News: Trouble logging in? Log in from the login page.
October 23, 2019, 01:00:13 PM

Author Topic: It had to happen eventually... capacitor upgrade question for the Mainline  (Read 24505 times)

Offline SmashBruh

In my Mainline i went for Mundorf Supreme 10uf SGO's (because i thought they would just fit when i measured on pictures). These just did not fit, by 1mm or so. You can secure them a bit higher up in the amp with some zipties.
They were a bit too expensive not to try. They sound good.

So, I'm about to install the same capacitors in my mainline because I got a good deal on them and had a little bit of a question regarding securing it-

Is it okay if the capacitors touch other components? Or do they need to be completely free-standing? I'm not really sure how hot those two top blocks on the side get or if it's bad if the capacitor touches the PCB so I just thought I'd check.

Offline SmashBruh

So for some reason the Mumforf 10uf SSGO juuuust got inside my mainline. Tom-a pretty much hits it on the head with his review. They sound good. Mine had 10 hours of use when I put them in but the more I listen the more I notice has improved. As of now I don’t think the upgrade was super worth the money, but I reserve the right to change my mind lol

Offline Tom-s

I'm very glad how it worked out for you. I think in my Mainline they just didn't fit. It's a matter of mm's. Don't have any pictures of the undersides unfortunately.
Let us know what you've come to think of the Mainline after some months of use! Do post in the headphones with Mainline thread! For me it's a magical pairing with HD800's. It's absolutely stellar. Never heard an amp like it (and have been to a massive amount of headphones shows over the last few years).

Offline SmashBruh

Re: It had to happen eventually... capacitor upgrade question for the Mainline
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2019, 12:08:58 AM »
I'm very glad how it worked out for you. I think in my Mainline they just didn't fit. It's a matter of mm's. Don't have any pictures of the undersides unfortunately.
Let us know what you've come to think of the Mainline after some months of use! Do post in the headphones with Mainline thread! For me it's a magical pairing with HD800's. It's absolutely stellar. Never heard an amp like it (and have been to a massive amount of headphones shows over the last few years).

So it's been a few months and I swear to god that the SGO's really opened up! I haven't gone back to the old Daytons because desoldering is a PITA for me/I'm not inclined to, but the texture of notes, dynamics, base response and detail retrieval really opened up! Imo they've made the amp rather less polite than it used to be and far more lively! It definitely sounds a little "tubier" than it used to, but it's still very tight and detailed. I also use my mainline out of it's balancedconnection with the HD650, ZMF Atticus, Verite and Auteur. They all sound fantastic out of the mainline but I have to say the Auteurs and Verite really pair beautifully with this amp when upgraded.

Offline hsdrggr

Re: It had to happen eventually... capacitor upgrade question for the Mainline
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2019, 03:23:19 PM »
If anyone needs a pair of Mundorf Supreme Filter Caps, 10uf.  I have a new pair that I just received for my Mainline and then changed my mind and ordered a pair of 15uf Caps. I order from Europe, so not worth the cost of returning the set of 10uf caps.
I'm in the United States, Florida to be exact and will ship them for free anywhere in CONUS. Price is $90 for the pair.
Retired Firefighter

BH Crack w/ speedball
BH Mainline