Cap rolling....

machinehead · 19313

Offline machinehead

Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 06:24:36 AM
Does anyone know how to tell the orientation for REL Caps AudioCaps?

Is there a way to test with a meter for correct orientation?

Offline labrat 10

Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 09:56:37 AM
Update on Quickie with Auricaps used as coupling caps, dont hear much difference than the stock ones but I guess they will improve with time. The big difference came when I installed the Amperex Bugle Boys, much more detail an no microponics, but I guess they should at $25 pr.
By the way how do you post pictures?.

Offline corndog71

Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 05:24:35 PM
Use a website like www.photobucket.com to host your pictures.  Then when you post here you add the link to your picture.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 06:11:20 PM
Additional options > attach > browse

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 01:42:23 AM
Bwa, ha, ha, ha!  (Boris' laugh)  Paul, a very interesting choice of random pictures.  I admit I had a thing for Natasha as a kid.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:55:14 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline bundee1

Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 01:49:07 AM
Hi machinehead any updates?

Offline machinehead

Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 03:46:10 AM
Not as far as finding the orientation of the REL AudioCaps.

But I am loving the Alps and AudioCap combo.  Still waiting on the cotton and silk tubing so I can go with the OCC silver wire.

The Telefunken and Mullard tubes are awesome, easily the best upgrade.

At this point I am guessing you would have to spend $1200 on a preamp to better this little quickie!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 05:50:36 AM
If I understood non-polarized film cap "orientation" it gives a modicum of additional noise rejection.  It doesn't flavor the sound in any way.

That is to say that you don't have to worry about a "wrongly oriented" cap sounding bad.

That is if I understood the posts several years back.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:20:05 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline machinehead

Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 03:56:16 AM
Hi machinehead any updates?

I think the caps are breaking in, for some reason yesterday I was listening to it and noticed that the soundstage was as deep as can be and
very layered and detailed.  Not something I have had before.

Offline mortron

Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:37 AM
I am looking for something to use as a power supply rather than 9v batteries, but I am not sure where to begin. I did see some SLA batteries for sale at the Surplus store the other week. Three 12V would do the trick, no? I am tempted to try, but it also means downtime between chargers, and am not sure where I would find a well priced charger locally.

Offline machinehead

Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 05:40:28 AM
I was looking at the doing something similar.  I had an idea, although it is not cheap.  Us qty (2) either NiCad or Lithium 18V battery packs from a cordless drill,  it would net you 36V total, and a quick charger is readily available.

I am looking for something to use as a power supply rather than 9v batteries, but I am not sure where to begin. I did see some SLA batteries for sale at the Surplus store the other week. Three 12V would do the trick, no? I am tempted to try, but it also means downtime between chargers, and am not sure where I would find a well priced charger locally.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 05:58:02 AM
Morton,

Yes, that is a viable option.  Remember, they have to be charged before use and charged as they run down. 

You need a charger.  Harbor Freight has one for $6-12 or somewhere in the mid $30 range.  The later is much better, the former will not charge all three at the same time.

These batteries run in series and charge in parallel, or singly with the cheap charger.

Offline mortron

Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 06:19:58 AM
Damn... i had 2 threads open at once... wrong thread there haha.

I am also looking at caps. I don't want to spend a tonne, but was wondering what Auricaps would do to the sound, or would Mundorf Supremes make a bigger difference? Like I mean, it will change the sound, right?

And which caps make the difference? Do both pairs? What about resistors?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:22:23 AM by mortron »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 06:30:01 AM
That is a matter of personal taste.  Poster Paully puts Auricaps in every build from the get go.  He is awfully sold on them.  I have had Auricaps and have also used KK PIO (Kommie Kap Paper In Oil), KK Teflon, TRW, Obbligato Film In Oil (Black) and some others I can't even remember.  Right now my Eros and FP 2 have Mundorf Silver/Oil caps.

Each is a different sound and rolling them in and out makes a sonic difference I either like or like less.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 07:27:31 PM
Hey Granger,

"These batteries run in series and charge in parallel, or singly with the cheap charger."

So that's the deal with the 3 connections on the battery packs? learn something new here every day...John

John Scanlon