Who has experience mounting SUT's in their Eros?

Downhome Upstate · 2807

Offline Downhome Upstate

on: June 28, 2014, 07:56:54 AM
Hey, y'all.  Just ordered the Eros, and a pair of the new Cinemag CM-1254 step-up transformers. I'm planing to use the SUTs with a Zu Denon 103R (0.25 mv and cartridge impedance of 40 ohms). I think the 1:10 configuration should be just about right, after finding the right resistance across the secondaries to get a reflected impedance of somewhere between 150 (?) to 400 ohms.

Anyway, here come the questions: who mounted step-ups in their Eros? How did you attach them? Where did you place them? Did you experience any problems with noise or hum in your setup? And if so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks!

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline MisterM

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:22:16 AM
I don't know about mounting SUTs inside the EROS base, but I used Hashimoto SUTs in a separate metal case with the recommended grounding.  I learned that shielding and proper grounding are very important to avoid hum. Also placing the SUTs too close to a power transformer magnetic field or turntable motor magnetic field will cause hum. You may want to temporally install them and try different orientations or locations.

Frank Horvatich

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:01:12 AM
Hey, y'all.  Just ordered the Eros, and a pair of the new Cinemag CM-1254 step-up transformers. Anyway, here come the questions: who mounted step-ups in their Eros? How did you attach them? Where did you place them? Did you experience any problems with noise or hum in your setup? And if so, how did you deal with it?

Paul Birkeland built a custom Eros for me which utilizes Altec 4722 SUT's mounted on the rear panel as shown below. This mounting is as far from the Power Supply as possible. I took it to a Salon here in Eugene to see if there would be hum with the Altec SUT's. Turns out there was none heard when we had it running with a lo-output cartridge. YMMV, of course, but Paul's choice of location was very clever.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 01:45:35 PM
Good Lord, Hank. What is the rest of that rig?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:16:49 PM
I collected tasty parts for 8 years including much MagneQuest iron; but by The VSAC_Vancouver I realized I would never have time to put together a highly modified scratch build. So Doc introduced me to PB there, and we agreed on much of my original plan, especially regards the Linestage. With IAG TVC's up front, and MQ B7 Cobalts as outputs from 6C45Pi's, TinTF V-caps, and PJ's trick PS it was a worthy beginning. The 2A3 stereo amp followed, with Cobalt-laced MQ 2004's, dual separate PJ power supplies, and CuTF V-caps. Then the modified Eros Phono-stage with more MQ iron and nickle, V-caps, and Altec 4722's. This is fed by A VPI table with Rega arm with BPS EVO lll cartridge. An Oppo DVP 95, Senn 600's, fed by a BHCustoms Crack, and Blumenstein Orcas+Buf Subs fill out my system, which will truly be complete when I receive the new DAC. I love it!  If you search for Hank Murrow's posts you will find lots of pics and descriptions going back a few years; but here is a tasty one!  PB is an artist, and the whole BH Gang is very generous indeed. Cheers, Hank in Eugene

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:18:25 PM by Hank Murrow »