Crack - specific headphone kit?

Doc B. · 17186

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: January 23, 2014, 11:05:13 AM
Seems like the entry level headphone for Crack listening is something like a used HD600 for maybe $250 used. Would there be any interest in a kit that starts with a very bang for the buck good sounding headphone and modifies it with improved cabling, damping and electrical tweaking to optimize it for the Crack? Price might be in the $100-$150 range, including the headphones. Not saying it will stomp HD600s, but so far I'm pretty happy with our experiments and one nice advantage is the design has a closed back.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:05:44 PM
Yes. Would also be cool if it worked well with the Quickie modded for 'phones.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:08:56 PM
I'd be interested in a closed back set of phones, that's about my price point for new toys too.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:16 PM
Sounds interesting can I pre order? A closed set of cans optimize for the Crack would make a great bedside rig ideal for relaxed late listening.  My other half would be please about less leakage. A Headphone, Crack+Speedball bundle would be nice!

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:20:29 AM
I ordered some parts yesterday that should help me to see just how close I can get to what I have in mind. They should be here next week and we will get a little deeper into the project.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 07:35:22 AM
Could such a kit could be ordered from something like a Chinese menu, say select the version from column "A" (set up for rock-n-roll = more slam), or from Column "B" (optimized for classical listening = genteel slam + greater extension), or maybe from Column "C" (for jazz listening or female vocals = extended dynamic range and a focus on the mids)?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 07:57:24 AM
My plan is to develop the design to where it sounds the way I like, and in my experience you really want the same characteristics for all kinds of music. Certainly a person could take whatever we sell and modify it further to taste.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 09:39:11 AM
Count me in as interested.  I'd love a closed back alternative to my HD600s.

Bob Trancho

Offline NightFlight

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 12:16:36 PM
Interesting to see what you guys come up with.

Offline pendergast

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 03:52:04 PM
I am interested as well!

Offline STURMJ

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 07:50:01 PM
I'm in!

Offline M42

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 01:15:36 AM
I'm interested as well!

Jeff Hullin

Stereomour(2A3), Eros, Crack/Speedball, Thorens TD160 MKII, Grace F9E, Sennheiser HD600's, Frugelhorn 3's, DIY 8" Subs.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 02:21:47 PM
I did some more experimentation regarding this project today, with damping and loading. While I need proud papa syndrome to wear off before I can make a useful comment about the sound, I think we may have something quite viable. Suffice it to say I was head bobbing and found myself putting the experimental cans on in place of HD800s without being terribly let down. The sound is  different, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact there were some things I liked better from the experiment than I was hearing from the 800s. Bear in mind this is specifically with Crack as the source. With Mainline I suspect the 800s would walk away from the experimental cans, as they are being tuned specifically for Crack.

We have a couple of different cable samples on the way and some plugs. That will be the next step in experimentation. There are also some different pads on order.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Evan

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 03:31:00 PM
I'd commit to a pre-order. That price range is well within my experimentation budget. I'm all about having fun listening to the music, don't really care if it doesn't measure flat.

Stereomour => SEOS Fusion 12 Tempest

Crack => Senn HD600

Offline butchbass

Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 05:42:45 AM
I would be interested. I got some Skullcandy headphones for Christmas and they have convinced me that I would like to use headphones but need something better, especially more comfortable.

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra