Mcandmars ramblings \ build thread...

mcandmar · 39474

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #60 on: November 02, 2014, 12:50:58 PM
Hi,
 The RESISTOR that will be  for  C1 to C3 and C2 to C3  to reduced the noise can i use any type of 100R 1/2W or do you have any recommendations?

Thank You!

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #61 on: November 02, 2014, 01:17:18 PM
Any metal film will do the job, whatever you can get.

M.McCandless

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #62 on: November 02, 2014, 01:27:12 PM
Any metal film will do the job, whatever you can get.

THANK YOU!

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #63 on: November 14, 2014, 10:31:25 AM
 I finished replacing the 0R1 5W resistor that i screwed up while i was installing the 2 100R on C1 and C2.The reisistor mod works,No hum with the Q7X1/DT8XX 600R and HD6XX  but i still have slight HUM when using a 24 ohms headphone.I'am thinking of installing a CHOKE will this MOD help to lower the HUM?

THANKS!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #64 on: November 14, 2014, 10:56:27 AM
i still have slight HUM when using a 24 ohms headphone.
Are you using the 4 Ohm taps on the output transformers?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #65 on: November 14, 2014, 10:59:21 AM
Oops!I forgot about that 4ohm tap.No i used 8 ohm tap i will try the 4 ohm tap.

THANK YOU!

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #66 on: November 14, 2014, 11:23:37 AM
Sad to say the hum still there,The 4 ohm tap is quieter than 8 ohm tap.THANKS!

Offline mcandmar

Reply #67 on: November 14, 2014, 01:13:07 PM
What are the 24 ohms headphones you are using?    Interested to see what kind of sensitivity they have, for example IEM's just aren't going to fly.

The chokes can help a bit, but nowhere near as much as the resistor mod for eradicating hum.  The chokes seem to me more effective at higher frequency's to lower the noise floor and give a blacker background.  I cant really recommend them as a cure for hum due to the cost and hassle of trying to mount them.

I made many small tweaks which all helped in there own small way to quieten down the amp, i believe replacing the audio path input/output wiring helped greatly in that area. Its hard for me to say really as i did a mini rebuild and replaced so many components and bits of wiring at once i cant single out the difference each made.  It is also entirely possible you just have a slightly noisy set of tubes, is the hum the same on both channels?  and does it move if you switch the tubes around? 

M.McCandless

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #68 on: November 15, 2014, 02:23:46 AM
 I used Sony XB700 and Audio-Technica M30 with XB700 it's more hum than with M30 even with 4R tap still humming but it's very very low you really need to listened to it.My wife and my kid can't hear the hum until i told them so it's not bad at all and it's not affected by the volume pot so that is the good thing.It is dead quiet with Q701,DT880 600R and the HD650 the resistor MOD helps a lot to reduced the HUM.I can even used the 32R tap with higher impedance HP with very little HUM.It only bugs me because i was the one who build it and know that the hum is there other than that if don't let anyone know about the hum while they are listening to it they would not noticed.For the CHOKE i'am still planning to put a pair for $12 a piece it's not bad the only thing is where to mount it.

THANKS!

Offline mcandmar

Reply #69 on: November 15, 2014, 04:34:54 AM
Sony 106 (dB/mW) 24 ohm
Audio Technica 100 (dB/mW) 65 ohm

Those Sonys are sensitive alright. The Chokes may well give you that little edge you need, provided what you are hearing is coming from the HV supply.  Just keep in mind placment of the chokes is critical so they dont pickup, or interfere with any other iron inside the chassis.  I found the position i am using worked really well in that regard, which is just as well as i really didnt have any other options that would fit inside the wood base.

Not sure how up to date the thread pics are so here are a few pics of the current layout, getting the soldering iron in to mount the caps was a real challenge!

M.McCandless

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #70 on: November 15, 2014, 05:04:04 AM
Yeah i don't think if i can install the choke that way.
I will be upgrading the 1.5uf and the 0.1 caps next week so i will see if i can move stuff around to accommodate the choke.
(http://)http://cdn.head-fi.org/0/0f/200x200px-ZC-0f5f840a_DSC_3474.jpeg

THANKS!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:08:37 AM by i luvmusic 2 »

Offline mcandmar

Reply #71 on: November 15, 2014, 05:39:20 AM
I cant really make it out, did you leave the original 1.5uf caps in there too or?

M.McCandless

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #72 on: November 15, 2014, 05:48:41 AM
Yes the original 1.5 still there i will be replacing it with a 1.5 Mundorf.The big 2 caps  is the replacement for the 22uf.

Offline mcandmar

Reply #73 on: January 21, 2015, 05:51:49 PM
Novelty Caps: Gudeman paper in oil

When i found these oddballs on eBay i just had to have them. They are a paper in oil construction housed inside a hermetically sealed glass enclosure, rated at .1uf 5000vdc.  I've had these on my desk for a few months which provided constant amusement watching the air pocket slowly move around inside the glass, and i mean slow as it takes hours for anything to happen. I don’t know why but i found that oddly amusing.

I have no idea what these were originally intended for as there cant be too many applications requiring 4-5kv rated caps.  I haven’t been able to find very much information about Gudeman as a company other than they were based out of Chicago Illinois and produced a whole range of paper/oil caps around the 1950's and 60's.  They also seem very popular with the vintage Guitar community in tone circuitry, but little to no information was found regarding these glass cased high voltage caps.

On my capacitor testers both of these measure exactly .1uf and have no leakage up to 450v dc so they are still perfectly healthy.  With that in mind i removed the Russian Teflon FT-3's from my S.E.X. amp to see how they perform.  My expectation going from a Teflon capacitor to a Paper/Oil was a rolled off high end, and a thicker sounding presentation through the midrange.  Certainly that has been my experience in the past with different Russian PIO flavors. That is not really what i found at all, there is an almost imperceptible difference in high end detail vs the teflons, the midrange is very similar with maybe a tiny bit more warmth and smoothing, and a noticeably less rolled off low end.  I was expecting this to be a quick experiment before i soldered the FT3's back in but instead i found myself sitting up straight and paying attention.

The first big difference i have noticed is how much energy there is dynamically making the FT3's sound thin and weak in comparison. Movies with a recorded low frequency effects sound channel "LFE" have real powerful energy behind them now.  Its not a case of an over emphasized or overpowering low end, but more a realization of how much of the impact i was missing before.  If a kick drum goes thump, it goes thump!, not a bump.

The other big difference, and the one that has surprised me the most is its almost holographic presentation of the music. If you have ever heard a binaural recording where the soundstage has moved outside your expected boundaries to the point of startling you, that is kind of what i am experiencing. I have been listening to these caps for days now with different headphones and music and i still can’t wrap my head around what i am hearing, there are layers and depth of instrument separation and positioning that just wasn’t there before.  I just can’t seem to rationalize it which is driving me nuts, but on the other hand i have been rediscovering my entire music collection again and loving it.

Is it possible the FT-3's aren’t really as good as everybody makes them out to be?  or have i just stumbled across something rather special?   or gone a little insane?

M.McCandless

Offline Grainger49

Reply #74 on: January 22, 2015, 03:02:02 AM
I put a pair of these, 8kV rated, in the power supply for my electrostatic speakers; in the power supply.  Mine were bright red. 

Of course, they never gave a moment's problem.  The cheap mica caps that Infinity put in parallel/series to double the voltage rating were very unreliable.  That is less than a dollar for the caps in a $2000 speaker system.  Cheap asses!  Bottlehead wouldn't do that.