Non USB DAC for Raspberry Pi

Natural Sound · 26785

Offline Natural Sound

on: January 03, 2014, 07:14:35 AM
I stumbled upon a neat little I2s DAC for the Raspberry Pi. It incorporates a PCM5102A Burr-Brown chip operating up to 24bit/192kHz. The DAC board connects to the on-board sound connector P5 (you have to solder an 8-pin header to the Raspberry Pi).
http://www.hifiberry.com/dac

You can even enable a software filter if you are so inclined.
http://www.crazy-audio.com/2013/10/changing-the-output-filter-characteristics-of-the-hifiberry-mini-dac/

And if you'd prefer to use your external non-USB DAC instead the same company is working on a S/PDIF output board for the Raspberry Pi. The digi board uses the same P5 connector mentioned above.
http://www.hifiberry.com/hbdigi

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:47:42 AM
Great find. I will order one and try it out.

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:36:16 AM
Got the Hifiberry yesterday, soldered and installed it as directed on their web page. No issues there. Then I put volumio (beta 1, 1.1 does not work) (http://volumio.org/) on a spare SD card, booted the Pi and was instantly in business  8)

The thing just sounds awesome! No harshness or brightness, just a good sound quality way above its price point. A lot better than my Airport express. volumio has an easy to use browser interface and even supports Airplay. Definitely recommended as a price worthy alternative and a keeper for me.

Best

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline BNAL

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:19:51 AM
I was just looking at that Dac this morning. I have a Pi and want to give it a try. Thanks for the information.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:49:24 AM
Got the Hifiberry yesterday, soldered and installed it as directed on their web page. No issues there. Then I put volumio (beta 1, 1.1 does not work) (http://volumio.org/) on a spare SD card, booted the Pi and was instantly in business  8)

The thing just sounds awesome! No harshness or brightness, just a good sound quality way above its price point. A lot better than my Airport express. volumio has an easy to use browser interface and even supports Airplay. Definitely recommended as a price worthy alternative and a keeper for me.

Best

Michael

Good to hear Michael. Mine has not arrived yet. But I'm in the U.S. so I expect it will take a little longer.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 09:38:34 AM
This looks really interesting, I know my brother has a Raspberry Pi which is gathering dust for a while perhaps I can talk him into loaning it to me for a while. 90% of my listening is done via pc or ipad with Airplay.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline John EH

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 10:52:26 PM
Great find.  I saw that a while back and contemplated it for a bit but decided I have too many Pi's and DAC's around here now as it is.

The RPi works great with USB DAC's now however it didn't so much in the beginning.  They seem to have the bugs worked out of the USB bus now with the latest kernel updates.   Easy enough to run an external DAC if you first do

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get upgrade

then

sudo rpi-update

then

sudo shutdown -r now

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:43:43 AM
Great find.  I saw that a while back and contemplated it for a bit but decided I have too many Pi's and DAC's around here now as it is.

The RPi works great with USB DAC's now however it didn't so much in the beginning.  They seem to have the bugs worked out of the USB bus now with the latest kernel updates.   Easy enough to run an external DAC if you first do

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get upgrade

then

sudo rpi-update

then

sudo shutdown -r now

Yes, the new firmware update does seem settle things down a bit. The "click and pop" problems seem to have been taken care of anyway. I'm running a VA labs USB DAC and a Raspberry Pi out in my shop. I mainly use MPD to connect to my networked file shares and radio streams. In addition I occasionally use pianobar which is a lightweight command line program for Pandora. It sounds pretty damn good but knowing what I know about the shared USB implementation on the Pi I think the firmware is a band-aid. The HiFiBerry DAC connects directly to the PCM/I2S bus on the Pi's BCM2835 chip. Eliminating the shared USB port from the audio stream could potentially translate into higher quality sound. At least thats how I understand it anyway. 

Understand that I am not affiliated with the folks at HiFiBerry. I'm just intrigued with their product.

Offline SammyJ

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 06:30:33 AM
Hmmm,
Really interesting.  I've been wanted an excuse to mess with RPI for a bit, sounds like this is it.  Just picked up a Model B with the Hifiberry kit.  Planning on grabbing good external RCA connectors.  I'll report back with some results.

Just out of curiousity, how is Airplay in terms of audio quality?  Just haven't done any research on the topic.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 07:11:23 AM

Just out of curiousity, how is Airplay in terms of audio quality?  Just haven't done any research on the topic.

I have been very happy with the quality of Airplay, music streamed with it is certainly much better than any of my other sources in the house. My CD player or dvd player come nowhere close to retrieving the same amount of detail.

I use Airplay for streaming cd's  (ripped to lossless) to a Marantz NA7004 (which acts as my dac) feeding into my Bottlehead Crack. Controlled via pc or ipad,  fwiw I prefer the sound via Airplay to that of the same music fed via usb connection.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 07:16:14 AM
Re Airplay: I have not done any blind test with the RPI / Hifiberry, but to my ears there is no difference streaming the same file from the NAS vs. sending it via Airplay.

Offline John EH

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 01:36:40 PM

Best

Michael

Did you have to do anything to asound.conf or any other config file to get it to work?

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 07:05:56 PM
Volumio did not read the m4a files off the NAS at first. Found the solution in the volumio forum. I had to change the mpd.conf. There is an entry for the decoder "ffmpeg", which must read enabled "yes". The default was no and there is nowhere in the GUI to change it.

Here is the forum entry: http://volumio.org/forum/m4a-support-t14.html

Michael
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:07:47 PM by Zimmer64 »

Offline John EH

Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 11:44:54 PM
Volumio did not read the m4a files off the NAS at first. Found the solution in the volumio forum. I had to change the mpd.conf. There is an entry for the decoder "ffmpeg", which must read enabled "yes". The default was no and there is nowhere in the GUI to change it.

Here is the forum entry: http://volumio.org/forum/m4a-support-t14.html

Michael

Looks like no issue then with hardware, just with software.  I generally stream music from Logitech Media Server (squeeze plug) so I don't see an issue.  May order one and play with it.  Thanks.

Offline SammyJ

Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 01:59:15 PM
Anyone using OS X with RPi Model B to to create the SD for Volumio?  I can't get it to work for the life of me, but the same card, using NOOBS works fine :(