More tranny trouble? [solved]

Karl5150 · 11167

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 07:06:54 PM
These numbers tell us that the right channel is passing signal.

Did I misread your post about no hum, noise, and sound from the right channel? (I read this as the right channel doesn't work at all)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Karl5150

Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 05:02:07 AM
Paul,
Yes it is the right channel. That has been frustrating on my end, seeing resistance and voltages where they should be, on what had been an opperating system. I guess if it passes signal and the AC numbers (once correctly gathered) weren't too far out of line then at least I got the boards right. (small win?)
Josh,
I probed 10 at 10U with access to 10L limited by the cap, stand off and ground terminal. Maybe a cold solder to the RCA out has shown up from all the physical motion of adding the boards and testing.
I have to put aside my preconception that because it worked properly before, the problem can only be from the upgrade point forward.
I will check the AC V and lift the board to check the solder joints to the RCA out.
Thanks again for all your help with this.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 07:19:47 AM
I have to put aside my preconception that because it worked properly before, the problem can only be from the upgrade point forward.

Those are words of sage wisdom!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Karl5150

Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 07:13:56 AM
I had the guy at work who builds/repairs power amps for motion control look at it and he pointed out several solder joints he thinks are marginal. I will spend some time re-flowing and see where that goes.
Again, thanks for all the time and instruction on this.

Karl

Offline Karl5150

Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 08:07:28 AM
I believe we can marked this one solved.
First, thanks to all, especially PB, for the help. While I am not the most apt pupil, I did learn quite a lot and hope I will remember to apply these lessons in the future.
In the end it wasn't my marginal soldering (although I won't rule it out going forward) that was the source of trouble.
After removing it numerous times from the custom, copper tape lined box it shares with the S.E.X. and reflowing joints, checking the #s, returning it and having it work and then turning it on another time to not work (or vice versa) I realized the common thread:
It always checked-out outside the box. A tight fit, the right C4S board barely touched/barely didn't touch the box. Slightly melt one side of the stand-offs with the iron while applying pressure and the board cants slightly forward. Problem solved. (enter embarrassed emoticon here)

Karl

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 10:35:04 AM
Nice piece of diagnostic work! You are to be congratulated. Figuring out a difficult problem often takes out-of-the-box thinking (sic  :^)

Paul Joppa