Cap rolling....

machinehead · 19321

Offline machinehead

on: February 19, 2010, 12:12:21 PM
Capacitor change.

Gents, I wanted to try rolling some different caps ( the 2.2 uF ones) with some different types and brands.

If a certain brand only has a 2.0 uF cap, and I replace the 2.2 uF with this, what will the effect be?

I know I can add a .2uF one in parallel, but it starts getting expensive.

Thanks.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:27:47 PM
There will be no sonic effect from changing the value, only by changing the composition or brand.  Don't worry about 0.2uF.

Offline labrat 10

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 05:55:06 AM
I was thinking of changing the stock 2.2uf caps with some Solen 2.2uf/250v would I hear any difference in the sound?.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:33:49 AM
There would be a difference.  The most often liked brand of cap in Bottlehead equipment is Auricap.  Some don't like the sound of Solen caps but they are delivered in the Eros.  There is a whole long thing about sound flavoring and caps.  Each is different and you have to find out what you like.  It takes time (break in) and money.  Sadly there is no substitute for either.

Offline machinehead

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:45:40 AM
Grainger49 is right, you have to tune it to your ears and system.

However, some reading can help drill down, or at least give you an idea about the sonic qualities of each, I used this article to help with my decision:

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm

I went with the REL caps from Parts Express, (called Audio Caps) they rate very high on the list and are very reasonable ($25 each), I plan on soldering them in today. This article is great because of its thorough reasearch, there are others that deal with speaker cross over caps:

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Interesting that what my sound great in x-overs, may not in electronics.

Anyway, it is a starting point, then you have to see what sounds good in your system and what you like.

Offline corndog71

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 07:57:24 AM
I've been switching to Sonicap lately because I just find them to be very neutral yet still very dynamic with a nice, big soundstage.  Plus, if you get them from GR-Research, Danny will sell you matched pairs.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline IceOgre

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 04:21:12 PM
I was thinking of changing the stock 2.2uf caps with some Solen 2.2uf/250v would I hear any difference in the sound?.

What is the difference between and cap rated at 2.2uf 250v versus a cap at 2.2uf 800v and can either be used to upgrade the quickie?

Thanks,

Don

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:43:01 PM
What is the difference between and cap rated at 2.2uf 250v versus a cap at 2.2uf 800v

About 550V. Either one will work just fine, they are both more than adequate for a circuit that uses 4 9V batteries for power (36V B+).

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:39:03 AM
What is the difference between and cap rated at 2.2uf 250v versus a cap at 2.2uf 800v

About 550V.   .  .  . 

Thank you Doc!  Succinctly put, and saved me the typing.

P.S. The higher voltage cap will be much bigger too.

Offline IceOgre

Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 02:16:12 AM
I am new at this.  Can I assume that the voltage is the maximum handling capacity of the CAP?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 02:51:14 AM
I am new at this.  Can I assume that the voltage is the maximum handling capacity of the CAP?

There is the labeled voltage which is the DC working volts for the cap.  Then there is a seldom published surge voltage for capacitors.  This is higher and differs from manufacturer to manufacturer.  That is why in some circuits Paul Joppa would like to see an 800V cap, but he also admits that the 600V and 650V cap works well.  He posted this recently in another thread.

A Quickie has 36V max, no surge, on the circuit.  You would have to look hard to find one with a rated voltage that wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:52:56 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline machinehead

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 06:52:55 AM
here is my quickie with REL caps AudioCap Theta series, yes I need to re-route the ground wire, right now it is sitting under the cap.

Can't wait for them to break in, the at first listen not much difference to the broken in stock film caps. 
So I am hoping once these break in it will be a noticeable improvement.  I do here more upper octave details and better spread of sound stage,
not quite so centered in the middle of the sound stage.

Offline labrat 10

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 09:14:58 AM
I have a question about the Auricap's I am going to install in my Quickie, I see they have a red and black lead, does it make a difference which lead goes where.

Thanks, labrat 10

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 10:16:45 AM
Auricap says the black lead is the outer foil, which should go to the source (tube plate). Red goes to positive for power supply applications.

Paul Joppa

Offline labrat 10

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 10:40:51 AM
Thanks for the info, I will let you know the results.