DAC crowdfunding now in progress

Doc B. · 42485

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 04:23:44 PM
Ok, we are at 16 commited. Thanks Phuong and Tom! And also thanks to Dave, who was lucky thirteen and I forgot to thank! Just four to go to make this happen. We are certainly not locked in at 20, but we must have at least 20 or we can't do a production run at all. The sooner we get to 20 the sooner we can order the most critical parts, and the sooner everyone will get their DAC.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 06:30:01 AM
Ok, we are at 16 commited. Thanks Phuong and Tom! And also thanks to Dave, who was lucky thirteen and I forgot to thank! Just four to go to make this happen. We are certainly not locked in at 20, but we must have at least 20 or we can't do a production run at all. The sooner we get to 20 the sooner we can order the most critical parts, and the sooner everyone will get their DAC.

Cool, so you'll keep taking orders after the 20! Nice. I really want one of these, but can't be part of the 20. I'm pleased to see it's happening so fast.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 07:19:38 AM
Thank you Frank, Craig and David! That brings us to nineteen commitments for the new DAC.

We just need one more to get this production rolling! Who's going to get us over the top?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Aural Robert

Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 01:06:12 PM
Wow, I almost pulled the trigger, but the CDN to US conversion puts me over $1800. I'm gonna wait a few days and see if Stevie has a plan to improve things.

I have until the 23rd to get the free cable so I will be hitting the buy button before then for sure.

Aural Robert
... don't forget your mittens ...

Origin Live Calypso TT w String Theory arm & Shure V15VxMR, Eros or BH DAC -> BeePre -> MonAmor 2A3s w JJ's => Blumestein Bamboo Tritons on Blumenstein Bamboo stands, AND Enhanced SEX w Sexy spkrs and subs in the WAF zone. DIY Belden 89259 w Eichmann interconnects throughout

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 06:12:04 PM
We now have 24 commitments. Thank you Greg, Ansgar, Jerome, Marian, and Dave! We will be getting orders in for the components that we have to order in quantity to receive licensing as soon as possible. That way we will have them ready when we are starting the production run at the end of the crowdfunding.

I want to remind those of you who are thinking of commiting that our special offer of a Supra USB cable to be included with your DAC lasts through Thursday October 23rd.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 07:26:18 AM
Excellent news, congrats on a successful project (http://www.cr-x.org/gif/beer.gif)

M.McCandless

Offline pdxgrampa

Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 08:20:40 AM
Might they be ready for Santa's Sleigh ?:D

Greg
Music Hall 5.1SE,EROS. OPPO 980HD, Music Hall 25.3 Dac. BeePre/BeeQuiet. Paramount V1.1 300B,Orca Deluxe W/ Subs/SPA250s.Stereomour W/Orca Deluxe. Crack W/Speeball(2) .Beyerdynamic 990s.Crackheadphone.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 10:17:56 AM
We are estimating early January for delivery of the first units. A software icense needs to be acquired. Chips have to be ordered and programmed by the manufacturer. The boards have to be made, assembled  shipped to us and programmed some more. There are a lot of steps in the process so I prefer to take a conservative approach to a delivery estimate.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 10:21:46 AM
" I prefer to take a conservative approach to a delivery estimate"

For a change?

(It's a joke)

Xavier Cortes

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 09:41:30 AM
Wouldn't it be something if we could reach our goal of twenty before the weekend is over?

You did, congrats.  :)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 10:01:07 AM
As of this morning I think we are at 25 DACs ordered. We crunched the numbers for this run a couple months ago and I was reviewing them this morning. Basically it works out that we need to order parts for 40 DACs (plus a $minimum order$ of a much larger number of oscillators and USB chips) to get the best prices and actually break even. I figure we will need a few review samples, so that means we have about 10 left from this first run. Certainly we will do more runs so this is not a one time deal. It will just some extra time to get the boards made for those future runs as we will need to continue to order the boards in lots of at least 40. So if you want to get a DAC sooner rather than later (like probably January rather than maybe February or March) it might behoove you to commit to one of the ten or so remaining in this first production run.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 12:15:24 PM
Does this mean every new run will require a certain number of orders, or will there just be a longer wait as funds come in from other places, too?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 01:32:30 PM
The plan right now is to get the first 40 going ASAP. It might take a little time to get a feel for how far ahead to order another run so that it comes in around the time the existing run sells out. For this first round the lead time on this stuff is like 4-6 weeks to get the chips made and programmed and then after that a couple more weeks to get the boards made and assembled. Then we have to assemble, test and burn in the DACs. For board production runs after the first run that initial 4-6 week wait for the chips won't be a factor for quite a while, because we have to buy a s**t ton of them up front.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 11:15:41 PM
Congratulations Doc and Team Bottlehead!!! I wish I could have been a part of the opening run, but I'm excited to see that the project is now a reality - very excited for you all!!!

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 10:57:53 AM
Just a quick reminder that today is the last day to get in on the free-Supra-USB-cable-with-your-DAC-order deal.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.