'ol one ear.

azrockitman · 4274

Offline azrockitman

on: September 07, 2013, 08:37:36 PM
8 years ago, I went deaf in my right ear, overnight.  Virus.  Left me deaf in that ear and also deposited a strong dose of tinnitus.  Tinnitus for those uninitiated, can range from a chirping sound, to ringing, to a roar.  Mine is a roar, much like you would experience in a machine shop. 

I had amassed by that point in my life what I considered a significant amount of quality solid state equipment, B&K Reference amps and preamps.  A really amazing Esoteric (teac) SACD/CD player.  Good interconnects, etc. Modest turntable but a fairly nice Sumiko cartridge.  Way way way below what you'd find in Stereophile regularly, but I was extremely happy with the results.

Prior to the hearing loss, there were nights when I was single that I would crank the A/C up for about an hour so the house would remain cool enough here in the desert, and then I would shut it off completely so it wouldn't come on and would no longer produce any noise, unplug my fridge so that noise would be eliminated (after I made a drink!) and listen to music in pristine quiet.  I loved that experience.  it was audio bliss, to me.

Immediately after the hearing loss, I was devastated.  I thought my wanna-be audiophile days were over.  But they weren't.

Tinnitus is a crazy thing.  If you don't think about it, it tends to disappear.  As I sit here and type comments about, it's roaring like a machine shop because I'm thinking about it.  But when I don't think about it and relax and listen to music there are many times I can tune it out completely. 

As far as the hearing loss goes, well nothing will bring that back.  Although......there are an odd assortment of high frequencies that still push through, and they come through mostly when I'm wearing my headphones.  There are some pieces of music, usually jazz, where if I'm relaxed and not thinking about the tinnitus, it's nearly as if nothing ever happened and i can hear most of the left and right channel.  Just no bass on the right.  In reality, probably 95% of the channel is missing on the right, but it's just crazy what hearing that small range of some high end frequency can do to make my brain feel like it's hearing the entire soundstage.

Another strange thing happened over time.  I can "face" my loudspeakers with just my good (left) ear, ...and I can place sound.  I can hear left channel on the left, and I can hear the right channel on the right.  I don't know if that's the effect you hear about when someone loses one of their senses and the others over-compensate or if it's the fact that some very few select frequencies come through my bad ear, but it's cool, whatever has caused it to occur.

I guess that's my little message.  I was so depressed initially that one of the great loves of my life was gone when this happened, but it wasn't.  I can still hear the difference between a shitty recording, and a great one.  Still hear the amazing warmth, and quiet of the sound that my stereomour produces.  And the moments when it's quiet, and I'm not focused on anything other than the music, it's as if nothing ever happened. 

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

4krow

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:06:38 AM
AZRM,

I'm glad that you shared this. Almost no one talks about the inevitable hearing loss, one way or another. This is kind of like Playboy not discussing pregnancy or VD.
   Your right about the brain doing better than expected when it has to. I can attest (as many of us could) to the difference in hearing ability decreasing over the years. Yet, I can still enjoy the music. Most interesting is the fact that many who still have perfect hearing have no idea what it even is good for, let alone take care of it. How many times have you seen someone use a Skillsaw, or other extremely loud tool without using hearing protection?

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 04:56:29 AM
Thats an interesting story. Another example of how much of a role the brain plays in perception. The images on our retina are actually upside down is another example. I did read somewhere that tinnitus is partially due to the brain turning up the "gain" when it perceives a loss of hearing. I have experienced that I can decrease it by focused relaxation on the tinnitus and my hearing in general. 

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:13:25 AM
Wow, I am amazed by that story.  I'm glad you find such enjoyment in this hobby and it didn't hold you back.

I have been playing drums for a long time.  More than 2 decades of rock performing alone.  Being a band director and music teacher also lends to loud environments.  Glad I only have, what I consider, a small amount of noise in my ears.  I used earplugs a majority of the time during the first couple years, and exclusively for a long time. 

Disappears completely when I am listening or doing literally anything else.  But I wish I would have been mature enough to protect my hearing. 

