Am I the only one happy with the sound of a CD player?

johnsonad · 10600

Offline johnsonad

on: September 02, 2013, 10:46:23 AM
I'm quite happy with the sound of my old Meridian 508.24 CD player. It's about 20 years old and sounds great to anyone who has heard my system. Is anyone else out there happy with the sound of their player?  I admit it's a lot of system synergy but the Meridian has out lasted any single piece of gear in my system.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:50:50 AM
I feed an original Proceed PCD (circa 1990) into an Ack! dAck! and I am very pleased with the sound.  I like my LPs better, but the CD playing system is awfully good too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:17:25 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:14:02 AM
It's the ease of CD's and the dead quiet background that keep me coming back (--not to mention this player sounds very good).  And depending on the recording, that makes all the difference. I'll give an example. One of my favorite CD's is the FIM K2HD disc of Cantate Domino (1976 Proprius). They did a remarkable job on this CD. Saturday I borrowed an original vinyl copy of it to compare. After cleaning it on my trusty VPI 16 it went for a spin.  This copy had horrible surface noise which distracted from the quiet passages of this recording and there was bleed through. An original copy sells for $75 plus depending on where you get it. Now this may be a bad pressing or just not played well in the past. Sadly there was no hidden magic in this recording to one up over the CD copy.

I don't want to start a vinyl vs. digital debate. I'm really interested in if anyone has a CD player that they are happy with? I've had other players of which I quickly sold.

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paully

Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:48:32 AM
I am heavily into LPs these days, but sometimes I wonder if it is worth it...  I love the clean sound of CDs and the sound quality itself can be phenomenal.  And the expense of playing albums can get silly when you get too far into it.  A well recorded CD can be a treasure.

Offline howardnair

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 12:02:44 PM
no you are not alone--i have several- aJolida 100a fully modded by partsconnexion i believe with a tube stage-a Musichall 25.5 that i modded-and a Elekit  TU884 tube cd player-i like them all -a good cd is a good listen--also there is a fair amount of music out there that may never make it to vinyl--

Offline kgoss

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:31:13 PM
I'm very happy with my Marantz SA8004 player.  It is an SACD player and has a USB input so I also use it as a DAC for my ripped music library played back via JRiver on a computer.  I think vinyl is a bit better but digital sounds awfully good through this player too.

Ken Goss

4krow

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:03:00 PM
  I got kinda lucky too. I have Cayin tubed output CD player, not sure of the model. I also like an old Yamaha SACD player, but I never have horse raced the two of them. Seems that the Cayin has more musical ability than the Yamaha.

Offline Woid

Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 06:32:30 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, I cannot hear a significant difference in sound quality between my heavily modified Oracle turntable vs. my Sony SACD player from the 1990's.  I have a well recorded LP of John Klemmer "Touch" along with the CD version that I have listened to literally a hundred times and while they sound slightly different, it is extremely subtle.  Agree with all the above, CD's are cheaper, have a black sound backround, and much more convenient!

Lloyd Ito

Beyerdynamic T1/Bottlehead Mainline
Oracle Delphi Mk I turntable/Rega RB300 arm/Denon DL 103 cartridge
Sony SCD C333 ES SACD player
Counterpoint SA-3 preamp, SA-100 amp
Martin Logan Aerius speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 02:34:46 AM
Lloyd, I'll give you $100 for the Oracle!

(Tongue in cheek)  But seriously, what a great table/arm/cartridge combination! 

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 08:24:31 AM
Probably not, but I'll never go back. 

For me, music server forever blows the CD player in the weeks in both SQ and convenience!

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 09:54:37 AM
I listen to my 47labs kit player on weekdays. And I really enjoy its sound, which is better than my Denon DVD3910 that I use for the few SACD I have. Weekends is vinyl mostly.

@Tickwomp: How do you like your Audio Note Dac? Would you recommend it?

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Woid

Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 10:56:34 AM
Lloyd, I'll give you $100 for the Oracle!

(Tongue in cheek)  But seriously, what a great table/arm/cartridge combination! 

Thanks Grainger!  But unless I am down to my last buck, I could never let it go for any amount of money due to sentimental reasons.

Lloyd Ito

Beyerdynamic T1/Bottlehead Mainline
Oracle Delphi Mk I turntable/Rega RB300 arm/Denon DL 103 cartridge
Sony SCD C333 ES SACD player
Counterpoint SA-3 preamp, SA-100 amp
Martin Logan Aerius speakers

4krow

Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 11:21:43 AM
 Tickwomp,

I too have found a music server with a memory that is just what I always wanted. Funny how the concept from Olive, Yamaha, and few others didn't quite take like it should have. I will never regret the small amount that I paid for my Yamaha MCX1000.

Offline corndog71

Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 11:41:26 AM
I have an original Rega Planet that's still going strong over 14 years later.  Of course paired with my V-DAC Mk II it sounds even better!  But then I don't listen to CDs very often.  I just add the songs to my hard drive and put the CD in storage. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:44:44 AM by corndog71 »

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

4krow

Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 11:54:29 AM
 I owned a Rega Apollo, and I have to say, it really is one of my favorite CD players. Yup, should have kept that one.