Prototype images

Doc B. · 21835

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 06:55:14 PM
Doc can you give me some info on the power requirements, AC or DC and voltage?

We will supply a universal wall wart with the DAC.  The DC voltage can be between 6V and 9V DC, power consumption is pretty low, something like ~400mA (Swenson is going to pop on here and correct all this I'm sure!). 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 07:21:12 PM
Thanks Paul, that's enough for me to stew over for the time being.  I will have plenty of questions for John when he comes along so i'll start a separate thread to discuss further...

M.McCandless

Offline johnsonad

Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 03:08:50 PM
Did I miss what chip you are using? Will that be in the details for the crowd sharing?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 04:41:09 PM
Here is a rendering of my plan for the front panel shape.  More details and specs are sitting in a PDF at the moment, and John is pouring over them to be sure nothing is missing. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 05:00:07 PM
That looks much better Paul.  Have we lost the ability to switch between filter modes?

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 05:01:22 PM
That looks much better Paul.  Have we lost the ability to switch between filter modes?
Yes, John's filter is the only one you want! ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline marantzfan

Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 07:21:26 PM
Nice.  I like the direction this is heading.

BeePre, Paramounts 1.1, Eros, Thorens TD-124/AudioMods Tonearm/Ortofon 2M Black, IFI Micro Idsd, HQPlayer,  Altec 604-8G Duplex/620 Cabinets/Markwart Crossovers

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701

Offline johnsonad

Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 04:00:12 AM
Found on another forum but wanted to confirm, is the chip in this DAC the PCM5102/5142? 

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 06:24:23 AM
PCM5142. In terms of the digtal to analog conversion that's just one part of this DAC. John has reassigned some of what that chip usually does to the FPGA that is, as John puts it, the brains of the thing. I am hoping to put a detailed description up tomorrow, just adding the finishing touches to it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline TonyBo

Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 02:04:02 AM
Any rough idea about the enclosure size?

The picture looks like a narrow, taller unit.

Here is a rendering of my plan for the front panel shape.  More details and specs are sitting in a PDF at the moment, and John is pouring over them to be sure nothing is missing. 

-PB

Offline TonyBo

Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 02:10:24 AM
We have also been working on dressing up the final appearance a little bit.

A good idea.  :-)

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 08:13:47 PM
The shape of the rendering is nice!  Any chance you all might consider offering a more pedestrian color scheme/option for those of us who are constantly dancing around WAF aesthetics issues?  To preserve marital harmony, I would happily pay a surcharge for a clear coat aluminum enclosure with minimal white lettering and a cutout for the led display.  Totally understand if that isn't possible but figured I would at least ask.

Mike M.

Offline Ryelands

Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 12:20:06 AM
The price will be $1550. I'm putting together details about the DAC and how it functions.

Two questions.

1. Should I add UK excise duty to that price?

2. What music players are recommended to get the high upsampling rates?

Thanks in anticipation . . .

Dave
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:35:45 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 05:35:43 AM
Two questions.

1. Should I add UK excise duty to that price?

2. What music players are recommended to get the high upsampling rates?

Thanks in anticipation . . .

Dave

Ouch I had forgotten about that  :( don't forget to add the Royal mails parcel force ransom fee, err I mean handling fee either!

I wonder if DHL or FEDEX might be a cost effective option? At least there should not then be the rip of handling fee our UK end.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:38:24 AM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 05:43:27 AM
The shape of the rendering is nice!  Any chance you all might consider offering a more pedestrian color scheme/option for those of us who are constantly dancing around WAF aesthetics issues?  To preserve marital harmony, I would happily pay a surcharge for a clear coat aluminum enclosure with minimal white lettering and a cutout for the led display.  Totally understand if that isn't possible but figured I would at least ask.

This DAC is not particularly large, I'd address the WAF issue by tucking it away where it can't be seen. (It's black anyway...?)

The enclosure we are using isn't available in anodized aluminum.  A 1-off aluminum box would take design time and several prototypes.  Even if the aluminum enclosure was only $800 (which would be a reasonable estimate for something that looks better in aluminum than what we have now), I would need to make a few to work out the bugs, and spend the time to develop them, so the 1-off $800 enclosure is more like $2400-3200, plus the cost of the DAC. 

-PB
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:06:54 PM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland