Ahh, Son of a B***h!

Doc B. · 4886

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: May 10, 2010, 03:31:11 PM
Been favoring a very sore knee for the past few weeks. This afternoon I was taking a photo of the new Stereomour, turned to set my glasses down, felt a POP, and apparently finished whatever I started a few weeks ago - tore the everlovin' s**t out of my calf muscle. Gonna be on crutches for at least a week. Nope, not the leg I broke five years ago, the other one. Dumb, dumb, stupid, arrrrggh! Anyway just wanted to let everyone know that I'll be moving a little slower than usual, and definitely not running to catch the phone.

Doc tried to give me Oxy, like when I broke my leg. It's terrible stuff for me and I told him I wouldn't take it. The medical community will not publicly acknowledge my research that two martinis is a much more effective pain killer (although most of my doctor relatives self medicate their old warhorse injuries the same way I do...)

Waiter! Where's that Martini???!!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:55:06 PM
I've been in and out a back contracture for a few months. Down here tequilas work great.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:13:32 PM
I had a bad experience at the bachelor party for my first marriage that has precluded me from enjoying tequila ever since (can you say "blind drunk"?). But I am sure tequila would be an effective pain preventive treatment if used wisely. "Back contracture". Is that like really bad muscle spasms? That is for sure exquisite pain! Hope it is getting better for ya'.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 04:44:47 PM
I have a spare raised toilet seat with the handles and a spare walker. I'll be sure to bring them by for you.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Bodyslam

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 05:59:44 PM
OK, Doc, I'm going out to the kitchen and make you a Martini right now. Hope it helps.

Paul Stubblebine
Paul Stubblebine Mastering, San Francisco
The Tape Project, LLC
serious student of the audio arts

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:25:43 AM
OK, Doc, I'm going out to the kitchen and make you a Martini right now. Hope it helps.

Bwahahaha!  I hadn't thought of that.  I'll get him a Bourbon.

Doc, aging sucks.  I got one knee fixed 15 years ago, the other one is acting up now.  I can't imagine tearing a calf muscle.

Ride this with Queen for what it is worth!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:52:29 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline RPMac

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 03:35:48 AM
xcortes, I love gold tequila...what's your preferred anejo...I mean, medication!!!

Offline xcortes

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 04:48:14 AM
There's nothing like good old Herradura Reposado. There's zillion of boutique tequilas but I stick to Herradura Reposado or Cuervo Tradicional.

Xavier Cortes

Offline debk

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 04:50:21 AM
Hope you feel better

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paully

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 05:05:04 AM
Churchill said something along the lines of he liked to make his martini by pouring the gin, glance briefly at the bottle of vermouth across the room, then drink.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 10:40:48 AM
Doc only looks at the vermouth bottle through the glass cabinet door - if you open the door, you might get too much vermouth flavor!

If I'm real good he will sometimes spritz my glass with vermouth from a tiny perfume sprayer. I think he then washes his hands before proceeding...

At home, I like about 8:1 with a couple drops of absinthe - but it does depend on the gin being used.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline ironbut

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 03:23:25 PM
dudes!

What the hecks goin' on!
I hate to sound preachy but if we're going to spend all day long at our desk/workbench/computer, we've gotta have some kind of regular exercise built into our schedules.
At least I do for sure.
After I was laid off from my job in construction (where they paid me to exercise all day), in a few months I started feeling various aches and pains and I had to be more careful with how I exerted myself.
I figured I'd start taking a walk several times a week to see if that helped. Now, I won't say that I feel like superman now but I can abuse my joints and muscles just like I always did without putting myself in the hospital.
I get pretty bored with most kinds of "real" exercise. But, I've gotten to like my walks as kind of a head clearing reality check. Reminds me a little of when I was a kid and walked everywhere.

Pain sucks.
So, take care of yourselves you guys!

steve koto

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 04:10:53 PM
Actually I've been going to the gym and doing upper body workouts twice a week, and walking three days a week for about three months. As near as I can tell I created this problem on the rowing machine and the elliptical after I was back in decent shape, and starting to jog again.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ironbut

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 04:46:35 PM
Bummer,.. sounds like you're in a lot better shape than I'm in!
So much for my sermon.
Must be the photography?

Get well soon,.. you too Xavier.

steve koto

Offline xcortes

Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 12:58:19 PM
Get well soon,.. you too Xavier

I won't if I don't quit lifting things. But today I came across a set of Western Electric Woofers, field coil drivers and horns (acoustic lenses actually). For what I paid for this it insane not carrying all quickly and running from there!

BTW Steve: The R10s are here. A quick listen yesterday trough a Sex amp with MQ iron (and other goodies), source was vinyl through a Seduction. Holy S#$t! These are gooooood an coooooomfortable! No need to look for another set of cans ever (well, maybe a second set)! Can't wait to try them with my ATR and TP material.

Xavier Cortes