Replacement tube works, however, misaligned and smoky smell but ...[Solved]

TheCoolDoc · 6394

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
You should proceed with the voltage checks.  If you are having trouble not shorting out neighboring terminals, wrap some tape around all but the tip of your red meter probe's metal end.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline TheCoolDoc

You should proceed with the voltage checks.  If you are having trouble not shorting out neighboring terminals, wrap some tape around all but the tip of your red meter probe's metal end.

-PB

Terminal - Expected - Actual
1 - 75/90 - 0
2 - 170 - 126
3 - 0 - 0
4 - 170 - 130
5 - 75/90 - 0
6 - 0 - 0
7 - 100 - 45
8 - 0 - 0
9 - 100 - 25
10 - 0 - 0
11 - 0 - 0
12 - 0 - 0
13 - 170 - 125/130
14 - 0 - 0
15 - 185 - 165/170
20 - 0 - 0
21 - 206 - 203

Did the short circuit do something to terminals 1 and 5?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Unplug the 6080, then try again.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline TheCoolDoc

Unplug the 6080, then try again.

-PB

Terminal - Expected - Actual
1 - 75/90 - 0
2 - 170 - 235/240
3 - 0 - 0
4 - 170 - 235/240
5 - 75/90 - 0
6 - 0 - 0
7 - 100 - 2/3
8 - 0 - 0
9 - 100 - 2/3
10 - 0 - 0
11 - 0 - 0
12 - 0 - 0
13 - 170 - 235/240
14 - 0 - 0
15 - 185 - 235/240
20 - 0 - 0
21 - 206 - 235/240

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
I would suspect that the center leg of each MJE-350 isn't adequately soldered.

It's tough to debug a situation like this, as you had your Crack operational for about a day before installing the Speedball, so there could be some underlying issue that has nothing to do with the Speedball itself. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline TheCoolDoc

It's tough to debug a situation like this, as you had your Crack operational for about a day before installing the Speedball, so there could be some underlying issue that has nothing to do with the Speedball itself. 

-PB

The crack has been operational for about 6 days now. It hasn't caused any problems during that time and the resistance/voltage readings were flawless for it. I really think the upgrade has the issue.

I'll try resoldering the MJE-350s.

Why would one LED be brighter and one on the B board not work at all?

Is there anything else I can try if it doesn't work? I'll post better pictures so that maybe a second set of eyes can tell.

Offline TheCoolDoc

-PB

Now the problem has shifted a little. The two LEDs on the A board a brighter than the rest and now two LEDs don't light up anymore. I didn't even touch the LEDs with the soldering iron and one was lighting before.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Your A side MJE350 is definitely backwards. B side is unclear. The soldering on both is quite blobby (not heated long enough), and the A side R1 appears to not be soldered on one side.

Also it is hard to tell which small transistor is which from the photographs, but it appears in 1113 that the forward small transistor on the big board is a 2N2907, where it should be a 2N2222.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:00:06 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline TheCoolDoc

Your A side MJE350 is definitely backwards. B side is unclear. The soldering on both is quite blobby (not heated long enough), and the A side R1 appears to not be soldered on one side.

Also it is hard to tell which small transistor is which from the photographs, but it appears in 1113 that the forward small transistor on the big board is a 2N2907, where it should be a 2N2222.

I replaced the transistors and now the lights on the big board work fine. All are equally lit. However when I repositioned the MJE350 on both boards the lights are not working. Big board is still fine but small boards are not
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:04:46 PM by TheCoolDoc »

Offline TheCoolDoc

I put the MJE-350s back to the way they were again and now the right light of each A, B board is on but not the left. This is without the 6080 tube inside btw. The 12AU7 is inside.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
If the text on the MJE350 is facing towards the volume control, it will not work. Your photographs are unclear about orientation, but if it is how you describe, then it is incorrect and will not work.

It also appears that you have the 31.6Ω resistors on the small boards. Again this will cause major problems. You need to carefully go through your manual and confirm that all transistors and resistors are in their correct locations and correct orientation.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline TheCoolDoc

If the text on the MJE350 is facing towards the volume control, it will not work. Your photographs are unclear about orientation, but if it is how you describe, then it is incorrect and will not work.

It also appears that you have the 31.6Ω resistors on the small boards. Again this will cause major problems. You need to carefully go through your manual and confirm that all transistors and resistors are in their correct locations and correct orientation.

Will do so. Sorry for sounding like I don't appreciate all the help, however, I truly think my kit had bundled the wrong transistors in the wrong baggies. I hadn't even opened the small boards' parts before I finished the large board or vice versa...which is why I probably assumed the two transistors that look so similar must be the same since they are in the same bag. Careless mistake that me or the kit preparers could have made.

Anyway I digress and will make sure all looks in accordance with the manual.

In your past experience, are these a common problem to LEDs not lighting up?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Will do so. Sorry for sounding like I don't appreciate all the help, however, I truly think my kit had bundled the wrong transistors in the wrong baggies.
The Speedball transistors and diodes are all packed in the same bag. 

In your past experience, are these a common problem to LEDs not lighting up?
See the bright red bold text at the bottom of page 12, when this instruction is followed properly, transistors are not swapped.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline TheCoolDoc

The Speedball transistors and diodes are all packed in the same bag. 
See the bright red bold text at the bottom of page 12, when this instruction is followed properly, transistors are not swapped.

The transistors are in the correct positions now. The MJE-350 is supposed to be facing the other way, but no LED lights up when I do this. If they are facing the way they are currently the right LEDs on the small boards light up. The resistors seem fine as well.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Could you post another photo of the components on the PC boards? There is only one way that the transistors can be oriented for the amp to play music, so let's make sure they are in the way they should be, and then we can move on to the next step.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.