Power Cord Kit for Bottlehead Crack on HD 650's

Jimb0 · 7639

Offline Jimb0

on: December 29, 2014, 08:55:45 PM
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing the Power Cord Kit to get a wider soundstage as one guy reviewed in one the post. I'm using HD 650's on Crack/Speedball. Has anyone here tried the power cord kit with my setup? I'm still very skeptical on spending that much that not a lot of people have reviewed about. If someone could provide more detailed info on this that would be sweet!

Thanks!

Jim

Offline Mike V.

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 12:54:24 PM
Jim,

I got one, is an easy DIY upgrade to do. If you want to get a complete DIY combo is a great idea. It certainly would improve the sound as you will get a cleaner electric input in to the crack. But do not expect a BIG change, you should try a tube swap, or just enjoy the speedball upgrade.

Where I really found a great improvement was combining the powercord and interconects kits to the Crack/Speeball/HD650.

Hope this helps you decide.

Miguel

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:57:11 PM by Mike V. »

Crack w/Speedball/HD650/DacMagic-100/

Mainline (on the way)/K702/ProJect Xpression III Classic w/ DL-103R/ Speedbox/Cambridge Audio 651p/

Offline Mr. Electric Wizard

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 09:49:22 AM
Bummer that the interconnect kit isn't available anymore.
I just bought a pair of interconnects from Blue Jeans Cable.  Hope these are as good.  :)

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 10:32:24 AM
Yeah, I also would have sprung for some interconnect kits. Parts shopping isn’t as fun as building.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 12:27:55 PM
Unfortunately the number of interconnect kits ordered didn't justify keeping them in the catalog. It's too bad, as I think they work quite well. The Blue Jean cables made with 89259 sound pretty close to the cables we sold, using similar materials and construction. I found the Switchcraft right angle RCA plugs we used sounded a little better to me than the straight Canares they use. Or perhaps the soldered connection we used sounded a little bit better than the crimped connection they use. Not sure exactly what created the difference I heard.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline CrowDaddy

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 11:44:38 AM
For those of us who'd like to try, could you give suggestions on making our own interconnects with 89259 and the Switchcraft connectors?
For example, are the instructions for your interconnect kits still available?
Thanks!

Offline oguinn

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 01:02:31 PM

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball