Am I the only one happy with the sound of a CD player?

johnsonad · 10596

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 06:10:48 AM
Greg told me once what he did when his VCR chewed up a tape. I'd repeat the story here, but there are women, children and men with weak stomachs who browse these forums, and I don't need the FBI knocking on my door...

4krow

Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 07:04:43 AM
  Now  I recall, a CD club kept sending CD's to me that I didn't order. Once again the 4WD came in handy, and afterward, I sent it back to them like that. Funny, no more CD's came my way. That's how it's done in Wyoming.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 07:25:51 AM
Back in the day of IBM computer punch cards a buddy of mine told me, and showed me how, to add some odd holes in the card to send back to them.  It worked pretty well.  The cards would be kicked out of the system and someone with a brain had to handle it.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:39 AM
My old co-worker hipped me to a good Phillips DVD player that can be easily made region free. The one downside to them is they under-speced the voltage rating on one capacitor, so they have a high failure rate, usually with the disc drawer. His was developing problems, so he brought his player into the office, we walked over to RadioShack and I soldered in a new cap for him. Later I found the same model at a Goodwill and I still use it for playing foreign DVDs.

The funniest part of this to me is that on a forum obsessed with fixing things that aren't broken by replacing capacitors, the broken device was smashed rather than fixed with a capacitor. Ending is better than mending. What a brave new world.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Chris

Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:46 AM
Haha , you are too much 4k... and that is EXACTLY what should be done!!!  Fix it????  I think not... Demolition is the ticket....   and I too, remember the huge PITA company that would send me cds to send back.. They would NEVER send me anything I liked either....and let me see, Cabin, violence, destruction.. You are  "Jason" (Friday the 13th) to the electronic component world... Did you make the "chooo chooo chooo" noises as you were terrorizing your component??  :)

4krow

Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 10:37:28 AM
OMG Chris, um, no, I I I didn't make those noises, but stranger than fiction, a train ran through the mountains where I lived, casting an Erie light through the trees at night. Me and the elk got nervous at it's arrival. "Hear me! electronic devices, witness your fate after your mediocrity!" Two light bulbs instantly blow themselves...

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:49 AM
"The funniest part of this to me is that on a forum obsessed with fixing things that aren't broken by replacing capacitors, the broken device was smashed rather than fixed with a capacitor."

Speaking ONLY for myself: I don't really understand the circuits, I just follow directions. Swapping in a (inevitably more expensive) component is something I can do without much brain power. And whether it improves the sound or not, the modding (which, again, doesn't require much in the way of understanding) is fun. This is a hobby, after all.

Fixing something requires understanding, unless it is a wholly obvious mechanical failure of a part that is physically large enough that I have a hope of seeing it and being able to fix it. I never would have thought that a sticking disc drawer on CD/DVD player was due to a faulty or under-specified capacitor, and I wouldn't even begin to know how to go about diagnosing such a problem.

It is easier to throw money at something than it is to gain knowledge. It isn't just a question of effort, it is a question of time. I don't mind putting in the effort to learn something, but I don't have the time. While I can post on BH during the day, corporate realities being what they are, I cannot sit at my desk and read electronics textbooks, nor can I tinker with projects and conduct experiments. That has to be done at home, when I make it there, and where I have a host of other competing priorities (primarily my kids and wife).

It is no exaggeration to say that as your income rises, you tend to spend less money on things/objects per se, and more money on things that you could probably do yourself at little to no cost if you had the time.

None of which takes away from the fact that you are right: it is funny that people here "fix" things that aren't broking by inserting capacitors where they aren't needed, but break things that could be saved by inserting capacitors where they are needed!  ;)

Regards,
Adam

Offline corndog71

Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 01:59:50 PM
"Need" is subjective.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 03:16:25 PM
Great story Greg... It reminds me of my reaction when 750gb drive failed. I had it backed up. So, the sinking pit in my stomach was short lived. It did cause a reaction though. I had read about these drives failing. In a way I was indignant. "How can this happen to me".

Well, it wasnt long after that. I took it out to the garage. Thats where my trusty sledge awaited.... Well you can picture the rest. What did amaze me though.. was how TOUGH they build those 3.5" drives! I had to beat the living shit out of it to even dent it. Steel. I wanted to make sure NO one could get to my data. If I cant have it nobody can...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 03:27:38 PM
we are brothers Eric......I may not have mentioned that the offending DVD player had a bunch of issues, probably due to the many power problems in that area.

Offline Chris

Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 06:18:00 AM
Sometimes the best thing is to just friggin' destroy it, and sometimes to have it repaired... Just make sure the dang thing doesnt puncture your tire when you are running it over...haha,  that would add major insult to injury and not to mention the component would be getting the last laugh...

4krow

Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 06:27:39 AM
 And with THAT Chris, you leave me no other choice than to tell an old Wyoming tale of a rancher that was having trouble with coyotes on his property. He actually trapped one of them live, and managed to tie a stick of dynamite to it's tail. He lit it, let the coyote loose, and it ran right under his truck! He walked home.

Offline Chris

Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 06:53:57 AM
 :)

Offline bobster

Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 01:30:00 PM
Sounds like my kind of luck Greg

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

4krow

Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:25 PM
ANNND with that response comes another fine story, so sit back and relax. One day long long ago, a couple of tourists were driving through our great territory when BAM they hit a dog crossing the road. It was knocked out cold, but not dead, so they put in the car and drove to town to see the vet. On the way, the poor dog awoke and went crazy. The passenger took a club(it's what you carry when go to Wyoming) and clobbered the dog unconscious. Fortunately they made it to the vet and told him(doc Bischoff) what had happened. "we are so sorry that we had to club the dog this poor dog but there was no other way to control him." "Well, doc replied, I wouldn't worry too much about it. In these parts we call these dogs coyotes."