Thanks for sharing.

ben

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 06:08:04 AM
I've had tinnitus for 13 years.  An audiologist suggested taking Folic Acid.  I take 400-800 units of Folic acid a day.  It has suppressed the ringing in the left ear and almost removed it from the right.  Of course it comes and goes.

a couple of decades in heavy industry, even with hearing protection, has taken a toll on my hearing.  I attempt to make up for it with a cheap tweeter, but it is crude and doesn't mix well with the Orcas.  Clark is going to make a suggestion.

Good post man!

4krow

Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:16:54 AM
 Oh Eric-Eric, Eric,,,it's upside down AND backwards. swing, and a Miss(pun Included).

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:15:27 PM
Well said Master Greg... - (spoken in the voice of Alfred)

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:58:38 PM
Thanks all.   8)

The first moment that I first felt some optimism was actually when I went to my first audiologist appointment a few weeks after it happened and he confirmed the near total loss in the right ear, but most importantly confirmed my left ear was nearly 95% perfect.  Maybe I should go by something like
"mano con mono".  (I probably screwed up that spanglish attempt)

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:58:54 PM
Dude with the kissing disease?

Now I have fractured Spanish.

Offline RPMac

Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:42:15 AM
I've had ringing for about 20 years. I'm going to try the Folic Acid.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 04:50:00 AM
Grainger, that was funny

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 11:17:39 AM
Tim, my heart really goes out to you. 

I got into HiFi with my heart after a hearing loss scare when I was 19.  Was just starting to help out Terry Cain and diy my own gear around that time.   Went to see my favorite band, Stereolab, in Portland at the crystal ballroom with a friend.  Out of chivalry I lent them the earplugs I so religiously kept on me to use at shows that sounded this bad, (or too loud).  And unfortunately, the sound at this show was absolutely horrid, and extremely loud.  But I kept my spirits up and just tried to grit my teeth and bear the high volumes W/O protection and enjoy some of the music.  I positioned myself right at the front of the stage where I was listening more to their monitors than to the squawking PA system.  But when I woke up in the morning, both ears:  "EEEEEEEEEKKK!"

It lasted for 4 weeks solid.  I thought it was permanent.  but over time it went away completely (and now I'm extra careful (and lucky!)).   But during those four weeks, I was scared shitless.  So I did alot of research about hearing loss and what causes it and theories, etc. 

Theres a really interesting study I read somewhere (it was legitimate, but I haven't been able to find the article again), that was testing the notion that "pleasant" sounds and those with dynamic range cause less hearing loss at the same SPL's as "unpleasant" sounds.  Compared were career choices.  Like symphony conductors, PA system operators, versus airplane pilots or oil derrick workers, etc.  Same average SPL exposure over the same number of hours each day, but far more often (and severe) hearing loss in the case of the pilots/industrial noise pollution.  This is such a fascinating hypothesis because it would mean that potentially designers could "design out" hearing loss causing noises from many facets of industry (?), everyday appliances even?  who knows?

But in my own quest, that scare got me even deeper into high fidelity, and in particular, the "pleasant sounding" ilk of high fidelity equipment as a way to both:

1. make speakers that hurt the ears less and encourage reasonable listening levels
2. give a "healing listening" option to those who have hearing loss and need to be careful about causing further damage, etc. - I.E. that beautiful music can distract from tinitus and help give the brain some respite at least.

Of course, I am not an audiologist so I'm not an expert in the science behind this.  But to my understanding, the science of hearing loss is still very much in its infancy.  Its such a complex topic with so many contributing factors, over very long time domains.  Its hard to design clinical trials that are really "clean" experiments to test theories.

So that's why I got into the business of HiFi to help folks in a concrete way during my lifetime (hopefully), rather than to follow in the footsteps of my dad, who is a biostatistician, designing clinical trials to test cancer treatments, etc.

Grainger, still reseaching tweeters for you.  So many options!

Cheers,

Clark

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 11:22:04 AM
Wet toilet paper, man. Wet toilet paper.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:14 AM
Clark,

I heard Fleetwood Mack in 1969 in a basket ball court building.  They had 54 speaker cabinets and I had ringing for days after. 

That is why I so religously wore hearing protection after that.  Forgot for my last Allman Brothers concert.  And our seats were in front of tower speakers.  I got napkins and hammered them into my ears.  Paula got the ear plugs begged off of the security guy.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 11:48:09 AM
Serious question: does anyone have advice on earplugs for concerts? Something that deadens the sound levels, but keeps garbling to a minimum?