What are we buying these days?...

Chris · 61827

Offline Grainger49

Reply #180 on: November 23, 2014, 04:43:28 PM
First time in my collection Led Zepplin 1.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #181 on: November 28, 2014, 09:22:17 AM
I received my Madeleine Peyroux album on Tuesday.  I thought the album was good, not great but good.  Some of the selections were a little veiled and did not seem to have the umph that the other tracks had.  Although a few of the tracks were really nice, great soundstaging and nice bass.

For me this is late night listening music.  It is quiet, subtle, and very easy going.  Her voice is just so smooth and velvety.  One thing that may be influencing my impression is, I listened to it at really low levels, 65 - 70 db,  it was late at night and my wife was asleep.  So,  maybe with a little volume it will sound a bit better. 

I would recommend this to anyone that likes Billie Holiday and easy going Jazz/Blues.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline aragorn723

Reply #182 on: November 29, 2014, 05:01:40 PM
Pink Floyd - The Endless River
Willie Jones III - The Next Phase
Vangelis - Blade Runner (SACD)

How are you liking The Endless River?  I like Pink Floyd a lot, old and new.. kinda hoping this one is an enjoyable listen too.

Dave

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #183 on: November 29, 2014, 11:15:16 PM
War On Drugs "Lost In The Dream"

I like the CD so much I decided to get in on Vinyl as well, something I don't do very often.

Its got immersive style that hooks you and is equally enjoyable playing quietly in the background for chilling out or cranking up the volume and letting it rock.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #184 on: November 30, 2014, 03:06:33 AM
Nickel Creek, Nickel Creek, on vinyl.  I think this was from a digital master.  The soundstage doesn't seem as good as the CD.  I'll give it a clean and decide if I buy any more vinyl of them.

Offline Kris

Reply #185 on: November 30, 2014, 05:48:55 AM
How are you liking The Endless River?  I like Pink Floyd a lot, old and new.. kinda hoping this one is an enjoyable listen too.

Dave

I am really enjoying The Endless River, though this album is not for everyone. It's 95% instrumental so it may be hard to accept even for big PF fans.
Great '"farewell" album in my opinion (PF claims that this is their last).

Sounds superb in 24/96.

Cheers,
Kris

Offline Kris

Reply #186 on: December 04, 2014, 07:56:36 AM
If anyone's interesting, I just received email from HDTracks with link to this album: http://www.hdtracks.com/beautiful-life and scored one for myself already.
Beautiful music in hi-rez files for cheap, a breathtaking story and per description in the email: "All proceeds HDtracks receives from Beautiful Life will be donated to The Ana Grace Project of Klingberg Family Centers, founded by Greene's wife Nelba", so we all can contribute to something good in this special time of the year.

Kris

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #187 on: December 07, 2014, 12:26:17 AM
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss "Raising Sand" found on Amazon for 99p.  It would have been rude not to ;D

Offline Grainger49

Reply #188 on: December 07, 2014, 01:24:44 AM
There was too much Robert Plant and not enough Alison Krauss for me on that one.  I guess I am not that into Plant.

However, I hope you enjoy it.

Offline Maynard

Reply #189 on: December 07, 2014, 01:34:51 AM
Got this late 60s deutsche grammophone pressing of their "avant garde" boxset #1 the other day, man those guys new how to record an ensemble! Lovely pressings to boot. Sounds stunning through the crack.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #190 on: December 07, 2014, 03:54:04 AM
There was too much Robert Plant and not enough Alison Krauss for me on that one.  I guess I am not that into Plant.

However, I hope you enjoy it.

That is exactly what has been putting me off its purchase for the last few years!

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #191 on: December 07, 2014, 04:06:21 AM
I tend to skip that album when in comes up in my playlist...

M.McCandless

Offline Grainger49

Reply #192 on: December 07, 2014, 05:33:07 AM
So, I'm not alone.  However I found the CD a nice home with someone who liked it.  No need for it to collect dust on the shelf.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #193 on: December 07, 2014, 09:36:37 AM
I am liking this brother and sister duo the full album is on youtube if anyone would like a taster.  Going to try and curb  buying anything more now till the new year  :(

Angus and Julia Stone "Angus and Julia Stone"

Offline wullymc

Reply #194 on: December 07, 2014, 02:55:26 PM
Hey Guys,

Bought  You+Me - RoseAve the duo of Pink and Dallas Green.    Really good album.  Boy the voices on those 2!

I have the Plant/Krauss album.  I like it!

I am wondering about the album by Billie Joe and Nora Jones.  Anyone have it and recommend it?

Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!