Dungeness in the House - System Now Complete

dhherring · 6300

Offline dhherring

on: September 17, 2013, 02:27:34 AM
Received my new Dungeness sub from Clark and Molly yesterday.

Hooked it right up to my S.E.X 2.1 and existing pair of Orcas. The Dungeness replaced a Dayton Audio Sub-800 (or something like that).

Whoa.   While I thought the Dayton was doing a fairly good job, I hear now it is nowhere in the same league as the Orca/Dungeness combination.

I'm not very good at articulating sonic qualities, but I think the biggest improvement in the sound scape is in the lower mids/upper bass frequencies. It's like another realm of sound has just opened up.  Also, the bass is much clearer and more refined.

Many thanks to Clark and Molly for producing smaller sub that fits into my environment.  The only reason I did not pursue the Orca sub was its size - it just would not work in my listening area.  The Dungeness is a perfect fit and match.

Don
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:05:32 AM by dhherring »

Home: Rega RP-1 -> Eros Phono Pre -> Stereomour -> Klipsch Heresys
Office: Raspberry Pi w/Raspyfi -> Aune T1 DAC -> S.E.X 2.1 -> Blumenstein Orcas/Dungeness Sub

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:49:11 AM
I am expecting similar things.  The Boston Acoustics sub I have is not nearly as quick as the Orcas.  That makes the bass heavy and plodding.  It is like it is being held back.

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:17 AM
Don - just wait until that Dungeness driver loosens up in a few weeks!

Glad to hear you are enjoying it so much!

Cheers,

-Clark

Offline Chris

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 07:53:39 AM
I agree with you G.. i had the same experience auditioning a Boston sub years back...massive power this had (15''), but super slow....its of course NOT audiophile caliber...

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:21:37 PM
I should have also mentioned that we're running a 10% off sale. Use coupon code WORLD'S_BEST_SPEAKERS when checking out and get 10% off your entire order. This goes through end of day Saturday, September 21st. If you're on our newsletter list you should have already received this info the beginning of this week.

Cheers,

Clark

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:45:49 PM
I noticed the Woofer on the Dungeness looks different from the one on my Orca Subwoofer and wondering if its just the surround or if its a different diameter/make too?  I'm perfectly happy with the Orca woofer and was just curious about the differences between the two.

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:53:17 AM
Tang Band versus Peerless woofer driver.  The power handling of the Dungeness is not quite as great as the Orca Sub, nor is the amplifier as powerful, but the tuning comes out really nice and flat in most rooms.  And it is very Speedy Gonzales!

The Dungeness is a roughly ~11 liter cabinet, the Orca Sub is ~17 liters.  I found it easier/less costly for us to heavily brace a smaller enclosure - to end up with the same "ultra rigid" result.  This innovation took the price of the cabinet down quite a bit in terms of overhead.  Also, it took learning a new trick in machining to make an even longer solid wood port that is needed for the Tang Band woofer.  They go deeply, easily, but like the Orcas, the power handling is not extreme but they really come to life at low (real world) volumes.  The old Orca sub also wakes up nicely at low volume, And people are able to get them playing louder than the Dungeness pound for pound.  You'd want to use the Dungeness in arrays if you wanted to get them REALLY loud, which they don't need to be for the Orcas.  But they probably could be mated well with other fullrange speakers as well, just the same way that people use their Orcas with subwoofers from other companies sometimes too. 

We are also offering the Dungeness in a passive version.  ($50 less) for international customers who either have their own subwoofer amplifier or want to buy a bamboo cased Dayton SPA250 from us ($150)

Can't wait to deliver these new subwoofers to the rush of orders we got during our sale.  Should be fun to see what more people think of the new subs' performance.

Cheers,

Clark

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 10:24:04 AM
Don,

I have a pair of Dungeness ordered.  My birthday (Monday this week) and Christmas present.  It will "complete" my system, maybe.  But the system is never finished!

It is a sickness.  My 12 step program is buying LPs and CDs.  Since I figure it is all about the music I spend a lot of my "Expendable income" recently on software.  And some capacitors.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 02:04:09 PM
I debated and debated (amongst myself of course) about retrofitting my old sub and trying a new woofer, since I hated the quality of the sound out of it, .....then possibly having to get a new sub amp for it if the subwoofer still didn't sound good.....and ended up tabling that idea and ordering my own Dungeness. (only one).

;D   I'm infected with the disease myself now. 

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline RPMac

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 04:20:15 AM
Happy birthday, Grainger!!!

At our age, we don't care to celebrate birthdays unless it is an excuse to buy a new toy.

I assume you are going to use the pair of Dungeness a la PJ's Sexy speaker idea.
I bought a Sexy speaker setup that appears to be as PJ originally spec them.
The subs have no ID other than "C E powered subwoofer"...no model number or anything else. I like what the subs add to my Heresy speakers, but I always thought bass was "boomy". Over the years, I have decreased the level, but increased the crossover until I get a fuller body to the sound.

I was wondering if someone could explain the difference between "good" subs and these obviously "cheap" subs.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 07:04:37 AM
Robert,

Exactly!  I haven't gotten the shipping confirmation yet.  Soon, I hope.

I will probably put them below the (already a little short) speaker stands I have my Orcas on.  Then play with positions.

Offline Molly B

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 12:34:12 PM
Happy belated birthday, Grainger!

The bamboo was on back order for a lot longer than we expected, but at this point we've sourced all the parts and are only a week or so away from beginning shipment of the first full production run of Dungeness.

We tried them on our floor stands like in the attached picture and were really pleased with the sound.

Molly Blumenstein | Blumenstein Audio

Offline BNAL

Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 01:07:17 PM
That would be cool to have the Dungeness on stands and center channel Orcas on top.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:44 AM
Molly,

Thanks for the update.  I'm awfully eager! 

That looks like a great position.  Should the Orca speaker be inboard or outboard?  That looks like a right speaker position.

I know every Bottlehead who ordered is rejoicing!

Offline Clark B.

• Blumenstein Audio
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 09:30:32 AM
Grainger, you can use an Orca on its side with drivers on the outside, inside, or center set.  Each has a slightly different sound because you are physically (not electronically!!!) adjusting the baffle step.  Its hard to say which one I prefer on an absolute scale.  In our room, I spend the most time listening to our Orcas on floorstands and Dungeness sub or subs on the floor next to the floorstands (can be a little behind the floorstands.  But I really find strengths about the baffle step adjustment that takes place in the adjacent-to-subwoofer placement  in other room situations.  That's the beauty of the modular system, though!  You can just configure them in the way that works best in your room without modifying things irreparably.

Cheers!

Clark