Smash newbie build

Stedes · 9815

Offline Stedes

on: September 02, 2014, 01:51:18 AM
Hey guys

This is my first build so I thought I'd start a thread with a few pictures and a few words about what it's like to build one of these if you haven't done anything like this before. Any tips or help or any comments that you want to make ... feel free  :D

So the box arrived from the US (finally...). I was getting really impatient but I have to say the lead in and delivery times were spot on. After shipping it took about 2 weeks which is within the 6-10 working days USPS quotes. Everything was packed in a compact box and there was lots of soft packing material...

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/FMXD-J0C2HtlR52JGkNNaLDP1B8Dcmag8yqp42XH8P8=w1212-h909-no)

Initially got everything out of the box...remember to double check as one of the packets got stuck onto some packing material and it could easily be missed and thrown away. All components were grouped and packed in little bags as you can see here...

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NcxMyHMwkmI/VAWu7ExoiZI/AAAAAAAABtk/81hTWnH4Qqw/w1212-h909-no/IMG_20140902_174928nopm.jpg)

After this I took all the components out of the packets and checked all are present using the parts list that is included (one is also at the beginning of the manual)...There was a little bit of a learning curve here for me. Being from Cyprus (Europe) originally I've never used inches before so it took me a little longer identifying the different screws etc.

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n5lNRk8kEl4/VAWu98zvNnI/AAAAAAAABts/VhH_FJwjvZI/w1212-h909-no/IMG_20140902_192719.jpg)

And onto the build itself. Very excited by this point. I did notice some scratches on the aluminium main panel which was a little bit disappointing. I kept looking at the underside and thinking that I liked the rougher swirly finish a lot better...then realised the swirly side is actually the top one...woohoo...so excited and happy at this point (you can laugh!)...
Started with the power socket and power toggle button...and then the RCA sockets...

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-YuPx_-CSFs0/VAWvGVF0fkI/AAAAAAAABuE/yIYqLuJg0GY/w1212-h909-no/IMG_20140902_201033.jpg)

Then continued with the earth point, tube sockets, terminals and transformer. And finally for tonight I added the volume pot, balance pot and source selector...

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4cLM3sYTN8g/VAWvIN4wrqI/AAAAAAAABuQ/KBBaEwq-0e0/w1212-h909-no/IMG_20140902_210541.jpg)

Top view so far...

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-l8JN448pDuI/VAWvJuIpiII/AAAAAAAABuU/t1yTe9uWtIQ/w1212-h909-no/IMG_20140902_210552.jpg)

And so to bed...
Tomorrow planning to start with the wooden base. Will pick up some nice dark varnish and some masking tape (which I'm sure I have somewhere but can't find). Any suggestions for colours or any types of varnishes very welcome. I have no experience in woodwork whatsoever...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:09:23 AM by Stedes »

Offline Frihed89

Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:19:23 AM
Great pics and visual instructions. More please.  I plan to order this kit.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:33:41 AM
Nice pictures.  Keep them coming.

Suggestions, look in the Tech Tools folder and you will find a sticky of needed tools for a first build.  I added a spare set of tubes so you have the peace of mind at startup.  You will want to roll tubes anyway.

I suggest you measure every resister before you assemble.  Remember most are 1% tolerance but some are 5%.

Take your time and stop when you feel tired.  A vast majority of mistakes are made when you are tired.

If in doubt, ask here.  Bottleheads are up at any hour of the day.

And, welcome, good luck.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:02:29 AM
  You will want to roll tubes anyway.

What tube rolling advice can you give for the 4P1L?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 05:50:54 AM
What tube rolling advice can you give for the 4P1L?

Put the left one in the right socket, put the right one in the left socket. I think that this could be an interesting kit that leads people away from simply changing flavors and calling it a mod and really learning how to make ice cream. The trick mods to the Smash will be working up clever isolation for the directly heated tubes and installing the BeeQuiet attenuator.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 06:47:48 AM
PB, none.  What have you got for a 1620? 

Are you saying that different manufacturer's tubes don't sound different?  Even the USSR Surplus tubes sound different from different decades, and there were different plants making the tubes differently.  Kind of like GE and Telefunken.

I know that Dan is saying that redesigning is better than flavoring.  But flavoring still works.

Why do you feel a need to stomp an opinion?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:55:53 AM
The point is that there is just one kind of 4P1L, from one factory.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:19:49 AM
He could have said that.  It isn't common knowledge.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 11:49:42 AM
What about the Chinese made 4P1S?

