Soul Sister Question

xcortes · 11044

Offline xcortes

on: February 25, 2014, 11:20:16 AM
The 5670 version of the SS shows the tube at 150V plate, 9.5mA and 3.2V bias (332 ohm cathode resistor). All is good 'til I take a look at the 5670 charts that show that at 150V and 9.mA the bias is more like 1.8. What am I'm missing?
Thanks

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:49:09 AM
Man, that is going waaaay back. I can't begin to remember where the numbers came from. Truth be told I can't even remember what tubes I ran in mine. It's imaginable that there is an error in the plate current figure on the schemo. I can take a look after we get the archive back up.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:21:17 PM
I know it's old. I was just studying it. No worries.

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline Mike F1

• Flyball Equipmemt
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 02:19:31 PM
I made this preamp: http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2477.msg19877.html#msg19877

I wired it as shown on the schematic then later I installed LED (HLMP6000) on the cathodes but didn't change the CCS.
I'd give the nod to the LED's. To my ears it sounds very delightful!

YMMV

Mike
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:02:30 PM by Mike F1 »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:36:18 PM
Just want to point out that the current iteration of this concept can be seen in the Mainline.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 12:18:53 PM
Wait! Where did the link for sexy Kiev dot com go? There were, presumably, many single Ukrainian models who wanted to meet me

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 03:14:05 PM
Wait! Where did the link for sexy Kiev dot com go? There were, presumably, many single Ukrainian models who wanted to meet me
We forwarded all your personal information to them ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 05:56:21 AM
Is this what you had in mind? Kiev model 2A.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 08:20:39 AM
It wasn't but it is now

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 09:13:54 AM
After reading about the Soul Sister/Kugelis proposed linestage in the Bottlehead newsletter, I began ordering and saving parts for the build. The first item was a pair of MQ Cobalt B-7 trannies for the output of the 6C45 tubes, and a pair of Transformer Volume Controls from I.A.G. which used Sowter trannies. Chokes to load the tubes and a dual power supply filled out the parts I was saving for a build that I had no time for. Good Luck for me at the Vancouver 2006 VALVE State of the Art Conference included Dan introducing me to Paul Birkeland, who was building Bottlehead proof-of-concept pieces for them. Paul built a beautiful enclosure for my linestage, including knobs a friend machined for me. V-caps provided coupling. This piece has been dead quiet and super reliable for 14 years of service, and a JJ 2A3-40 stereo amp followed, using MQ Co/M6 Pinstriped outputs along with a matching Eros phonostage using MQ trannies and chokes. Soon, Paul will be finishing up a pair of Jagers for me that will replace the Blumenstein Orca/BUF Sub combo that is playing now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:53:24 AM by Hank Murrow »

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 06:47:40 AM
Wow! Mr Birkeland builds beautiful pieces! Love them both!

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 01:57:02 PM
My Soul Sister/Kugelis MQ B7 cobalt linestage is now driving a Kaiju built by PB with the DC power supply and JJ 300B tubes preceded by Cu V-caps and driving the Bottlehead speakers. I am more than satisfied with the enlarged soundstage in my room, and the effortless presentation this combination gives. My "Final Music System" is now complete, thanks to Paul and the Crew at BH.

Now, I have a pair of bamboo Blumenstein Orcas plus BUF Subs with all mods by Clark himself available to anyone who is interested and willing to come to Eugene to audition them. A plate amp for the subs comes with them.

Cheers, Hank Murrow
[email protected]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 06:52:38 AM by Hank Murrow »