Sg4S (Cr4C) in place of the OD3

paulw · 1927

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
on: December 30, 2014, 03:38:09 AM
Just wondered if anyone had tried this Russian equivalent for no other reason than it would be a visually similar to the 4P1L's shape.

(http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r81/4will8/audio/OD3_zps0ae29f7f.jpg)

it's the little tube on the left.

Paul

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 03:57:03 PM
I tried one before in a test circuit and it kept going out where two different VR150's worked fine.  From memory i was only feeding it 180v so i think it may require a higher voltage to light and stay running. I believe 185v is the norm striking voltage for these tubes.  It may work fine in a smash circuit, but personally i much prefer the look of the big glass tubes..

M.McCandless

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 04:12:10 PM
I've used an 0D3A in a Foreplay III, which is also a smaller tube. I liked it because it fits nicely in my low-headroom rack, but it did cause some noise. My Raytheon potato masher has been solid for years. I also think the little BIG little tube pattern looks nice.

Disclaimer that should be on all tube discussions but never is:
This sample size is tiny: I have used one tube of this type. This is neither an authoritative nor definitive survey. Anyone that draws sweeping conclusions about a tube type or manufacturer based on one tube is foolish. Anyone that pulls together a large enough sample set to make conclusions is insane.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 04:57:11 PM
Potato masher lol.

I was trying to decide if i was foolish or insane when i remembered the box of Sylvania OD3Ws i have here.  Its better to be insane than foolish :)

M.McCandless