'Buzz' noise when adjusting volume? [SOLVED]

Aeolus Kratos · 2643

Offline Aeolus Kratos

on: December 03, 2013, 04:51:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Today I've just noticed a little problem from my Crack. After a decent time working perfectly, now my Crack began to cause some 'buzz' sound when I adjust the volume ( turn the volume knob ). The 'buzz' sounds like there is electricity in my headphone and it comes through both channel. I'm not very good at English so I'm trying to describe how it sounds. The 'buzz' sound only shows up when I turning the volume knob, otherwise it's back to dead silent. It's not a very serious problem, but it concerns me a little bit 'cause I'm used to the-total-dead-silent-crack.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Kratos.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:03:20 PM by Aeolus Kratos »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 06:14:53 AM
Does it buzz when you touch the top plate too? 

It sounds like an "induced" noise to me.

Offline STURMJ

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:49:49 AM
Or dose it buzz when you just touch the volume knob, not turning it? Would indicate the same thing Granger is getting at.

Offline vetmed

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:33:02 AM
Try turning the volume knob all the way up then all the way down 10 to 20 times, may just be a little corrosion or dirt on the pot tracks( with the power off ;D)

Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline Aeolus Kratos

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:05:04 PM
Does it buzz when you touch the top plate too? 

It sounds like an "induced" noise to me.

Hi Grainger,
No, it does not buzz at all when I touch the top plate or the volume knob, just when I am turning the volume knob.

Try turning the volume knob all the way up then all the way down 10 to 20 times, may just be a little corrosion or dirt on the pot tracks( with the power off ;D)

Robert Lees
Hi Robert,
Do I need to unplug the power chord and try to clean the pot tracks?

Thanks!
Kratos.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:08:33 PM by Aeolus Kratos »

Offline vetmed

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 04:42:53 AM
If "exercising" the pot didn't work I don't think trying some spray contact cleaner will do any harm. Just so that I am clear, it only makes a noise when you turn the knob, once you have set it to a volume you like it goes away? This is a part that many people replace with something of higher quality, if you would like to try that there is a ton of info here about appropriate replacements ;D

Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline Aeolus Kratos

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 05:02:42 PM
If "exercising" the pot didn't work I don't think trying some spray contact cleaner will do any harm. Just so that I am clear, it only makes a noise when you turn the knob, once you have set it to a volume you like it goes away? This is a part that many people replace with something of higher quality, if you would like to try that there is a ton of info here about appropriate replacements ;D

Robert Lees
Yes, you're right. Only when I turn the knob, once I reach my preferred listening volume level it goes away.

Problem was solved. I followed your instructions and the buzz has gone now. Thanks a lot, Robert!

Cheers,
Kratos.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 03:29:10 AM
Bottlehead supplies high quality new parts in their kits.  Some tubes are NOS.  But we don't know when the parts were manufactured.  Some may have sitting around for 10 years before getting used.  Cleaning the pot makes sense. 

I'm really glad it wasn't an induced noise problem.  They are hard to find.