What are we buying these days?...

Chris · 61826

Offline Grainger49

Reply #225 on: April 30, 2015, 12:33:49 AM
I just bought 2 Ronnie Earl CDs Good News and Grateful Heart.  An audio buddy brought these two over and I really liked the style of Jazz on them.  He has a lot of albums out there.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:35:23 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #226 on: April 30, 2015, 03:51:59 AM
If you love My One and Only Thrill you will find her album "Worrisome Heart" very much of the same flavour they both sound just heavenly out of my hot rodded Crack running a GEC 6as7g with the HD650's  ;D

She also has another album due for release June 1st  ;)

Edit just had a quick look to see if anything from it was out yet and found this video on Preacher Man from the new album and can only say if the album is anything like the quality of production shown in the video its going to be pure class.

That's me in for a pre order of the Currency Of Man: The Artist's Cut

I've been working my way through her albums on Spotify, have to order some CD's now as i cant find any high res digital versions.   There is another song from the new album on spotify "Same to you".

M.McCandless

Offline Loggie

Reply #227 on: May 13, 2015, 06:53:31 AM
Yesterday I was watching a movie called "Focus" with Will Smith.
At a certain moment in the movie a song was playing......a tune I absolutely loved.
After some Googling I found out that the song was an old song (1969) from a band called "It's a beautiful day".
The song is called "White Bird".
I really had to have that album on vinyl and bought a reissue from the UK on Ebay.

Here is the song:

One slight problem now.....can't get that song out of my head  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 06:58:14 AM by Loggie »

Arno

Bottlehead Crack--Lenco L76-Thorens TD147--Cyrus IIIi+PSX-R--KEF Q7--Klipsch R-26F--Marantz CD72 SE--Philips CD202--Musical Fidelity XLPS V3--CNC Phono Stage

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #228 on: May 13, 2015, 07:56:33 AM
My first experience with a forgotten band that was surviving by playing at trade shows and such was It's a Beautiful Day showing up at something like a dog show, or hot rod show or something equally mundane back in the 80s in San Francisco. The band came up on stage and everyone was like "whoa, look at the old hippies!". Then they started singing White Bird, and a look of recognition came over the faces in the crowd. They are genuine hippies from the Summer of Love.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Loggie

Reply #229 on: May 13, 2015, 08:06:17 AM
Its funny how we discover bands sometimes  :)

The "summer of love" it must have been something. I'm from 1958 so at that time not even a teenager.....but I'm sure I would have loved to be around at that time in my twenties (or something).
You know a lot of songs from that period have such an impact and create such a specific atmosphere (hard to describe what I mean).
Anyway I'm glad I re-discovered that band and even happier I was able to buy the album.

Arno

Bottlehead Crack--Lenco L76-Thorens TD147--Cyrus IIIi+PSX-R--KEF Q7--Klipsch R-26F--Marantz CD72 SE--Philips CD202--Musical Fidelity XLPS V3--CNC Phono Stage

Offline Tubejack

Reply #230 on: May 13, 2015, 11:50:38 AM
It;s a Beautiful Day, released in 1969, I was 20,  I have the original album purchased in '69 as well as a reissue on 180g vinyl.  Amazon has the "Live at the Fillmore 1968" CD, which has a DVD of the David LaFlamme  Story.  It's a good watch.  If interested, his page is http://www.davidlaflamme.com/index.htm.

Read the Wikipedia page and the story about the flip of a coin .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Beautiful_Day

And still playing gigs ....

... always takes me back ....

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Samsquatch

Reply #231 on: May 13, 2015, 04:10:43 PM
Having my first listen to It's A Beautiful Day. They have a seriously talented band from what's streaming to me from google. Wicked fiddle player. Then there's the harp player.. Much music I really love comes from that era and I've never heard of these guys.

Thanks Bottlehead forum

Mike
Winnipeg
Stereomour II   Seductor/Smash  Crack HD650 HD700
Rega Planar P3 Reduction Ortofon Bronze
Nuforce DAC 80
Fostex FE126EN in DIY backloaded horn enclosures
Best sounding system I've ever owned

Offline Samsquatch

Reply #232 on: May 13, 2015, 04:15:40 PM
I also just switched back to the Mullard EL84s in my Seductor, that I swapped in soon after I built it, and realized that the Tung Sols I've been playing for the last 150 hours or so have not been enjoyable.

Mike
Winnipeg
Stereomour II   Seductor/Smash  Crack HD650 HD700
Rega Planar P3 Reduction Ortofon Bronze
Nuforce DAC 80
Fostex FE126EN in DIY backloaded horn enclosures
Best sounding system I've ever owned

Offline Loggie

Reply #233 on: May 14, 2015, 01:41:44 AM
@Tubejack:
Thank you for the links and I will have a look at the CD you mentioned.

