Progress Report

Paul Birkeland · 9131

Offline pred

Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 03:22:46 PM
Thanks,

Looking forward to it :)

BTW is it possible to know are you using 4p 3 switching positions for the selector? Furthermore,  can you share the value and the type of pots for balance and volume? I would like to get some shunts and elma's to pimp the pream righ from the start  8)

Pred
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:39:51 PM by pred »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 07:09:56 AM
BTW is it possible to know are you using 4p 3 switching positions for the selector? Furthermore,  can you share the value and the type of pots for balance and volume?
Yes, there is a 4P3T selector switch, a 100K logarithmic level control and 100K linear balance control.

We will also make the BeeQuiet available for this preamp as a level control upgrade.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Cleet Torres

Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 04:06:02 AM
Is the regulator there for the filament voltage? Does it run very hot?

I'm worried my "Cherry Bomb" paint may not stand the heat all that well. Maybe I can use a heatsink rather than bolting it directly to the chassis?

Thanks
Cleet

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 04:56:19 AM
It dissipates under 2W during normal operation, which is somewhat toasty, but it shouldn't bother your paint.

Overheatsinking of the regulator may lead to operational issues.  The regulator actually needs to be a little toasty to operate optimally. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Cleet Torres

Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 07:30:04 AM
It dissipates under 2W during normal operation, which is somewhat toasty, but it shouldn't bother your paint.

Paul any concerns that the paint may inhibit sufficient heat dissipation? I'm unfamilair with the glitter style pain I am considering, but it may have insulative properties a little higher than the run of the mill indoor gloss paints.

On the whole it looks like a nice spacious layout. Lots of room for some exotic caps and a choke or two.
thanks

Cleet

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 09:36:20 AM
This isn't something that I can really comment on.  I haven't tried that paint, I don't have a feel for how thick the paint layer will be, I don't know what the temperature rating of the paint is, etc. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Cleet Torres

Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 04:16:00 AM
I haven't tried that paint,

What? You haven't painted all your gear in glitter paint since you heard of the paint? What's wrong with you?  ;D

The paint is rather ... wel different. It's seems to shoot out flakes of glitter "semi suspended" in a milky medium. I say semi suspended because some flakes seem to fly off on their own. Never seen anything like that. Seems to work best on a white background. Creates a very strange effect depending on light conditions.

I suspect the artistic amongst us will be able to create some out there visual affect - maybe a canary yellow base coat with a blue flake? Amp building meets custom car building?

Looking forward to the kit, but I'm planning a VERY slow and deliberate build. Not decided what I want to do with the wood yet.

Regards
Cleet.

Offline coca

Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 09:52:32 AM
Paul, re "Particular grade of cat 5 wire:" Is that a top secret re brand?

Bernie.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 09:58:02 AM
He didn't say anything about brand, he said grade. It's plenum grade which means teflon insulated.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline coca

Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 04:49:40 PM
Thanks Doc.

Bernie.

Offline Mr. Davis

Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 07:16:30 PM

We will also make the BeeQuiet available for this preamp as a level control upgrade.

-PB

Will the current BeeQuiet work with the Smash? 

Or, will there be a new BeeQuiet designed to work with the Smash? As is in a SmashQuiet?.

And, when will the C4S upgrade come out?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:23:14 PM by Mr. Davis »

Perry Davis

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 09:24:05 PM
Will the current BeeQuiet work with the Smash? 

Or, will there be a new BeeQuiet designed to work with the Smash? As is in a SmashQuiet?.

And, when will the C4S upgrade come out?
Yes, but the installation will be a little different and the wire lengths a little different.

Look for the C4S upgrade somewhere around late June/early July.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Mr. Davis

Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 01:53:27 PM
Any news on the C4S upgrade?

Perry Davis

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 04:12:06 PM
Any news on the C4S upgrade?

I built the prototype and installed in on our "not quite right" Smash in the lab.  Josh is currently hammering away on the Quicksand manual, and I believe the Smash upgrade may be the next manual we shoot. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Grainger49

Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 12:16:53 AM
Does the Quicksand require a hammer?

(Insert tongue in cheek)