Iron C4S instructions for SeX kit

JIPPER · 38024

Offline JIPPER

on: October 19, 2009, 05:39:48 AM
Quote from: jrebman on October 17, 2009, 03:17:11
BTW, I can't seem to find the instructions for the iron/c4s upgrade as they are not on the new s.e.x. amp product page (yet?).

You can find the sex iron instructions at this link:
http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./ironsupplementkit.htm

It is linked from the old Bottlehead frontpage, through the community page, then the Sex Amp Stuff link, then scroll down to the link to iron supplement etc.  this link goes directly to the instructions.  It is difficult to find.

JP

Offline denti alligator

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 03:59:17 PM
Since those directions include cap upgrades and the C4S boards, both of which I've already done, I just want to be sure that installing the MagneQuest irons is really as simple as replacing the stock ones. Nothing needs to be removed or added, right?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:53:13 AM
Sam,

The MQ iron usually has fewer secondary taps (4, 8, 16 ohms) than the stock iron.  Sometime fewer primary taps in the case of the old line transformers. 

So, YES, it is awfully easy!

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:49:28 PM
Actually, I've found this to be a PITA, so far.

Just to confirm, when the instructions say "Remove the 1uF parallel feed coupling capacitor from each channel - terminals 15 and A2 on one side and terminals 35 and B6 on the other side," this is because those caps will be replaced as part of an upgrade. I ignore this if I'm just doing the irons?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:07:17 PM
Yes, the old Bottlehead supplied upgrade kit included new output/Parafeed caps.  So if you are just upgrading the iron, ignore removing the capacitors.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 04:27:48 PM
Thanks, Grainger. I figured as much.

So I got the damn things installed. A bit late for me to run resistance and voltage checks (do I need to?), but I quickly checked terminals 20 and 40 (where the new, blue wire goes) and wasn't getting any reading for resistance. The meter just kept flashing about like when it can't get a reading. Normal?

- Sam

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 05:46:58 PM
Some meters have trouble trying to read a highly inductive load, try measuring the iron you removed.

Essentially the new iron connects to the same places. Give your connection a good hard look and give it a try

John Scanlon

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 07:18:26 PM
As indicated in the parts list and the "parafeed capacitor wiring" section, the 1uF capacitors are replaced with 2uF premium capacitors - originally claritycaps, but pick you own favorite. The iron upgrade includes a plate choke of greater inductance, which works best with a correspondingly greater parafeed capacitance.

Paul Joppa

Offline denti alligator

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 02:31:38 AM
I replaced some of the caps with Obbligattos and Russian teflons. Grainger would know better than I, since he advised me on these.

- Sam

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 04:13:57 AM
He probably has the 2.2uF@630V Obbligato Black Film/Oil caps.  The KK Teflons are 0.1uF.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 04:39:45 AM
Plugged it in and it's playing fine. Haven't plugged in the speakers yet, though. How much break-in do these irons need, and what can I do to expedite it?

- Sam

Offline Grainger49

Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 05:17:48 AM
I heard an immediate improvement when I upgraded my Paramours.  I also moved the old plate choke to the power supply and changed the Parafeed cap at the same time.  So the improvements were multiple.

I think iron settles in with 50 hours of play and doesn't change much after 100 hours.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 08:43:46 AM
I've only spent a little time with these, but they're pretty magnificent. I've got the all nickel. There's more clarity and separation-- a deeper sound. Add to that a much more pronounced bass. More thoughts as I listen further.

- Sam

Offline denti alligator

Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 09:28:25 AM
On my favorite Kinks song, "Mindless Child of Motherhood," I'm hearing percussion I never knew was there!

These irons sound especially nice when the volume is up over 12 o clock on the pot.  ;)

- Sam

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 06:16:45 AM
Sam,

Congratulations -- nicely done!  I think at least part of the reason the upgrade sounds so good at the outset is that you've been burning in the caps with the old iron.  Also, the sound should improve after 45 minutes or so of each listening session (in other words, from a fresh power on) as the all-nickel cores get magnetized on power up and require music playing through them for some time before they are demagnetized.

Glad you're happy, and I expect things will continue to improve for a while  yet.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)