Since you have the original release and the reissue.....can you hear any differences between them?

@Samsquatch:
Good to hear you like them as well.
Forums are a great way to discover new (and old)  things (music in this case).

++++++++++++++++++++

Just received an email that my Ebay purchase of "It's a Beautiful Day" is on its way.....can't wait to listen to it  :)

Because I was in a buying mood I bought a few more secondhand albums:

+Calvin Russell - A Crack In Time
+Mountain Man - Made the Harbor
+Neil Young - Eldorado
+It's a Beautiful Day - Self Titled ('72 issue) <-------Yes I know, already bought another one but this one will be a backup  :)
+Gino Vannelli - Brother To Brother (US press)
+Gino Vannelli - The Gist of The Gemini

It's ime to let my Thorens do some work  8)

Arno

Offline Tubejack

Reply #234 on: May 14, 2015, 05:44:07 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist - same song, same David, with the first Linda ...... 45 years ago .....

https://youtu.be/rOn8vl0XBVQ?t=36m35s

To answer the question if the 180g vinyl remaster sounds different than the original '69 pressing - to me, less surface noise (as you would assume), but somehow, to me, less dynamic.  Many of the "audiophile" thicker reissue pressings don't impress me as being as good as the original, and I don't exactly know why.  My guess - my TT is setup with a VTA that is a compromise between my older, thinner pressings and the thicker newer 180-200g vinyl pressings I have.  I probably should take the time to optimize VTA for each and try to compare.  ..... but after a couple of fingers of Lagavulin 16, it all sounds good ......

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Kris

Reply #235 on: May 14, 2015, 07:01:47 AM

You know a lot of songs from that period have such an impact...

I remember when I listen to "Bombay Calling" for the first time in my life and I couldn't believe that my favorite at that time song "Child in Time" it's just a cover of Bombay Calling ???. BTW Deep Purple called that an "inspiration" back then ;D

Offline Loggie

Reply #236 on: May 16, 2015, 02:36:52 AM
@Tubejack:
Maybe the reissues have been cleaned up a bit too much?
Or maybe they have been given a slightly different mix?
I have several reissues from several bands and some sound good and some sound not so good.

The VTA you mentioned playing a 120 or 180gr album shouldn't give any problems.
The thickness is not that much of a difference I think. Or at least not a difference you should be able to hear (at least I don't hear any difference).

What TT do you have ?

@Kris:
When I heard that song "Bombay Calling" "Deep Purple Made in Japan" was still on my TT...I couldn't believe what I was hearing :-)
I like both songs btw !

Arno

Offline Paully

Reply #237 on: May 22, 2015, 05:17:07 PM
Bought a bunch of Metallica albums.  Load, Black, and And Justice For All.  Quite a hard rockin' good time.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #238 on: June 01, 2015, 01:47:36 PM
Hello All,

Went to The Show and heard some wonderful music.  One thing I did not do was take paper and pencil for writing down artists and albums I was listening to.  There is always unbelieveable music there and I won't make that mistake next year. 

However, I did buy two albums, one CD and one LP.  The LP was an Analogue Productions product titled "Dream with Dean" featuring Dean Martin.  It is a 1964 remake and is absolutely stunning.  The music is great, the sound quality clear as a bell and this album really shows how well Dean could sing.  Buy it if you like this style of music. 

The CD was heard in the Silvertone room.  First, this speaker, IMHO, was the second best at The Show.  It was clear, smooth and I could not find a fault with its preformance.  The CD was Saint Saens Symphony No. 3 "Organ" performance.  I bought it at the Reference Recording booth right next to the Bottlehead booth.  It is a HDCD.  I like Saint Saens but had never heard this performance.  It has both melody and dynamics.  There is real slam in some of the passages and if you are looking for a CD that challenges your systems speakers get this.  Also, play it on the loud side.  The Organ passages are great.  My speakers only go down to about 50 hz while the Silvertones on which I origninally heard this CD went below 30  hz and it was unbelieveable.  If your speakers or you have subs that drop this low you will be really surprised at this CD.  My recommendation, for what it is worth, is to buy this CD. 

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #239 on: June 01, 2015, 02:28:57 PM
 The #3 is one of my favorites. Mobil Fidelity, did one of there "Original Master Recordings" with the Philadelphia Orchestra and Michale Murray some years ago.
The same performance was released on CD by Telarc.

Well worth finding...John     

John Scanlon