DAC crowdfunding now in progress

Doc B. · 42487

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 06:05:38 AM
Just 19 hours into this crowdfund and we are halfway there! Thank you Hank and Robert! Just ten more commitments are needed to get the project into production.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jfmcox

Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 06:31:12 AM
Sounds incredible.  Ordered.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 06:34:13 AM
And we are now at 11 commitments, with just nine left to go! Thanks John! The support here is incredible, thanks so much to everyone who has committed so far. Dare we fantasize that we might have this first production run covered in the first couple of days?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 07:33:57 AM
And we have twelve commitments. Thank you Jay! Just 8 to go...
By the way PB and I are working on the production cabinet today. If things go well I hope to have a photo posted this weekend.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 08:14:22 AM
Hey Doc,

Hearing "cabinet" made me think of a question.  Would there be any reason (say, heat) that one would be advised not to make a decorative 'sleeve' or cover for the DAC?  Something strictly cosmetic that just slipped over the metal portion of the chassis and would lay between the front and back panels (as shown in the prototype photo), sort of like the old cabinets you'd slide a tube tuner or receiver into.

thanks,

David

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 08:35:37 AM
Hey Doc,

Hearing "cabinet" made me think of a question.  Would there be any reason (say, heat) that one would be advised not to make a decorative 'sleeve' or cover for the DAC?  Something strictly cosmetic that just slipped over the metal portion of the chassis and would lay between the front and back panels (as shown in the prototype photo), sort of like the old cabinets you'd slide a tube tuner or receiver into.

A DAC coozy? 

Heat won't be an issue, but you have to promise to post photos. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 08:41:18 AM
Our only concern is that we won't be able to honor a warranty if the cabinet has been opened. So if you make a sleeve that slips over or U shaped cover that fits over the case that would be fine. But if you take the end panels off to install a "square tube" the warranty will be void.

I know this is hard for our dedicated customers to perceive since we have always been very supportive of anyone who wants to mod a kit. But this is a finished product with very expensive components that can be damaged if mishandled, and the only way we can afford to put these out at the price we have set is by making it clear that if a main board is fried in the process of someone besides us going into the cabinet the user will have to buy a new board and have us install it.

We are going out of our way to make the setup as bullet proof as possible. In fact in our last round of adjustments to one of the secondary boards in the DAC we included some additional protection against users trying to connect a supply that might be too high a voltage or the wrong polarity.

The photos of the final cabinet may alay some concerns about the cosmetics. It looks a little more finished than the prototype.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 08:47:23 AM
Say, Paul;  I imagine Clark will be able to supply something that matches his other 'bamboo tuxedos'. Hope he is listening! Maybe his cover could be installed 'at the factory', and thus less problematical in terms of the warranty. I'd love to see this as an option on the order page.

Glad to be on board, Hank

PS: I am superb with wet clay, but a klutz with electronics, so very happy that you will be building mine!

Offline caffeinator

Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 09:15:30 AM
Yep - a Dac coozy indeed...hmmm...Dacoozy sounds almost like a decent, if a bit cheeky, product name.

Thanks for the elaboration on the end panels...I was thinking of a sleeve but now it's a U, with maybe a top (or bottom) to enable non-invasive installation.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 11:28:36 AM
Lucky thirteen! Just seven to go to hit our goal!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 11:29:33 AM
I need to make my decision soon. C'mon guys, buy the Big Pre!

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 03:01:15 PM
And we are at fourteen. Thanks Aaron! Wouldn't it be something if we could reach our goal of twenty before the weekend is over? We just need six more people to get on board and we will be ready to start ordering up a big ol' pile of chips.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:20:44 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mike B

Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 03:40:50 PM
Good idea re the voltage & polarity protection.

I can't tell you how many of my customers fried parts with over voltage / reverse polarity.  And the reverse polarity protection is one cheap diode.

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 03:56:01 PM
Doc,
Are you locked in at 20, will the >20 crowd go into the next run or will the initial run be increased?  I need this to last till the 22nd...at this rate I'll be in the second run.
Alonzo

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 04:08:10 PM
OK, I'm in.

BTW - The problem with the checkout is still there. I found a workaround though. Go to preferences and select a smaller font. I had to go from 16 to 10. I think the field is just a wee bit too small for larger fonts.

Now the waiting begins...............