked both CD and LP versions, but to me each of these are missing something. CD lacks of bass, air and smoothness comparing to LP and LP lacks of that clarity in high notes regions that CD brings, so I always wanted something that could bring the best of both of these into one recording and I found it in HDTracks version of Kind of Blue.

Hope this helps,
Kris

P.S. You can always listen to the samples of specific record on HDTracks web site, their quality is pretty close to what you get when you purchase and download the album.

Offline grausch

Reply #173 on: November 12, 2014, 03:04:39 AM
After posting, I listened to the sample of the first track on HDTracks. Bass was definitely much more present. While trying to volume match the iPhone to the laptop, I realised the bass became better. I am merely listening too softly. Once the volume increases the upright bass fills out much more.

Initial thoughts make me think that the HDTracks version sounds much more real. For instance, it is almost as if I can hear the wood vibrate on the upright bass. However, I will need to have to listen to both with them being volume-matched.

Hope my initial impressions get proven wrong though...paying 9.99€ for an album is a lot better than $24.99...

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack

Offline Paully

Reply #174 on: November 12, 2014, 04:58:05 PM
Discovered a new band, Bear's Den.  Bought one 12" single from them, might buy some albums too.

Accoustic:

Offline rockpassion

Reply #175 on: November 21, 2014, 03:53:16 PM
I listened to Madeleine Peyroux on Pandora a couple of days ago and really enjoyed her voice.  Other than Billie Holiday I cannot think of any other female voice that sounds similar. 

I started looking and found her highly touted Careless Love on Ebay.  It is the Mobile Fidelity LP and it was sealed and only $21 so I bought it.  It should be here Monday and I can't wait. 

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #176 on: November 22, 2014, 12:07:32 AM
I listened to Madeleine Peyroux on Pandora a couple of days ago and really enjoyed her voice.  Other than Billie Holiday I cannot think of any other female voice that sounds similar. 

I started looking and found her highly touted Careless Love on Ebay.  It is the Mobile Fidelity LP and it was sealed and only $21 so I bought it.  It should be here Monday and I can't wait. 

Richard

Good to see Madeleine Peyroux get some love, Half the perfect world and Dreamland have been on the play list for ages now. I don't have Careless Love so please do post your impressions. Her voice and that laid back vocal Jazz style fit just perfectly.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Mordicai

Reply #177 on: November 22, 2014, 04:31:53 AM
Downloaded Careless Love from HD Tracks this morning. Hadn't heard her before. Thanks for the heads up. Sweet voice.

Offline wullymc

Reply #178 on: November 22, 2014, 02:09:12 PM

I just bought Rush - Signals LP.   Classic!

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Kris

Reply #179 on: November 22, 2014, 03:34:56 PM
Pink Floyd - The Endless River
Willie Jones III - The Next Phase
Vangelis - Blade Runner (SACD)