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 11:53:35 AM
PB, none.  What have you got for a 1620? 

I don't have any direct experience with the 1620.

Are you saying that different manufacturer's tubes don't sound different?  Even the USSR Surplus tubes sound different from different decades, and there were different plants making the tubes differently.  Kind of like GE and Telefunken.

The 4P1L is sufficiently flashed that you usually can't see what's inside the tube.

I know that Dan is saying that redesigning is better than flavoring.  But flavoring still works.
Eh, not really in this case, with these tubes.

Why do you feel a need to stomp an opinion?

I'm just stomping on bad, generic advice that doesn't apply to this situation.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Stedes

Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:53:19 PM
Nice pictures.  Keep them coming.

Suggestions, look in the Tech Tools folder and you will find a sticky of needed tools for a first build.  I added a spare set of tubes so you have the peace of mind at startup.  You will want to roll tubes anyway.

I suggest you measure every resister before you assemble.  Remember most are 1% tolerance but some are 5%.

Take your time and stop when you feel tired.  A vast majority of mistakes are made when you are tired.

If in doubt, ask here.  Bottleheads are up at any hour of the day.

And, welcome, good luck.

Thanks Grainger, Doc and everyone else. It's great to get such a response. I'm a really impatient person (aren't we all?) and on the one hand I can't wait to listen to this and on the other hand I will be sad when it's done...hopefully the new matching power amp will be shipping by then???

You are right about feeling tired though. With my home circumstances I can only work on this at night when it is quiet and I can concentrate on it. I stopped last night where I did cause my hands were actually getting sore. Hopefully I will get to work on the base today a little and maybe start with some soldering tonight.

Doc when do you think any upgrades such as the BeeQuiet will be available for this?

Since the response has been good I will keep posting.

Thanks all. What a great bunch of people...

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 02:23:16 PM
You guys might want to watch for an announcement about the upcoming amp tomorrow. And the guys will be working on the BeeQuiet for Smash in the next few weeks.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline gh0st

Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 02:29:52 PM
Any word on C4S4Smash Doc?

Dom V

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 02:39:39 PM
I don't have any direct experience with the 1620.The 4P1L is sufficiently flashed that you usually can't see what's inside the tube.Eh, not really in this case, with these tubes.
I'm just stomping on bad, generic advice that doesn't apply to this situation.

I don't have experience with the 4P1L either, but with the run of tube failures that I have read about recently a spare set is a good idea.  I can't imagine why you would think otherwise or feel the need to say it isn't a good idea.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:17:43 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Stedes

Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 01:49:34 AM
Day 2:

Didn't do much today. My wife and daughter were both home sick (the flu) and I had to run some errands. One of them was to head to the local hardware for some woodwork supplies.

I got some advice from the old timers there about staining and varnishing and ended up with a small tub of this stuff in a colour called Acorn in a glossy base:

http://cabots.com.au/product-detail/1448/Stain%20_%20Varnish%20Water%20Based

Brush, masking tape and wood glue later we were out the store and heading home

I first attached the pieces of alderwood using masking tape like everyone recommends and I then applied glue and ...

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-OuIyDVC0KWM/VAb9YFbBJHI/AAAAAAAABvo/FM--138QbY0/w1291-h968-no/IMG_20140903_163804.jpg)

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4S7ZjZ7uQRY/VAb9aa8a3sI/AAAAAAAABv0/PNwtbKLuF8c/w1291-h968-no/IMG_20140903_163818.jpg)

Excess glue wiped off, not a big drama as just a little bit came out of only 2 of the 4 joints. In this one you can see the varnish and brush and left....waiting....lurking in the background....

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-XIlVNo0UpsY/VAb9cNMoNII/AAAAAAAABv4/0AWSPJatKmA/w1291-h968-no/IMG_20140903_163829.jpg)

After about an hour, I couldn't resist having a first look...

(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XjmfOaQRa0M/VAb9eWXOsaI/AAAAAAAABv8/8hLNJmreNAc/w1291-h968-no/IMG_20140903_164104.jpg)

So...I will resume this probably on Friday as I am at work tomorrow until late (shift work). And yes....I am awaiting the amplifier announcement.

One thing I was meaning to ask...is everyone's transformer housing like mine? Out of the box it looks a bit corroded and there's a couple of dark stains on the corners so I was thinking of painting it. Any tips as to whether it's ok to do this? Does it get really hot? If so what kind of prep is needed and what kind of paint have people used?

See you all soon.