Replacement tube works, however, misaligned and smoky smell but ...[Solved]

TheCoolDoc · 6391

Offline TheCoolDoc

Could you post another photo of the components on the PC boards? There is only one way that the transistors can be oriented for the amp to play music, so let's make sure they are in the way they should be, and then we can move on to the next step.

I switched the resistors as one was incorrect I think. (They look so similar but I got them down). Now both small boards are lighting up (switched MJE-350s) as well, however the main board isn't lighting up anything. The nine pin socket's LEDs are much brighter than the small boards above it. Is this something to consider? Pics below. I DON'T have the 6080 plugged in btw. Is that it?

Hahah this is so fun and sad at the same time. Being a teen this fascinates me.

Offline TheCoolDoc

Edit: plugged in 6080 and everything lights up. Doing voltage tests now. Happy!  ;D

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
We still can't see whether the MJE 350's are oriented properly. A photo showing the faces of the MJE350's would suffice.

What are your voltages at T1 and T5?

You can measure the R1 resistors when they are in the board (amp off). 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline TheCoolDoc

We still can't see whether the MJE 350's are oriented properly. A photo showing the faces of the MJE350's would suffice.

What are your voltages at T1 and T5?

You can measure the R1 resistors when they are in the board (amp off).

Passed all voltages with excellence. Testing the headphone jack now. Do you recommend I do the headphone jack grounding mod that is sticked right now as well? Is it mandatory?

Since you asked. T1 and T5 are both around 80

The photos I take of the MJE-350 don't show much, but the text is away from the volume knob if that helps. It all looks good to me.

EDIT: Headphone TRS jack jumped to 13 then went to 0. It's not 9, but I think the speedball is supposed to raise that voltage. It's safe to test, correct?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:44:04 PM by TheCoolDoc »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Go ahead and have a listen.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline TheCoolDoc

Perfection.

THANK YOU so much to everyone that helped. Means a lot to someone who isn't even remotely as experienced. I'm going to make sure all the solder joints are strong because not everything in the music is exactly "clear" currently. It's subtle, but it's most likely from weak joints after all the speedball threads I've read on here.

I learned a lot from this journey.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Hahah this is so fun and sad at the same time. Being a teen this fascinates me.
Well most of us old farts will roll our eyes (having been teens ourselves long ago) but as you've seen, we'll pitch in and help you get going. Congrats on getting it working!

Paul Joppa