Fyi about cd transports

Guest · 10227

audiophileboss

on: September 11, 2013, 03:14:11 PM
I owned the Audio Research Cd-9 transport up till now. Just bought an Accoustic arts drive II. Waiting for my Wireworld Starlight Platnium cable to come in. Once it does I will post what I think them/it. Anyone own the Drive II from AA? Impressions?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:33:22 PM
I didn't know there was even a market still for CD transports.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:21:53 PM
I hope so. Any time I have tried to play a CD in a DVD player, it drives me crazy.

Reading...Reading...Identifying...Thinking about it...Deciding if a lowly CD is worth playing...Thinking about it some more...OK if you insist. 

John Scanlon

Offline Chris

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:03:47 AM
Yeah and the WORST is the dreaded... "CANNOT read, ERROR"... ERROR!!! and just why might that be??? Can drive a man nuts...

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:46:24 AM
I don't think the general population is considering DVD players as an evolutionary step up from CD players in delivering redbook digital content. The music server (i.e. music delivered off a hard disc, be it iPod, Roku or PC based music server) is probably what has moved most CD players into thrift stores. Well, that and dead lasers. The perceived step up in convenience is similar to that promoted by the CD makers vs. the LP when CDs first came out. Luckily this time the sonic quality can actually improve with the change in the medium. I was caught quite off guard by this improvement in sonics when I first experienced it myself several years ago.

That said, I do still have a few friends who seem to be pursuing the latest gadgeted-up player. In light of what I heard coming off a server vs. coming off a CD/DVD transport, I can't say I think that is money well spent. But I imagine that like turntables and yes, even reel to reel decks, there will always be a niche market for a high end CD transport. And certain CD players will become cult worship objects just like certain Garrards and Studers.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Armaegis

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:50:41 AM
I think these days DVD players are getting passed over in favour of an xbox/playstation. They can play dvds AND access netflix.

Offline Chris

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 08:42:23 AM
All in one Oppos are popular also... People are definitely using their DVD players for cd playback these days... the average consumer wants an all in one gadget more than separates ( as in a home cinema system and an audio playback system).. I, for one, am NOT the average consumer and want BOTH... :)

Offline denti alligator

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 09:13:38 AM
What I want is a CD player that can also play SACD (and perhaps also DVD-Audio, though that's not essential) and also work as a network player to receive (through ethernet) and output (digitally) my FLAC from my server. Oh, and it has to be able to do this gaplessly. There's the rub. I don't think such a player exists. Yet.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline odamone

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 05:01:45 PM
+1 lack of gapless playback is the only reason I haven't bought an oppo. Why is gapless so hard?

CD -> FLAC -> Squeezebox Touch -> Rega DAC -> PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Integrated Amplifier -> Quad 22L2

Oliver

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 05:21:40 PM
+1 lack of gapless playback is the only reason I haven't bought an oppo. Why is gapless so hard?

Yeah, I wonder the same thing (Swenson, where are you?).

The first MP3 player that I bought in 1999 had gapless playback, none others that I have purchased since do.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 05:54:26 PM
I dont know, IMO I dont know why anyone is still using anything other than a laptop for their digital. SO much more flexible. I have been all over the map with my musical bits. Most of the experimentation done for little or no cost. I could care less what the DAC du jour has in its firmware. It has probably already been done in software, been there done that.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 04:25:59 AM
Yeah, a laptop is ideal. Output with USB to DAC and basta! But it would be nice to have a CD/SACD player, too. Especially the SACD.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 03:36:01 PM
iPod touch, iPad or iPhone --> Pure i-20 --> coaxial cable --> DAC

Smaller, cheaper, simpler than a laptop.  ;)

Offline Chris

Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 05:49:02 AM
I agree with Earwaxxer and adam... But, it still makes me want to sit on the fence a little longer before committing  to anything.. Source wise that is...

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 08:46:52 AM
Chris,

If you have an iDevice, do try out a Pure i-20. They work amazingly well, and at $100 or so, they are dirt-cheap, too. If you plan on using one with an iPad, get one of these, too. Actually, get one no matter what iDevice you plan on using. Trying to select an album/track while the device is in the dock is a royal PITA. These cables are overpriced, but the build quality is excellent (far better than any other non-boutique iDevice cables I've tried), and ultimately they are worth the price in terms of convenience and peace of mind.

If you decide you don't like the Pure i-20, I'll buy it from you. I already have 3, but I'm sure I can find a good use for a 4th.

Best regards,
Adam