Cap rolling....

machinehead · 19322

Offline Grainger49

Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 02:19:21 AM
I was saying you can only charge one battery at a time with the cheap charger.  I figured out the switch, 4PDT, wiring for two batteries but I might lose my mind trying to figure it for three. 

I would just manually swap them to parallel with jumpers if I were charging 3 at a time.

Offline proud indian

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 01:56:33 AM
Just some clarity.... the Obbligato Film In Oil (Black) does not have orientation right? Just got them a few days back are they are presently being broken in on the frybaby. I got the TKD as well, so before I solder just wanted to check.

Thanks

shreekant :)

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline bainjs

Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 03:15:09 AM
yes, that's correct. 

Joel Bain

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 05:06:45 AM
Film caps, unlike electrolytic, are non polar. It shouldn't matter which way you hook them up, although I have read some manufacturers recommend the film end to ground, on most caps you cant tell one for the other.

I guess this is a good opportunity to remind everyone to be VERY careful with getting the polarity right with electrolytics (ie. explosion)!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline proud indian

Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 03:43:35 AM
OK. Got it going today. Did break in the caps on the fry baby but the TKD has to break in. However, straight off it is much smoother with better bass. There is more detail and a wider stage. Overall, worth the investment.
My SEX 2.1 will have a TKD within a few days as I did not want to make too many changes .Hopefully  the C4S too be added, then I guess with the VCaps which are already in, I should be a happy man. BTW, a set of GE and RCA for the SEX and a set of Mullard for the Quickie are presently being cryoed and should reach me by Tuesday.... then the bar will need stocking up, cause a singlt malt with the above is close to SEX ;D

Thanks for all the inputs, everybody.

System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline proud indian

Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 03:47:55 AM
Forgot to add.... I for the caps matched and I dunno it is because of that or the TKD, the imaging is vet good with a perfect center . Earlier I did have times when the stage drifted, now it is really nice.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 04:03:53 AM
Forgot to add.... I for the caps matched and I dunno it is because of that or the TKD, the imaging is vet good with a perfect center . Earlier I did have times when the stage drifted, now it is really nice.

Hey Shreekant - what TKD did you get? I'm going to have to try those black Obligatto's.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline proud indian

Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 04:46:49 AM
100K,  2CP-601. Any idea how long pots take to break in?

I have only used stepped in my other other gear......easy to break in at constant fixed volume.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 09:08:02 AM
yep, thats the one I have. I like it. Dont know about 'break in' for pots. I tend not to think that break in is an issue with pots. I could be wrong.

Eric

Offline proud indian

Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 06:49:01 PM
I got lucky. The guys at Parts Conx did not have the caps and I had ordered it with the TKD. There was a delay of about 15days. During that time, they decided to have a 20% discount and I got eveything at a discount!!!!!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 02:58:35 AM
cool - more money for single malts!

Eric

Offline proud indian

Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 03:46:08 AM
Now, I dunno where the credit should go....... to the caps or the TKD. The bass is clean and the highs are getting very interesting. But the thing that I am kicked about is the stage. Really nice.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 01:41:57 PM
I agree with you on the 'staging' potentials with the Quickie. Very open and clean. Makes sense. Simple design. Most shops make their kit unnecessarily complex so that others cant copy it in two seconds. Not to take away from Paul's genius, just my opinion.

Eric